Can we please stop the smurfing in tmm

We're at the same time giving a different "skill" metric. There is basically no change in what information you get. People will just have to get accustomed to the new brackets

Is there scope for making it more informative/helping clarify what a rating means? For example, you mouse-over the rating icon by a player on the score-card (assuming that's how it gets implemented) and a tooltip pops up saying 'In the top x% of players' (with the x% varying based on the bracket)?

It wouldn't even need to be specific to the bracket (e.g. just give the % for gold rather than gold 1, gold 2 gold 3 etc. if a % split by the placement within the wider bracket is thought too close to giving us something like the current rating score).

@blackyps said in Can we please stop the smurfing in tmm:

We're at the same time giving a different "skill" metric. There is basically no change in what information you get. People will just have to get accustomed to the new brackets

Is it just going to be the same problem though where people would rather play at the top of the bracket below where they should be vs. the bottom of the bracket they're in? Like, if I'm the worst of 100 people in my bracket, why wouldn't I just throw a few games so I could be the best of 100 people in the bracket below it?

He's saying Silver III becomes 50th percentile and Silver IV is 55th percentile or whatever when you hover over it.

@blackyps It is different. I already know all of the numbers

I don't know all of the stupid leagues and sub-leagues

I know what it means if there's two 1500s against a 2k + 1k

I don't know what it means if there's Diamond I + Copper III vs. two Copper IVs

We will need UI mods to give proper score boards that display rating

Or will FAF admins ban those too?

why would it be banned?

Remember: Losing is Fun!

@saphed said in Can we please stop the smurfing in tmm:

why would it be banned?

Because they want to take it away from us

It would eat them up inside to know that the community can just ignore their BS and see the numbers

tbh this league system is just a weird ui thing over the rating system. If your rating is lower than your league you get less league advancement and vice versa. It won't deviate much lol

I don't think it will hurt their insides that much. You do you

@arma473 the older I get the more I resent change, I understand. Have no idea what the leagues mean either, maybe we need some infographic to make it clear. I'll make one at some point. But the current system is just so absolutely terrible for new players. I'm confident that this change will increase player retention more than it makes vets quit the game, especially in the long run. And after mumbling about it for a week or two, us old men will grudgingly learn it and then forget about it.

You "dunno what it means" because you never use it. The reason you "know what it means" with rating is because you use it. Someone unfamiliar with rating knows 0 except more = better. Someone unfamiliar with leagues knows 0 except shinier badge = better.

Just played a game earlier today where every player on the other team where 300 points below their global score and the guys that i play with some are accuratly 900-1000 skill playing against 1200s who are actually 1500-1600 skill level, needless to say we lost that game.

It doesnt matter how you choose to represent skill level wether its numbers or pictures, if its not acurate its worthless.

@Caliber That's... How it works though? They win games until they hit the rank they deserve, since TMM isn't established that long, it takes some time until all players (the more inactive ones as well) get their rank?

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@Sladow-Noob yes however i am trying to explain from by point of view, that it may be better to use global score as the starting point for tmm rather than how it works at the minute.

That way theres not so much imbalance.

@Sladow-Noob if you are trying to increase new player retention imagine being new and losing all your games because of the "some time" it takes until all players get their rank. I agree using global score as the starting point, or maybe weighting it a lot at first and then less (even no weight) as TMM rank becomes more confident, would be a good way to reduce frustration (of both old and new folks) by (hopefully inadvertent) smurfing of folks who begin underranked in TMM.

Literally defeats half the point of tmm as a way to break the custom game cycle

Global rating is factored into your initial rating, but everyone gets a hard interpolation for their first 10 games. There aren't 6 billion 1600 rated players so any argument on the magnitudes of player retention makes zero sense. There's like 110ish unique 1300+ rated players each month on the ladder. There are 1400ish unique <300 rated players each month on the ladder.

Nowadays, I wouldn't expect a value of more than 10% of the unique 1300+ rated players being new to the system so you got a quantity of like 11 dudes a month that are now ruining the system forever.

latest highly unbalanced game not to mention most players on oposite teams are well under their global score, i did what i could but it was a lost game before it even began.

i think this has deviated too much, there were quite some explanation given above how and why this is not smurfing since TMM rating uses your global as a starting point, i'm gonna give a brief explanation of what smurfing is and close the thread.

Smurfs-alt accounts of a player that for some reason decides to not play on his main one, which is bannable btw, if you think the guy is wayyyyyyyyyy too experienced for the game you're in and you check the global stats (aka 1.5k rating in 10 games), use the report form and we will take it from there.

P.S can pm me on discord or forum if you think this is unreasonable to be locked.

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko