Why would you have left FAF?

@nflanders said in Why would you have left FAF?:

@brutus5000 said in [Why would you have left FAF?]

Sucks, but what is the alternative?

What if we start negotiations with Nordic Games?
But who will negotiate? Is there an excellent diplomat in the FAF structure who is capable of such a task?

For example, you can offer joint development of a battle pass. In-game cosmetics for ACU. In exchange, they will make SC:FA free.
test2.png

If you don’t know where to start, you can consult Chris Taylor. He has extensive experience interacting with publishers. I think he will not refuse help and will tell you how best to negotiate.

If FAF had a penny for every time someone suggested shit like this, shit like this wouldn't get suggested anymore. But also, props to you for having the shittiest of shit suggestions I've seen. You want microtransactions and a battlepass added to what is essentially already a free game? Yikes

If FAF had a penny for every time someone suggested shit like this, shit like this wouldn't get suggested anymore. But also, props to you for having the shittiest of shit suggestions

These kind of comments....says it all.

Sucks, but what is the alternative?

What if we start negotiations with Nordic Games?
But who will negotiate? Is there an excellent diplomat in the FAF structure who is capable of such a task?

For example, you can offer joint development of a battle pass. In-game cosmetics for ACU. In exchange, they will make SC:FA free.

If you don’t know where to start, you can consult Chris Taylor. He has extensive experience interacting with publishers. I think he will not refuse help and will tell you how best to negotiate.

I'm so confused. What problem are you trying to solve here? You keep making suggestions that seem aimed at bringing in money, but to what end?

@brutus5000 said in Why would you have left FAF?:

it can be free forever

If everything is free, how can my friend and I try your project for free? A friend has seen enough of Yuri’s video and wants to try playing FAF, but to do this he needs to pay 5 times more than the game costs to an intermediary who will buy him this game since it is not sold in Russia. And spend a lot of time searching for an intermediary and corresponding with him (I bought the game 15 years ago and played on GPGnet)
We play, but only in GAF, there is no other option.

For us ordinary players, it doesn’t matter whether you are a commercial or non-profit organization, we still have to pay and it doesn’t matter to whom, the fact is that access to the FAF project is paid.

If I have to make a choice, I would rather FAF become a commercial organization and SC:FA become completely free on Steam.

You can play in GAF, because they give a shit about copyright law and they people running it live in a country where they probably won't be sued for violating copyright law of a "western" company. This doesn't apply to anybody living in Europe or North America.

So players are required to pay the game which on sale costs like 2€ while all other games compared cost a lot more. Sucks, but what is the alternative?

a) Run your own copy of FAF and go the risk yourself. You can do this. This is exactly how GAF works.
b) Collect millions from other people to buy the game rights. But WHY would anybody do this without expecting a return on invest? Be it getting annoyed with ads until the end of the universe or dumbing the game down to reach wider audience or whatever. I think the playerbase prefers to pay off a small one time fee and be done with it.

no one canceled the ability to copy C:\ProgramData\FAForever and send it to a friend and play on RAdmin or another local network

Funnily enough, the vibe that I'm getting from the low rating / gapper balance complaints is not too dissimilar from high level balance complaints. A common sentiment among high level mapgen players is that arty/nukes/sat are lame, and people seem to generally prefer exp land wars in lategame. So I don't think the views are totally incompatible.

@nflanders
They bought this game for their portfolio.
They may not even know that the game has an audience 🤓 .

@exselsior said in Why would you have left FAF?:

You can technically use the client without having supreme commander installed.

That's a big 'technically', given that you CAN'T use the client without having paid for supreme commander on GoG or steam.
(And like nflander's friend, it was really frustrating for me who bought the game decades ago - and I also have friends who bought the game decades ago, but can't play FaF because they didn't buy it again on GoG/steam)

If I'm honest, I bought it really cheap on GoG - about £3... And I honestly like the fact that accounts are linked to purchases, since it stops smurfing on the ladder VERY effectively. But it is a real shame that so many people who bought supreme commander are probably in the position of being unable to play FaF; particularly given that FaF devs don't get paid for supreme commander purchases!

If you bought the game before steam you can get it through steam by sending them you CD key. I bought it when it came out in 2007 and still have the box and CD, still play "through" steam.

If $10 is stopping you from play though idk what to tell ya.

Fetch your CD key, use it to activate it as a game code in Steam, boom valid license.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@redx said in [Why would you have left FAF?]

I'm so confused. What problem are you trying to solve here? You keep making suggestions that seem aimed at bringing in money, but to what end?

Can I solve the problem? Of course not. If there was a person who would try to negotiate cooperation with Nordic Games.
Success largely depends on the character of the negotiator.
This can help solve a very wide range of problems.

Here is the maximum program:

1. Completely solve the problem of lags and disconnections during the game. Ideally, a system like in Beyond All Reason RTS, where only those with a poor connection to the server lag, everyone else enjoys the game. (more details: https://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=37637)

2. The game can become free on Steam. Will solve the problem with "funnel".

@ftxcommando said in Why would you have left FAF?:

the problems FAF has always had with regards for players isn't retention related, it's funnel related.

Does the negotiator achieve success or not, if someone wants to try why not? The main thing is that the person is competent.

Can you just ban him?

@endranii said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Can you just ban him?

Ban who?

Can I solve the problem? Of course not. If there was a person who would try to negotiate cooperation with Nordic Games.

1. Completely solve the problem of lags and disconnections during the game. Ideally, a system like in Beyond All Reason RTS, where only those with a poor connection to the server lag, everyone else enjoys the game. (more details: https://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=37637)

the problems FAF has always had with regards for players isn't retention related, it's funnel related.

Does the negotiator achieve success or not, if someone wants to try why not? The main thing is that the person is competent.

Lol, I give 100% success here

@spikeynoob
The dude above me who is trolling you for the past few days?

Even if you could somehow convince Nordic to care about FAF, you would have to completely rewrite the game to completely solve lag and connection issues. The reason the game is so susceptible to connection issues is literally the very core of how the game's simulation engine works. You'd literally be better off porting all of the game mechanics and units to Spring or something than trying to change SC:FA into a client/server game.

To be frank, none of the problems you are trying to solve are problems that are a fundamental barrier to playing FAF for pretty much anyone. The only people for whom SC:FA not being free is a real barrier to entry is people who are blocked from Steam because of political reasons. Can people in that country even download free games from Steam? Even if you got your pipe dream, it wouldn't affect player retention. You're pushing super hard for something that is irrelevant to everyone except you.

@redx said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Even if you could somehow convince Nordic to care about FAF, you would have to completely rewrite the game to completely solve lag and connection issues. The reason the game is so susceptible to connection issues is literally the very core of how the game's simulation engine works. You'd literally be better off porting all of the game mechanics and units to Spring or something than trying to change SC:FA into a client/server game.

Spring uses deterministic lockstep like supcom, besides you don't want an authoritative server RTS regardless.

Connection issues are in no way 'core' to how the game works. You wouldn't need to rewrite the game to solve network lag.

You'd most likely have to make significant changes to increase the sim tickrate (source of most of what appears as input lag) gracefully though.

@blodir Isn't the input lag something that's deliberate (and not related to the sim)?
Because you need the input lag, to compensate for potential network lag.
That's why the game has a standard input lag of X ms, so people that have X ping to each other can still play together without stuttering.
That is because the engine expects input from every player on every tick, so if you have a higher ping than the input lag, the game micro freezes till all inputs arrive.
Changing the simulation tick rate shouldn't matter, but you'd need to rewrite how the engine works to be able to solve this lag problem. You'd need to introduce some kind of rollback code, that when there is no input from a player continues the simulation, but once the input for an earlier frame arrives, you'd need to roll back to that state and recompute up to the current tick (that's how most fighting games work), but that's a pretty heavy workload for a complex simulation like supcom (that doesn't even manage to run in real time sometimes).

As far as I understand springRTS, it handles it by having a server-client architecture, with the server as the single source of truth, so when someone lags behind they'll just get updated to the state of the server.

@nex said in Why would you have left FAF?:

@blodir Isn't the input lag something that's deliberate (and not related to the sim)?
Because you need the input lag, to compensate for potential network lag.
That's why the game has a standard input lag of X ms, so people that have X ping to each other can still play together without stuttering.
That is because the engine expects input from every player on every tick, so if you have a higher ping than the input lag, the game micro freezes till all inputs arrive.
Changing the simulation tick rate shouldn't matter, but you'd need to rewrite how the engine works to be able to solve this lag problem. You'd need to introduce some kind of rollback code, that when there is no input from a player continues the simulation, but once the input for an earlier frame arrives, you'd need to roll back to that state and recompute up to the current tick (that's how most fighting games work), but that's a pretty heavy workload for a complex simulation like supcom (that doesn't even manage to run in real time sometimes).

As far as I understand springRTS, it handles it by having a server-client architecture, with the server as the single source of truth, so when someone lags behind they'll just get updated to the state of the server.

Tick n:

• collect pooled inputs during the time between tick n-1 and now and send to other players. Mark these inputs as destined for tick n+1
  • run simulation with inputs destined for tick n (if inputs for tick n have not been received from all players, then pause)

So with 500ms sim tick length if you enter input (eg. give a move command to a unit) 10ms into tick n-1, then the input will be sent at 500ms, and executed at 1000ms. That is a 990ms input delay, which is tied to the sim tick rate.

@nex said in Why would you have left FAF?:

I don't know much about springRTS, but based on quick googling this is incorrect and it works the same as supcom and just about every other RTS. Note that the client-server network topology is not mutually exclusive with deterministic lockstep. When people refer to a server in the context of games like eg. sc2 they are referring to a proxy server that facilitates connections between the players (just like what we have in faf!) (though it is possible to have some extra functionality too, just not the kind that you are describing)

@blodir the current tick rate is 100ms tho, so doubling(halving) that to 50ms will only give you a marginal increase in responsiveness compared to the current 150(?) ms of input lag