40K Map Tourney Proposal

There are many good looking extra large maps out there, just rareley anyone over ~1200 rating playing them. The meta has yet to be established on most of these and I would like to see skilled people play them.

I propose a 2v2 or 4v4 full share tourney (4v4 team rating limited?) , as I dont think one has ever happened on maps this size before. I am sure sentons players would partake in a ratings limited 4v4 tourney

Gameplay on these maps tends can be intresting.

drops on islands are hard to spot due to size and hard to deal with instantly due to distance. This makes for intrresting play with who gets what island and how, and can end a player quickly if not spotted. Massed t1 scouts and early t1 radar everywhere are meta.

Gameplay early-mid to lategame revolves around air. The early lategame is where the navy gets involved making a difference with massed hoverflack, shields and battleships.

Nukes / NOVAX are frequent and always worth building.

large strat snipes are frequent and hard to stop due to size of area for them to come in and game ender class targets

omnis look rather small on these maps so there is so much more to the intel game, (and cybran air is significantly better than all others on large maps)

I feel that the paragon would need to be banned to make for intresting gameplay as on maps this large and with skilled players it would just be OP and the meta would revolve around rushing it, not good tourney viewing

would have to have a minimum cpu requirement

Shards

b10b8f8e-1582-448f-b140-42e84fdfbb0f-image.png

Salty Mult Bluff Adaptive

0a49bcd3-9fa3-4013-afb3-206febef0f77-image.png

SCMP_021

632ffbcc-68a5-463b-8c1f-3dd90f915666-image.png

vale of shards

305f5da5-c977-4e5f-9ef6-05a940afe060-image.png

Sentons Isle

b2d94548-d599-419e-b068-9d8bff5ba113-image.png

Tithonium Chasma

b0b4bfdd-a2db-479d-a4ed-6ccfbe4ea003-image.png

Hanna Oasis

dc01f172-4a2b-41d5-9b55-bef1f213e0b6-image.png

Ban the mavor too. It's unlimited range makes it too good in my opinion.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

A 40 by 40 map would be interesting for me if the players aren't too far away from eachother. Otherwise I am afraid it becomes a boring sim city eco fest.

Would like to watch the pro players cast on these maps.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

I've played a game vs Turbo on a 40x40 and it was quite boring. The game is usually decided by who gets more map control early on with transports and bombers killing random engies but then the game takes like another 20 min to finish even though 1 player has like 90% of winning at that point.

In case you can't get enough players/interest for a tournament, you could make it a showmatch.

As I see it there is a lot of interest/anticipation in seeing a high-quality casted match on a 40x40 map, as many people hope it will be an epic clash between battleships and other big toys we rarely see.

But in my experience (as a 1600 global), it will be an eco sim-city snipefest. When any attack takes hours just to get to the enemy base, overinvesting into a mobile army is often just a bad idea. I would love to be shown that I'm wrong, but I have never seen an interesting or engaging match on a 40x40 map.

@tagada

A lotst game being boring to watch is definitley something to try and avoid, but I think to stop it being decided early and finished late, more players can gaurantee a more even split of map control

@H-master
This is very valid

Shards, Sentons isle, Hanna Oasis, Tithonium Chasma look more intresting for this reason.

Even just some showmatches on these maps would be nice. I will see If I can get some sentons players together on Sentons isle

A lotst game being boring to watch is definitley something to try and avoid, but I think to stop it being decided early and finished late, more players can gaurantee a more even split of map control

From experience this usually has the opposite effect. More players means more ACUs to find (let alone kill) and on bigger maps that can drag the game on for a long time.

Game balance breaks at 40x40, regardless of players involved. You already see this with you talking about restricting game enders, which is just going to make the game take forever and go -6.

Probably the last reasonable map size is 30x30, after that it’s pure game ender rush optimization with all other players acting as shields to enable it.

Full share is a bad idea too, long long games

@ftxcommando said in 40K Map Tourney Proposal:

Game balance breaks at 40x40, regardless of players involved. You already see this with you talking about restricting game enders, which is just going to make the game take forever and go -6.

Probably the last reasonable map size is 30x30, after that it’s pure game ender rush optimization with all other players acting as shields to enable it.

Would this also apply when the map gradually expands like in the campaign?

"OPERATION AREA EXPANDED"

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

map gradually expanding has scripts determining what makes the map expand which will be abused with bos to leverage it, happens on primus alfa

But when it's time based everyone knows when to expect it.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

All I know is that everyone hates time-based maps and when I entertained putting them into ladder I got a universal no about it so I also doubt people will enjoy tournament games with them. And that was even with a notification that would inform people that a map would expand at whatever interval.

Yes, I get it. I would also prefer to see what the map is going to be in the final form right away.

It's really hard to think of an interesting way to create a 40 by 40 map.

Hanna Oasis looks decent though. Haven't played it in a long time.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

if anyone has played any larger maps of higher skill level please do post replays here

Perhaps an unexplored mapgen 40km would provide new gameplay than just the game-ender rush this size otherways favours

also a basic 1.5 x range mod for intel would make it more playable in general, would be nice if this could be the default for 40k, and say 2x for 80k

Intel range is something that could help. If you were to write a balance mod that just "unbroke" the game rather than changed the stats of a hundred units what would you change? Specifically targeting 40K maps here.

I am thinking:

Nerf infinite range T4 artillery > less range
Nerf yolna oss T4 nuke (nuke interval, cost?)
Remove paragon
Reduce cost / buildtime of anti nuke structure, leave missile untouched
Nerf novax (Cost, dps?)
Nerf torpedo bombers (health reduction?). Could also buff cruiser health. Countering the T4 torpedo bomber (alwhassa) also becomes an issue, but only very late game.
Remove cybran strat stealth. Omni range is too short to prevent these being repeatedley massed for snipes.
Buff radar intel range (1.5?)
Buff all scout unit vision, radar, omni ranges significantly (1.5?)
Buff naval speed globally? 20%?. Battleships should not take 12 mins to arrive to combat. This could have implications with naval micro, but at the larger scales seen on the larger maps may be less important?

Does anyone have any other changes? again, trying to change as little as possible.

Sounds like your trying to make the game last forever

The ideas would be to buff the speed of everything so the map functionally becomes 20x20.