Developers patch 3745 - 3748

@genos said in Upcoming developers patch:

@archsimkat I think It would require engine changes, I can only tell that for engies shift+alt is possible through UI

@Blodir

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Oh wow so much good stuff in there 😄

The Control group changes make it finally hassle free to have control groups for factories, this is soo much better than the current/old behavior!

That recall option is a load of cr@p, especially because we still don't have a similar option to eject laggers.

I have won plenty of games where the rest of the team thought it impossible.

We can work on an option to eject laggers, but what do you define as someone 'lagging'? Internet lag, or a slow computer?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip

For people who have a slow simspeed it should be relative to the other people in the game

Example - If one person is -2 less than the others over a period of more than 60 seconds

So sentons game is -3 but would be -1 without that person

This would be a useful mechanic as people with old laptop CPUS often do well slightly badly on the cpu test but after half an hour in game its just a waste of time. If they dont leave the game is lost through others leaving

internet lag/stutter is normally something that gets caught early on in my experience and is much less of an issue - the game is rehosted and problem goes away with a different player.

@nooby Part 1/2 for the new CPU Benchmark is already in progress. in the last game update in your prefs file it has been gathering data on how well the cpu performance and once enough data is gathered this will replace the current cpu benchmark to give a more realised cpu score. the more you play the more the result will be realistic and the cpu benchmark button will be removed as it is done automatically.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@jip said in Upcoming developers patch:

We can work on an option to eject laggers, but what do you define as someone 'lagging'? Internet lag, or a slow computer?

Both, but the most common is the simlag. Laptops with insane Turboboost that produce a very nice bench score and then 20 minutes in the simspeed completely crashes and they are easily 4 simspeeds below me while I have 50 pts higher (=worse) cpu benchscore. Or software-streamers that enable the stream after the bench.

Even if you (team)kill them you are still dependent on them leaving the game. Once someone is below zero and also below others it should become possible to initiate a kickvote. For all I care it only requires 1 player in the same team. But make it a lobby setting so all these people who are emotionally attached to playing with lag can continue to do so... but not in my game.
Especially dead players that didn't leave the game and drag down the simspeed are a pain the ass. Those should be instantly auto-ejected for all I care.

Less common are the assholes that need 5 minutes at 800 ping to figure out that they need to kill the Steam downloads. Any other game would have already ejected them.

@rowey said in Upcoming developers patch:

@nooby Part 1/2 for the new CPU Benchmark is already in progress. in the last game update in your prefs file it has been gathering data on how well the cpu performance and once enough data is gathered this will replace the current cpu benchmark to give a more realised cpu score. the more you play the more the result will be realistic and the cpu benchmark button will be removed as it is done automatically.

Nice. But how will it work exactly? I tend to keep some Youtube (example) on the side as long as MY simspeed is >0. So you might see it going down toward 0 very fast, but when the game drags on... I kill any background use and still remain >0.

It works as described here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/issues/4114

I've been keeping an eye on this. Will the mod integration be part of the patch notes when it is fully implemented?

Yes, it will be.

The draft of the changelog can be found in the third post:

It also contains a reference to the list of soon-to-be deprecated mods. Mod authors can update their mods to make it compatible again. I've notified the authors that I could find.

This is looking great! can see a ton of work has gone into this update and thanks in advance to those who have put in the effort.

Seeing EM being one of the deprecated mods, reminded me of one the small quality of life changes it included which could perhaps be considered for FAF itself.

That is, assisting a paused mex with engineers, will unpause that mex so that its built in build power doesn't go to waste. I know it is common for players to shift click paused mexes with a group of engineers, this would simply make the process more efficient.

@black_wriggler said in Upcoming developers patch:

This is looking great! can see a ton of work has gone into this update and thanks in advance to those who have put in the effort.

Seeing EM being one of the deprecated mods, reminded me of one the small quality of life changes it included which could perhaps be considered for FAF itself.

That is, assisting a paused mex with engineers, will unpause that mex so that its built in build power doesn't go to waste. I know it is common for players to shift click paused mexes with a group of engineers, this would simply make the process more efficient.

Yes - but a small quality of life improvement like that would also make for a perfect small UI mod. It is sad to deprecate economy manager simply because one feature of the dozens of features that it contains is causing command feedback to disappear with this latest patch. UI mods specifically are perfect candidates for one-mod-one-feature, and it would make them a lot more future proof too.

@jip I guess I was looking at it from the point of view of these UI mods giving some players advantages, hence making for example the mass fab management inherent to the game

If I am using this 'feature' then it means my t2 mex upgrades can finish faster than someone who isn't. we already have auto-ring with right click as an option, having auto-unpause seems like it would be in similar category

The patch is out, you can find the complete changelog here:

@Black_Wriggler We have integrated mass fabrication management; they automatically turn on / off depending on your current energy status. Besides that, what is and is not an advantage is a bit of a grey area. As you state yourself, UI mods can do so much that it can almost play the game for you at times.

The entire thing is a bit of a sensitive topic, as it is clear to me that Advanced Target Priorities provides a clear advantage over players who do not have it. But not everyone agrees on that for all sorts of reasons.

Great work with this patch!

I can see from github that the range rings at mouse location from additionalCameraStuff were merged ( #3692) but in the last game I played I didn't find the option to enable it, would appreciate some guidance.

edit: thanks for answering @Sheikah! For anyone else looking for said mod, the name is actually Build Range Preview, author is Sheikah

@deletethis said in Upcoming developers patch:

Great work with this patch!

I can see from github that the range rings at mouse location from additionalCameraStuff were merged ( #3692) but in the last game I played I didn't find the option to enable it, would appreciate some guidance.

That didn't make it in unfortunately but a mod Build Range Preview provides the functionality for the new patch

did anyone tested the last patch?
if u will spawn hyves for example in sandbox with cheating - u will lose control on UI. the only way is to select anything to build by com.
ahwassa does not attack the target - clickin on unit selects ahwassa's ground fire option

@t_r_u_putin said in Upcoming developers patch:

ahwassa does not attack the target - clickin on unit selects ahwassa's ground fire option

It doesn't go into ground fire, it still targets the unit when you click on a unit. It just shows you the splash damage too now.

if u will spawn hyves for example in sandbox with cheating - u will lose control on UI. the only way is to select anything to build by com.

Yeah, this is fixed with:

Will be part of the next hotfix, but is not critical. You can also reset it by trying to place down a ping.