I can't hear some of the Audio or other Sound issue. What should I do?

You would need to place the file in c:\programdata\faforever\bin\ for this to work in FAF

@H-master macdeffy is right, that is the wrong bin folder 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Did it work for you?

If i find time this weekend, i think I'll dual boot XP and 10 on an older computer. Get a baseline and compare the differences if any, assuming i can find my old 7.1 setup.

@jip Nope 😞

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

so I discovered at least something!! I ran FAF on an old XP computer just to see how it behaved. Even on XP with various sound cards, Realtek, Sound Blaster, etc. it was much the same. Clearly it didn't support multiple speakers back then either regardless of what i tried.

However in the dsound.ini that goes along with the dsound.dll file, there is an option called milesCompatibility = false. Setting this to true absolutely has an effect. With virtualization turned on and/or Spatial Audio, or 5.1 speakers, etc, the ambient noise that is so overpowering when zoomed out, goes away. Perhaps it's a little more pronounced zoomed in close. Maybe some of the sound effects are balanced a bit different.

But clearly having an effect nonetheless. There are multiple settings that may tweak the sound even further in dsound.ini that i'll investigate, or if you have an app that gives you custom EQ for games, that can be tuned further.

Didn't have any crashes or other strange things in the last week I've used it. Perhaps this can be of use to others. Maybe some audiophile will give it a test and will notice differences that my poor ears cannot.

Where are the files dsound.dll and dsound.ini?

https://www.indirectsound.com/downloads/IndirectSound_0_20.zip

requires x86 visual c++ 2010 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

messed around with other settings. didn't seem to have any effect. Ambient energy sounds prob a bit too pronounced when zoomed in.

I still can't get the voices of the people talking to work, can someone help?

In Windows 11, disabling this setting, fixed my issues with a stereo setup:

f2356583-edc3-4ce5-aac4-27546f810a29-image.png

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

Everything worked perfectly before the latest unanticipated extended server down time, but now my audio has bugged out (i.e factory select sounds don't play, and some combat sounds don't play etc). Anyone know of a way to fix this, or why the downtime might have affected anything?

@cetea said in I can't hear some of the Audio or other Sound issue. What should I do?:

Everything worked perfectly before the latest unanticipated extended server down time, but now my audio has bugged out (i.e factory select sounds don't play, and some combat sounds don't play etc). Anyone know of a way to fix this, or why the downtime might have affected anything?

To add to this, (I am unable to edit the above post for some reason), I have tried resetting the game.prefs file here, as explained. I've also checked my audio settings and I am sure it is on stereo and on the right frequency (before I reset the game.pref file). Anything else I could do? Perhaps reinstall fa from steam?

@cetea said in I can't hear some of the Audio or other Sound issue. What should I do?:

To add to this, (I am unable to edit the above post for some reason), I have tried resetting the game.prefs file here, as explained. I've also checked my audio settings and I am sure it is on stereo and on the right frequency (before I reset the game.pref file). Anything else I could do? Perhaps reinstall fa from steam?

EDIT: I fixed it by searching online on the steam forums for people with the same issue. Apparently for no reason at all, the only way to fix this is restarting Windows (turning it off and then back on does not work, only restarting works). To be specific, my issue was that certain audio sounds would only play once per game (i.e selecting commander sound, factory select sound, commander shooting sounds, music tracks etc, and then on subsequent instances, these sounds would no longer play).

Hello,

is there a way to turn on the dialogue sound for the vanilla coop missions via mods, script command or other? 🙂

@fruxano
Unfortunately I have the same problem, but haven't found a solution yet.