[Discontinued] Ethereal FAF Client 1.0

Option to output one of a few "numbers" to the desktop icon like so:
4fb0828e-d634-406d-ae7b-8b7243010cf3-image.png

You could choose to show here:

• TMM currently in queue (highest / 1v1 / 2v2 / 4v4)
  • Number of custom games (matching current search filter if available)
  • Number of friends online

Possibly also an option for a windows notification tied to this number:

• Ping when highlighted number > 8

Some small changes in visual for today. Mostly working on code optimization =/
Gray boxes that you see is manual implementation what i need because old controls were not successful (requires clicks and loses focus interaction with windows)

@eternal Yeah I thought about color coding but then there would need to be a legend in every lobby so everyone knew what color meant what cuz I don't trust myself to remember lol.

Let there be light

@eternal said in What would you like to see in new client:

@katharsas What do you mean my more modern one? Did you meant UWP? No, i will focus on WPF, but i`m using library ModernWPF with windows SDK

Yeah (UWP is apparently already superseeded by something else). Interesting. For me it was difficult to understand how to make my own controls back when i used it. But did not spend a lot of time to really get into it^^ (I made two simple programs 1, 2 for university in a couple of days each)

Do you plan to make the source available?

@katharsas ofc. https://github.com/Eternal-ll/Ethereal-FAF-Client
But I'm not gonna cover this app with tests and other stuff (mostly it can't be covered, only some technical stuff maybe), because I will spend much more time than I spending on main code rn

@katharsas I can't pass this information into lobby, but I have idea to make some active window with current lobby andplayers in it

Actually, it's not a feature but anyway:
Recently I installed the old Python client and I was surprised how much better it is optimized.
That's a very noticeable difference!
Moreover, it doesn't take more than 1GB of RAM after 1 hour of running. It takes about 100mb-200mb maximum.
Also, for me java client feels more "laggy" and switching tabs or any other action feels clearly much more delayed. I guess this is ok for java?
I personally hope the optimization will be a key feature of your client.
Btw, what language you code in?

@spl it will use about 100mb.
Currently it uses 60mb

C#

Honestly I like the client now (a lot more than what we used to have), but there are a couple of slightly annoying things:

• switching away from the News tab then back again reloads the page, which is kind of slow here
  • on the replays button, "favorite searches" should allow one-click access to the first search (maybe even all of them); currently it's three clicks ("Favorites", click first item, click "Search")

@sheikah It doesn't give any results at all for me. For a while the "contains" option worked as an "is" for me, but now nothing anymore. Mb it is my weird connection setup again though. Better check for yourself if it works.

What are you searching for with contains?

@sheikah Playername, but it also doesn't work for me on the python client. So not sure if it even is an issue with the java one.

It might be an API issue but I will look into it

I'd like it if the UNITS tab in the client was stored locally because the lag is annoying as heck. Right now I'm assuming it's some kind of web app that downloads the data every time the window is opened?

@HarzerNoob The contains does work it is just a lot to search for among all the games so it can take a while to complete.

Chat chat chat

Good old textures just for testing purpose. Have not started working on them yet. Also there will be different textures for private games

UPD:

test.gif

any chance this client will support linux users?

@spikeynoob definitely not in the first releases. Currently my UI library depends on Windows, but even without that library on clear WPF technology i had some problems with building project for Linux. I have plans on porting library but it will cost me a lot of my time, i`m even slowed down on the main code due to lack of experience in such sphere of coding, so maybe some day. But, if i will be sponsored, i will focus on that right now in parallel 😁

UPD: Have made some research, i think there is possibility to run Windows build project with Wine

@eternal said in What would you like to see in new client:

@spikeynoob definitely not in the first releases. Currently my UI library depends on Windows, but even without that library on clear WPF technology i had some problems with building project for Linux. I have plans on porting library but it will cost me a lot of my time, i`m even slowed down on the main code due to lack of experience in such sphere of coding, so maybe some day. But, if i will be sponsored, i will focus on that right now in parallel 😁

UPD: Have made some research, i think there is possibility to run Windows build project with Wine

Yea i was planning on trying wine, but ive found sometimes apps dont work exactly as intended and overall its a pain. How much would u look for in a sponsorship?