Aulex's Player Councilor Application

@sheeo said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

While I appreciate a joke; why not put this energy towards something productive?

No, it doesn’t sound to me like you do appreciate it.

While I appreciate a joke; why not put this energy towards something productive?

I love u Sheeo, but not a fan of this attitude.

Reminds me of when a colleague told me about how they had a bit of a pokemon go club at coffee breaks. The big boss of the org came by it and said he thought it was dumb and a waste of time. She was not very happy about that.

The truth is we all spend most of our time suboptimally. Some play games, others watch reality tv. Making people laugh is hardly the worst thing you could procrastinate with.

Besides while you could argue that contributing code is more valuable than humor from a pure utilitarian standpoint, you could also argue that nobody should be working on FAF in the first place. We got plenty of bigger problems in the real world we should be tackling instead.

But yet we work on FAF anyway, because for some reason that is what inspires us and motivates us. And yes, sometimes we are inspired to write satire, or long winded forum posts. And that's all right.

We should all use our energy finding replacement for ftx

@blodir said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

How much did you gather about my attitude from this question?

I meant it sincerely when I said I appreciate a joke.

But I have to be quite honest: I was originally delighted to see both you and Aulex applying for this and subsequently very disappointed to find out they're both some form of humour troll post.

I hoped for a moment we could have some great long-standing members of the community back in the council, willing to represent and work for FAF.

Instead the whole process is just ridiculed; and by big names in the community like yourselves.

Reminds me of when a colleague told me about how they had a bit of a pokemon go club at coffee breaks. The big boss of the org came by it and said he thought it was dumb and a waste of time. She was not very happy about that.

If I'd commented about you playing the game being a waste of time I would get this. But the subject matter here is electing people who are to represent FAF and its objectives.

The truth is we all spend most of our time suboptimally. Some play games, others watch reality tv. Making people laugh is hardly the worst thing you could procrastinate with.

Besides while you could argue that contributing code is more valuable than humor from a pure utilitarian standpoint, you could also argue that nobody should be working on FAF in the first place. We got plenty of bigger problems in the real world we should be tackling instead.

I'm arguing none of those points.

But yet we work on FAF anyway, because for some reason that is what inspires us and motivates us. And yes, sometimes we are inspired to write satire, or long winded forum posts. And that's all right.

Yep, that's awesome and I love you for it, of course it's all right. Please keep on doing that.

I would love it if you would also apply to be a part of the council and take a bit more formal leadership responsibility.

I hoped for a moment we could have some great long-standing members of the community back in the council, willing to represent and work for FAF.

Oh don't worry Sheeo, that's exactly what we all want

Maybe people shouldn't take things they read online so personally

@blodir said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

How much did you gather about my attitude from this question?

I meant it sincerely when I said I appreciate a joke.

Well perhaps there was a miscommunication, but the way I interpreted it, it sounded like you were criticizing us for writing satire.

Instead the whole process is just ridiculed; and by big names in the community like yourselves.

If I'd commented about you playing the game being a waste of time I would get this. But the subject matter here is electing people who are to represent FAF and its objectives.

Comments like this on the other hand make it sound like you disapprove of the contents of our posts rather than the time we wasted writing them.

I'm certain you know this, but just to be explicitly clear, criticism has a place in any functional democracy, and consequently so does satire. The moment you can't criticize candidates of a public election anymore is the moment the system becomes something that is no longer a democracy.

However I'm sorry for trolling you. I figured it would be evident that the post wasn't an actual application from the fact that I posted it outside of the official application thread. I did intentionally make it sound serious, because I thought that would make it funnier/more entertaining to read.

I didn't really consider that some people might not appreciate getting their hopes built up. My test subjects found it very funny (I also presented it to them as if I was actually applying).

For the record I am very appreciative of all the people who have told me they'd hoped it was serious. I have to admit though that I think there's some pretty strong arguments against my application, had I any wish of becoming PC.

For what's little it's worth, I added a comment in the election OP saying applications not in the thread are not counted as actual applications.

People probably won't read it, but it might clear up at least SOME confusion.

I lack the time and motivation now that I'm working.

While I appreciate all the drama and bickering among FAF contributors, why not put this energy towards something productive?

Too soon man, too soon...

@thomashiatt said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

While I appreciate all the drama and bickering among FAF contributors, why not put this energy towards something productive?

While I appreciate the sarcasm; why not put this energy towards something productive?

While i appreciate the appreciation, why not appreciate something productive?

Whilst I personally grasp the nature, worth, quality, or significance of the words with which you used within a specific and well-defined narrative structure to provoke laughter or mirth; for what cause, reason, or purpose are you not applying your limited energy, motivation, and time towards a different endeavour or enterprise which more effectively maximizes resultant purpose, significance, fulfillment, and satisfaction of life?

@thomashiatt said in Aulex's Player Councilor Application:

We need to keep the drama running until someone writes a soap opera out of it.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@brutus5000 I'm waiting for the anime.

@swkoll Time for the petric yudi collab.