[Discontinued] Ethereal FAF Client 1.0

some advanced chat functions would be nice
e.g. replying

@harzernoob How is the contains buggy? This is the first I have heard of it

@spl Sure. I have some thoughts with:

1. @nickname
  2. reply to msg
  3. quick messages to wake up/etc from context menu from others pages

According to some tips, I decided to redo the interface, reduced the corners radius, changed some internal work of client.

Some variants of interaction with available lobby in client:

test.gif

Left navigation window example:

Top navigation window example:

2b4c195e-9e76-4ab7-b156-506dd92595bd-image.png

When you join a modded game your next game you host has those mods on, don't like that

My suggestions are from the perspective of a man who has no idea how to do this stuff. I can build you a multibillion-dollar structure but I cannot build a simple script or whatever you nerds call that shit lol. I have a lot of respect and envy for what coders and programmers can do and more so for those here at FAF who keep this place going so if these suggestions are asking a lot or are impossible please forgive my ignorance.

1. In the player card show the players' rank over their last 100 games next to their standard lifetime rank and 1v1 & 2v2 ranks. The idea is that you can see that yeah this guy is a 700 with 400 games but over his last 100 games he has been playing like a 1000 or like a 100.

2. A banner above their ranks that displays a preset trash talk type message that is based on their last 10 games. As an example, if they are 0-10 it could say "YOU'RE SCREWED" If they are 10-0 "Man, I'm good at this!" Doesn't have to be the game taunts, it just came to me as I was writing and think its meme cool but if a guy is 7-3 it could Say “He’s heating up!” naaaaaaa it should be the taunts and say “Run while you can”

3. A letter designation system beside the player rank that shows what kind of player they are. Base it on their lifetime rank and last 100 games rank separately. For instance, a 1000 rank with 1000 games and 900 of them are Astro is an A-1000. G-1000 for any Gap maps such as you_shall_not_pass or Gap of Rohan. S for Setons, DG for DualGap, L for Ladder, MG for mapgen, and OW for players with most games played in the more open world type maps such as hilly plateau and pyramid. The thinking here is that if a level 1000 joins a 1000+ mapgen lobby then the host can better balance the game as well as just other players being able to know who their opponents are. So then a DG-1000 could easily be an MG- 1200 on their last 100 rank (or even an MG-600 for that matter to reflect the learning curve that comes when switching playstyles in which case a host may have him vs a 600 and not against an 1100) Some people will be proud to be an A-1800 and that's fine if that's how they enjoy this game but when they join a 1500+ lobby and everyone in there is a L, MG or OW then this A is maybe kicked or maybe there is a G in there that the host would put him against.

4. On the player card have an emblem depicting what role they play, kind of like a class rating for a soldier. If I have most of my kills with Air vehicles then I have an emblem with an ASF (or whatever air unit) Naval gets a Battleship and Land gets a Chicken (because they are the best T4 land unit) Could even have a different emblem for how high the ratio between their kill types is.
    For example, someone who has 50% kills with land 25% with air and 25% with naval has a Tank emblem but say after time they go to 70-xx-xx so they get a T3 Bot and at 80-xx-xx they now get a Chicken. Conversely, if that same player who was land maybe starting playing navy then their emblem would eventually downgrade and then upgrade to a navy class rating. Perhaps a player could have the ability to reset this feature too so that it would begin reassessing your style. So if you have high games played and never play navy anymore but are stuck with a navy emblem then you could reset and get your air emblem because you are an air guy now.

Let there be light

@lightbearer said in What would you like to see in new client:

My suggestions are from the perspective of a man who has no idea how to do this stuff. I can build you a multibillion-dollar structure but I cannot build a simple script or whatever you nerds call that shit lol. I have a lot of respect and envy for what coders and programmers can do and more so for those here at FAF who keep this place going so if these suggestions are asking a lot or are impossible please forgive my ignorance.

1. In the player card show the players' rank over their last 100 games next to their standard lifetime rank and 1v1 & 2v2 ranks. The idea is that you can see that yeah this guy is a 700 with 400 games but over his last 100 games he has been playing like a 1000 or like a 100.
  1. A banner above their ranks that displays a preset trash talk type message that is based on their last 10 games. As an example, if they are 0-10 it could say "YOU'RE SCREWED" If they are 10-0 "Man, I'm good at this!" Doesn't have to be the game taunts, it just came to me as I was writing and think its meme cool but if a guy is 7-3 it could Say “He’s heating up!” naaaaaaa it should be the taunts and say “Run while you can”
  1. A letter designation system beside the player rank that shows what kind of player they are. Base it on their lifetime rank and last 100 games rank separately. For instance, a 1000 rank with 1000 games and 900 of them are Astro is an A-1000. G-1000 for any Gap maps such as you_shall_not_pass or Gap of Rohan. S for Setons, DG for DualGap, L for Ladder, MG for mapgen, and OW for players with most games played in the more open world type maps such as hilly plateau and pyramid. The thinking here is that if a level 1000 joins a 1000+ mapgen lobby then the host can better balance the game as well as just other players being able to know who their opponents are. So then a DG-1000 could easily be an MG- 1200 on their last 100 rank (or even an MG-600 for that matter to reflect the learning curve that comes when switching playstyles in which case a host may have him vs a 600 and not against an 1100) Conversely in a Dual Gap game the host can balance slots according to thier rank and experience level in that setting too. Some people will be proud to be an A-1800 and that's fine if that's how they enjoy this game but when they join a 1500+ lobby and everyone in there is a L, MG or OW then this A is maybe kicked or maybe there is a G in there that the host would put him against.
  1. On the player card have an emblem depicting what role they play, kind of like a class rating for a soldier. If I have most of my kills with Air vehicles then I have an emblem with an ASF (or whatever air unit) Naval gets a Battleship and Land gets a Chicken (because they are the best T4 land unit) Could even have a different emblem for how high the ratio between their kill types is. For example, someone who has 50% kills with land 25% with air and 25% with naval has a Tank emblem but say after time they go to 70-xx-xx so they get a T3 Bot and at 80-xx-xx they now get a Chicken. Conversely, if that same player who was land maybe started playing navy then their emblem would eventually downgrade and then upgrade to a navy class rating. Perhaps a player could have the ability to reset this feature too so that it would begin reassessing your style. So if you have high games played and never play navy anymore but are stuck with a navy emblem then you could reset and get your air emblem because you are an air guy now.

Let there be light

@lightbearer nice nice

1. Impossible to calculate the rating for last X games.
  2. That's interesting, that's possible, can't really say about trash msg, but winrate for last 10/50/100 games is possible
  3. I have other system in mind. Color based on history of games. I had some confrontation about that in Russian discord, but I don't care xD. So the idea is color player in player card will be based on maps that he played and maybe winrate. So if he is playing mostly gap/astro/Seton/pass then he is red, of course I will count ladder, and affect to the color will be smaller. Smt like that
  4. Actually... It is possible, but it will require a lot of effect. Firstly, you need to analyze a lot of replays, secondly, you have to save this information somewhere. But that's only to get the average units he is making, and calculating the player spots can much difficult.

@eternal Re point 3, if either your or lightbearer's option is possible then I'd prefer lightbearers as it would distinguish better - e.g. an astro player joining a setons game with the colour coding system that treats them the same would at first glance be the same colour as a setons pro despite the astro player likely severely underperforming their rank.

Some time ago a suggestion came up about having the number of games a player has played on a specific map being shown (alongside their total games), which would be another option if possible. One issue with ideas around showing how good someone is at a particular map type is the variability of map names, so the benefit of 'just show number of games on this specific map name' is it avoids such issues and means that for the most common maps (i.e. the most popular variants of DG and Astro, and setons) you will get a good idea of how experienced the player is and be able to better balance.

@Eternal about the 4th point. The server already calculates the amount of land/naval/air vehicles built. It is used for the achievement system, where you can see which types of units you have built in which proportions.

Having issues with connectivity / ICE? Talk to me.

@geosearchef Oh, nice! Thanks for information, i will look into that

Patch storage.
Everytime after I watched an old replay I have to redownload the actual patch and it always takes about 5-10 minutes. That's sucks.

@spl The java client actually does already have that feature. You need to enable it though.

@eternal This would be an amazing feature (the color coding based on what they play). Have seen so many 1500-1900 that completely imbalance a game when they somehow play like a 1k. Would love to know before hand if they are a one trick pony (people that only get good at 1 thing) so I can know what to expect from them.

FAF Website Developer

i have often thought it would be good to have the map enlarged as standard in the lobby and the players names beside the acu start positions like this
alt text

So instead of a list of names you can see starting positions, it's easy to see team layouts & ratings, you can see opposing players ratings etc.

@scout_more_often @Jip would be interested in that

@scout_more_often This would be really cool too!

FAF Website Developer

@eternal said in What would you like to see in new client:

I was asked to clarify the purpose of the topic a little, so I reveal all the cards.
I will make a simplified client in C# and would like to know what you would like to see in it.

May i ask which GUI tech you plan to use? WPF or one of the more modern ones?

@katharsas What do you mean my more modern one? Did you meant UWP? No, i will focus on WPF, but i`m using library ModernWPF with windows SDK

Option to output one of a few "numbers" to the desktop icon like so:
4fb0828e-d634-406d-ae7b-8b7243010cf3-image.png

You could choose to show here:

• TMM currently in queue (highest / 1v1 / 2v2 / 4v4)
  • Number of custom games (matching current search filter if available)
  • Number of friends online

Possibly also an option for a windows notification tied to this number:

• Ping when highlighted number > 8