Connection issues never been this bad

@spikeynoob said in Connection issues never been this bad:

@hoschmosch said in Connection issues never been this bad:

That's your personal opinion, and that's okay. What does one need as a mod? A lot of time, a great deal of knowledge about the game, and a respectful, neutral, and objective approach. Do I have all of that?

Given your response to the ddos attack, it is evident that you are neither knowledgeable nor respectful. Hope this helps!

Yes, it helps, but not in the way you might imagine

In the first place, it is evidence that I don't care as little as those who could solve it. In the second place, you seem to have trouble understanding the meaning of your words. I was respectful by not addressing anyone personally. I haven't downvoted your posts either. I also haven't attempted a second-class joke at your expense, like your... let's say, feeble attempt just now.

And that I have no detailed knowledge of IT matters, I have mentioned myself a long time ago.

That's your personal opinion, and that's okay. What does one need as a mod? A lot of time, a great deal of knowledge about the game, and a respectful, neutral, and objective approach. Do I have all of that?

Given your response to the ddos attack, it is evident that you are neither knowledgeable nor respectful. Hope this helps!

In the first place, it is evidence that I don't care as little as those who could solve it. In the second place, you seem to have trouble understanding the meaning of your words. I was respectful by not addressing anyone personally. I haven't downvoted your posts either. I also haven't attempted a second-class joke at your expense, like your... let's say, feeble attempt just now.

And that I have no detailed knowledge of IT matters, I have mentioned myself a long time ago.

"I haven't done any of the horrible you've done to me! All I have done is accuse people who have spent many, many hours improving this project of not caring because I'm mad I can't play as many gap games a day!"

Then do me a favor and just take a look at any random forum thread discussing criticism of FAF . Afterward, reconsider your statement.

I literally read all forum posts every day, so I don't need to reconsider, thanks.
If someone states things aren't working and are understanding and don't flame the mods/admins for not doing anything about it, then they have been met with respect, though it is sometimes hard to keep that up, when people are unable to read the message right above their own question in discord, which would have answered their question. But it is also disrespectful to not want to put in any amount of effort and then expect to get 5 pages of answers.

the admins claim to know what to do, but their precious time prevents them from investing that time in their own project and the community

They know what to do and they are investing time, you probably just underestimate of how much time it takes to fix these issues. Also people that want to help out for just this issue aren't such a great help either, since learning how the system works will take a good amount of time (also from the existing admins), so quickly helping out is also not a feasible option. (when you start out as a sysadmin and you only intend to keep the job for ~6 month, nobody will bother with telling you anything and will just tell you to sort some cables)

an admin who invests more time in constantly giving us long-winded statements

However everyone is damanding long winded statements from the admins themselves. Everyone is asking what's going on, why it's not working and how long it takes and when a moderator without the technical know-how answers they are unsatisfied.

Considering that the quality has been in the gutter for about a year

How do you come to this view?
I see people play every day and aside from the ddos attacks it was pretty stable
ofc there are disconnection problems (as brutus mentioned above), but those take time to fix, since it requires completely rewriting the ice adapter.

In the first place, it is evidence that I don't care as little as those who could solve it.

You do realize that brutus (the guy with the skills) is not participating in this discussion?
He cares and is working on it, while you are trying to make his work look bad and useless in some random effort to get him to give up on the project, since apparently you don't give a single fuck about FAF and want it to close down for good. (at least it seems that way from how you tell every admin to quit, since they are doing a terrible job).
How you can believe that you care more than him is beyond me.

@redx said in Connection issues never been this bad:

"I haven't done any of the horrible you've done to me! All I have done is accuse people who have spent many, many hours improving this project of not caring because I'm mad I can't play as many gap games a day!"

Attacking someone in a game forum because they are actually one of the few who are still playing the game... smart boy

Attacking someone in a game forum because they are actually one of the few who are still playing the game... smart boy

You're right, I'm sorry. I underestimated how important you are. It's far more noble to attack one of the few people keeping this thing alive so you have a game to play at all. Keeping FAF running is easy, playing Gap all day is the true challenge.

You're right, I'm sorry. I underestimated how important you are. It's far more noble to attack one of the few people keeping this thing alive so you have a game to play at all. Keeping FAF running is easy, playing Gap all day is the true challenge.

i am as important as you

if only you knew the context and frame in which u actually said that, you would quickly delete the post. All of this is based on the idea of making an old game available online again, nothing else. This is not an admin competition, not a programming competition, or anything like that. It's really just about being able to play the game. and mostly its not anymore.

My man speedrunning terraria's negative forum rep record

This dude has no clue how hard DDoS protection on a platform like FAF is, and is an actual clown trying to say that the server devs don’t have the skills or aren’t putting in the time.

Even if they didn’t have the skills to start with, which to be clear I don’t think is the case, so what? They’re still trying and have clearly made progress, what the hell else could you expect from volunteers? Brutus (and team) has provided updates with clear steps taken, steps that aren’t trivial for that matter, and has clearly been consistently working on this issue while having a full time job and a family.

If you want more maybe actually learn something about the subject at hand, you’ll quickly realize that it’s not trivial. Otherwise stop proudly demonstrating how absolutely clueless you are, thanks.

I don't think there's much else worth discussing here, and the thread has dissolved into insulting each other back and forth.

Developers are aware of connection issues and were already working on it before DDOS protection urgently required their time.

@hoschmosch said in [Connection issues never been this bad]

I won't casually learn all aspects of IT just to solve a specific and highly granular issue.

Oh. But you expect it from us? Nobody here is an expert in network stuff. We all do learning by doing. But it takes a lot of time. And time is very limited if you work full time and have a life outside of FAF.

as you mentioned, the admins claim to know what to do, but their precious time prevents them from investing that time in their own project and the community.

First of all where do we claim that we know how to solve this particular problem? There are different issues and nowhere am I denying the connection problem. I even blogged about what we try to do and what is blocking me so far.

But then step aside and say that you don't have time for us. an admin who invests more time in constantly giving us long-winded statements instead of addressing the problem? And again, this is about a core issue, not the design."

If someone wants to take all of this over and solve this problem, I'll hand over the keys tomorrow. Where is the magical dude?

By the way prepare to also start maintaining 7 linux servers, a docker stack with 26 applications, with each of them needing regular maintenance and software updates. But we can also make a partial handover.

Considering that the quality has been in the gutter for about a year, and playing is hardly possible, you can be sure that everyone now knows that you either don't care anymore or you're trying to divert attention from your lack of knowledge and helplessness. The Russian has exposed you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I receive different feedback from people, that it's at least partially playable. Still we try to solve the issue. But unless an expert comes and fixes it, there's nothing else we can do. We cannot hire a company to fix it, that's a multiple weeks or month job with expenses going in to the 10.000$s of dollars.

So we have acknowledged the problem. We/I are trying to fix it. We/I are not qualified experts on this. Nor is anybody else who contacted me on this so far.

You can continue insulting us all day long, it won't speed up anything.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice