mapgen snow maps are too bright

i only have this issue on snowy mapgen maps, not man-made snowy maps

That's interesting, because the snow biome is made from the settings from Frithen. If other snow maps are okay, then we can do some tweaks to improve the mapgen snow maps. Is white fire okay? Feel free to name some maps that you think look nice and are readable, then I will take a look.

and maps have a brightness slider that can be adjusted very easily.

I thought your laptop has a brightness slider? Did you mean that?

No, when making maps there is a brightness slider that you can adjust to make a map brighter or darker. And yeah frithen is fine, because it uses dark textures underneath mex icons to make the mexes stand out more. It also uses a wider variety of mixed textures so the bright white colour isnt overwhelming. it might even use a lower brightness setting than mapgen, i dont know
If you'd rather not adjust the snow map brightness setting, you could code it so snow maps use darker textures around mex spots

I've just checked and noticed white fire is pretty bright too, but i guess it never bothered me because i know where all the mex are anyway, and its predominantly water and not the insanely bright white

Unironically I use the eye-saver mode and it drastically helps to reduce the brightness. Even though the first minute is a pain until you're getting used to it again, if it's possible to enable it with only one button as I can do on my monitor, I'd advice trying out that one.
I do agree that the brightness should be lowered a bit though, especially watching people play these with Bloom turned on it's just a pain

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Turning the overall brightness any lower makes the snow look like gray ash again. We could try to make the snow a little bluer to increase the contrast to the green mexes. That's why I asked for specific snow maps that are better for you. On my monitor the mapgen maps don't appear too bright, so I rely on your input for maps that do it better

niflheim, arctic refuge, frithen, polar depression, metir
what all of these maps have in common is that they mix a darker texture with the snow, or use a darker texture as the base while using the white snow as a decorative layer (mainly noticed on niflheim and polar depression)

@blackyps
Making the snow bluer is not a good idea as this would likely increase eye strain when looking at the map.

It's funny, but I had to surrender on a 1v1 neroxis snow map because my eyes said no.

@sheikah Yes, blue is high-frequency, more energy, there are solutions for all operating systems to reduce blue light when you are about to go to sleep.

Dr disrespect has the solution!

Adding to this thread, I also think that it's really hard to see mex locations on snowy mapgens.

Untitled.png

I have to strain my eyes a lot more than other map types to see the mex spots and over time have noticed on multiple occasions that I, or someone I'm in a call with, miss a mex or two on these types of maps.

I usually turn up my screen brightness a lot and im afraid thats not very good for my eyes lol

I assume you both play with bloom off?

@BlackYps @Jip Can we have a toggle that changes the color of the mex to something like a dull-red? Bit similar to the toggle for team colours.

Should help since the contrast between a red and white is significantly better than with the green/yellow we have now. If you're wanna be all fancy, could have it auto-detect on maps that use snow textures.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

@waffelznoob said in mapgen snow maps are too bright:

i remember seeing this on the forums a while back but cant find it
anyway, snow maps are too bright. when can we expect this to be fixed?

Either turn your screen brightness down for snow maps or wear sunglasses.

I wouldn't advise too dark a shade of sunglasses though, you want the ones with a mild shade that dims the light by say, 5-10%.

average gamer wearing sunglasses in his dark room