Buff Wagner back

Wagner's don't have much DPS if any I thought

Buff torpedo damage and lower torpedo rate of fire. Their torps are tactically useless

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@mazornoob said in Buff Wagner back:

Torp bombers cost less than Wagners, can target Wagners and they 2-shot them. Doesn't that work? Conversely, if I have Wagners driving around the map in enemy half, I'm not going to send my air force to all of them to protect them from torps.

To think about it, that's another Wagner weakpoint: only amphibious T2 tanks that can be targeted by torps like the rest of navy can.

Except you’re not catching each underwater tank underwater and now need to build both torps and surface air to ground meaning you spend even more mass investment to deal with the problem than if it were riptides.

@ftxcommando said in Buff Wagner back:

@mazornoob said in Buff Wagner back:

Torp bombers cost less than Wagners, can target Wagners and they 2-shot them. Doesn't that work? Conversely, if I have Wagners driving around the map in enemy half, I'm not going to send my air force to all of them to protect them from torps.

To think about it, that's another Wagner weakpoint: only amphibious T2 tanks that can be targeted by torps like the rest of navy can.

Except you’re not catching each underwater tank underwater and now need to build both torps and surface air to ground meaning you spend even more mass investment to deal with the problem than if it were riptides.

I was arguing specifically against the "Coopers chasing Wagners" argument. Torps are faster, cost less and kill Wagners more effectively than Coopers. There's a T2 air fac opportunity cost, but the player building Wagners already paid one with T2 land. Coopers can't kill Wagners on land either.

Either way, having to build air to ground and torps isn't such a huge deal given that Wagners have two thirds of Riptide health for around the same cost, so you need one third fewer gunships AND one third fewer torps than if they had Riptide health, and only need gunships for those that slip past. Plus on a navy map these torps can be repurposed against enemy navy, something T2 gunships aren't great at.

Me having to build t2 air spam to deal with wagners rather than just winning with kiting destros is a cost purely put on them as a UEF player. This cost is magnified because I need both the terrible uselessness of a stinger, the innate friendly fire of a janus, or a torp bomber that can put a wagner at 600 hp but now it just raids my loose t2 mexes anyway.

Your opportunity cost doesn’t hold when UEF already needs to sink more mass into t2 navy than every other faction to accomplish anywhere near the same utility.

I’ve had games on metir where any other faction would have been trivial to deal with in terms of hover but wagner spam made me lose more eco dealing with it via unit investment while still killing my stuff.

The thing with Wagners is that it's tough to catch them unless you have proper defences in place. You usually have some radar coverage (mostly from frigates) but you don't have a lot of sonar coverage until T3 sonar. Thus, you can spot hover units but can't reliably spot amphibious ones. This grants Wagners a unique advantage that is not visible in their raw stats alone. Unfortunately, this also makes them way more specialized compared to other hover units. They are primarily a raiding unit, that's what they are best at and because of that they are worse in other scenarios. Perhaps they are currently slightly too weak and need to be looked at since I don't really see them used too often. But it would be only a slight buff for sure.

They literally just got a buff that like doubled their torp dps, I've seen them do decent damage to frig gameplay now. Especially since it isn't like you can use your own subs to chew thru like 8k hp in the space concentration of 1 frig.

https://replay.faforever.com/20622191

^Waffelz showing the way of the Wagner to roll our team

Wasn't the Wagner's torpedo damage increased with the latest balance patch?

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Torpedo dmg increase or not, I don't see wagners working like submarines, currently. I find the comments about wagners necessitaing torpedo bombers to be really misleading, since if the wagners are doing much of any damage, they are vulnerable to the usual air-to-ground solutions that work against hover units. gunships, bombers etc. If wagners are using torpedoes to clean up submarines and the like, then I stand corrected - but I can't see how it'd happen, currently.)

@tagada I totally agree with the idea that wagners are simply too different from hover units - it seems that comparisons between wagners and hover units are basically not useful.
At the end of the day, the final metric, I think, just has to be whether wagers are:

1. dominating games,
  2. used-but-NOT-dominating,
  3. or underused.

My very personal experience is that they are underused, but it's not an important opinion - I'm not pro and have limited experience, so I defer to the opinions of other players. Ultimately, though, I think it's just important to adjust them based on whether they're overperforming or unused, rather than trying to draw parallels to hover units.