Ideas for Disconnect Mitigation

From personal experience, there has been an uptick in disconnects these past few months. We lack the data to verify that this is the case or the developers to solve it (see here for more information).

That said, there might be some ways to make disconnects less annoying when they do happen. Here are some I've had:

• Unrate games where 0.5(real time) > game time AND game time < 10 minutes
  • Autokick of problematic player connections
  • Draw vote unrates the game

Not particularly committed to any of these but just brainstorming some here.

I've also thought of introducing the ability to (almost) immediately vote-kick observers or dead players as they time out. To reduce the waiting time when it doesn't impact the game itself

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Ideas for Disconnect Mitigation:

I've also thought of introducing the ability to (almost) immediately vote-kick observers or dead players as they time out. To reduce the waiting time when it doesn't impact the game itself

Yes please, maybe even as a lobby option.

I'll see if I can add it to the next patch for the 26th of August

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Ideas for Disconnect Mitigation:

My concern with this is that people in team games often rely on a dead player's help

I would suggest:

• members of the dead player's TEAM can kick their own dead teammate after just a brief delay, like 10 seconds of non-connection

• players that are not on the dead player's team need to wait longer, unless at least 1 other player has already voted to kick