Factory models

@penguin_ said in Factory models:

These all seem like fixable problems. Why can't we just fix/adjust them as needed and use the old models?

This would need a complete texture rework which is a lot of work. It's a way easier approach if we try to come up with different models. I am positive that it is possible to come up with good ideas for the HQs. Some of the old HQs are not exactly the pinnacle of 3D design even if you ignore all the technical issues. Take for example the cybran T3 navy HQ. It looks very weird.

It will be hard for people that don't know how to use 3D software to really gauge if their proposals are feasible, but in essence we can take any part of the model, duplicate it as often as we want and attach it in arbitrary rotations somewhere on the model. We can scale it a little, but not too much and ideally only the same amount in all directions. Otherwise the texture will begin to noticeably stretch.
Lastly the new geometry should come out of the ground or from somewhere in the model during the upgrade animation as we need to "store" the parts for the higher tier factories somewhere in the model or underground.

lotta text that i aint reading but i very very much prefer the old factory looks, especially HQs
if it is not possible to make them look like that with better shading/animations, then i'd prefer there be no shading/animations and we keep the old models

profile picture credits to petric

@blackyps said in Factory models:

attach it in arbitrary rotations somewhere

while possible this will cause the same lighting issues we are fixing

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

well, it depends if there is inbaked ambient occlusion at that part. But yes, that can happen, that's why I said it's hard to gauge if that would be feasible as it depends on the specific part that you choose and it's easiest to gauge that by opening the unit in blender and checking which not everybody can do

Me personally i honestly like the design of mostly aeon but i think cybran take the cake for worst hq designs besides air factory

Idk i liked designs of old hqs more because they were super distinct, but i never looked at them closely, so i never noticed anything wrong with them. Like you dont look at buildings ever, its just waste of time, so it doesnt break my immersion in game. Benefit of old design is that you have easier time spotting hq once in eternity when you zoom in. But so far i had no issue with hq models and likely will never have them.

Skill issue

I like the idea behind the new design but yeah what they lack is the ability to know if they are HQ or support facs when zoomed out.

Could we at least have the Engie mod on the vault for legacy purposes an so the hq models are not lost forever ? AFAIK it isn't. Thanks.

Albeit I see the frustration of some people with the similarity of the models, these changes will be better long term.

Jip and co get feedback and improve on the models, then we get better animations / looking structures and so on.

Again, I understand the frustration but every development proceess takes times and testing in production to get real data. Only so much you can do with a few people working on something new

FAF Website Developer

This post is deleted!

@femboy said in Factory models:

Albeit I see the frustration of some people with the similarity of the models, these changes will be better long term.

Jip and co get feedback and improve on the models, then we get better animations / looking structures and so on.

Again, I understand the frustration but every development proceess takes times and testing in production to get real data. Only so much you can do with a few people working on something new

How are things going to get better? Basically no one cared for a few stretched textures. Now most everyone commenting is unhappy with mutilating existing and by now familiar structures which perfectly serve the purpose of allowing to distinguish between factories.
Your comment reads like "trust the plan" - which brought us this "mess" in the first place.
I try to be cool with the new facs - yet the new Cybran factories alone (stripped off outer elements) is a visual clusterf*ck in my book.
I hate what and how things have been handled here. Including the stark push-back on here at first to then - without taking back this criticism - acknowledge that communication was not exactly stellar.

I usually welcome changes on FAF, but this is something where I see no reasonable calculation in terms of pros and cons as a basis but the sheer will and determination to change a thing no matter the costs.
It's alien races, for god's sake - who cares about "stretched textures" as if there is any real logic behind it? The "immersion" tagline was newly introduced while I could not find any reference to that in older statements.
Animations? They occur ONCE in the game for the facs, visible only when zoomed in. I look at the outline of the facs ALL GAME. What a horrific trade-off.

"Trust the plan"
"Which plan?"
"Exactly!"

(Still wishing the team success with their ideas and overall grateful for their work!)

There's only topics for factories, but this doesn't warrant its own thread I guess so I'll just post here:
c18842f2-3bf5-4345-9d16-3b8291ce7ed9-image.png
This LOD level for aeon pgens looks very strange.

A lot of LOD1s look absurd, the closer you look you'll find that they are all over the place

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Apologies if this has already been considered @Jip but can the original texture be replaced with a higher resolution one that makes room in UV space for new HQ geometry? For example, take a 512 texture and place it top left in a 1024 canvas, divide base model UV coordinates by 2, allocate new UVs in the 0.5 - 1 range that is now available for use in the 1024 canvas. Of course that still leaves the problem of actually authoring these additional textures and my instinct is that it would involve reusing repeated patterns from the original. The problem of albedo being mixed in with the baked GI could be solved in principle with a high/low pass filter as a starting point, making a plausible albedo texture without GI contribution available for copy-paste over the new geometry, and blender can be used to provide the GI for these new elements.

Basically I'm asking if this sort of solution is acceptable from your developer perspective, fully aware that it creates work on the art side but ready to contribute. I know it doesn't address animations but could be part of the answer if you decide to iterate on HQs further.