The matchmaker is now playable on FAF using the client build linked here, but before you download it please read over these important notes:
- If you do not see the 2v2 queue, restart your client. This is a known bug.
- To prevent game setup from timing out, make sure to install all maps in the map pool prior to queuing. For now this needs to be done manually.
Now that you have read the important notes above, you can download the client installer from here:
After some 2 odd years of working on the team matchmaker I'm really happy to see it released to the community in a mostly playable capacity. Of course there is still a way to go until it becomes stable enough to be merged into the official client branch, but we are making progress.
The main feature that Team Matchmaking adds is a 2v2 queue which works similar to the current ladder queue. You can join this queue by yourself and be matched with a teammate automatically, or you can use the new party system to queue together with a teammate of your choosing. The 2v2 queue uses its own rating which is completely separate from global and ladder 1v1 ratings, however this third rating is currently only visible in the replay vault. Your 2v2 rating will be initialized based on your global rating (trueskill mean remains the same but deviation is increased) so it's likely that you will match with people who have similar global rating as you.
As I said in my previous post, for the time being the matchmaker will only be available by downloading the pre-release version of the client linked above. If you have any feedback or find any bugs, you can leave your reports in discord (#faf-testing), the forum, or GitHub.
There are a few known bugs that you may want to be aware of (please don't make bug reports for these).
- Sometimes queues randomly don't show up.
- Accepting an invite after the party owner has already started a queue will cause the party to become locked until that person leaves again (the owner can't kick them, and cannot leave the queue).
- There is no way to prevent people from sending you party invites (other than foeing them individually).
And shout out to our amazing testers who helped us find countless bugs already!
Happy FAFfing and happy holidays!