Please show rating changes in replay vault

I used to enjoy watching upsets in ladder and seeing if someone had gained a large amount of rating since last checked. I have no idea where between 1700-1900 these two players place. The leagues tell me next to nothing.
b0c34b91-6728-4293-b1fc-7e4f83482763-image.png

I think I heard this change was made to reduce complaints regarding "odd" rating changes, but this just isn't it

It annoys me both in ladder and team matchmaking. I cannot see how much rating particular game or series of games gives me (unless manually calculating it, which is very boring). Hiding something awkwardly just because someone complains & doesn’t understand how rating works is nonsense.

The change was done intentionally:
3b410ed9-845d-4a4a-ade8-ad39ddde8b3b-image.png

Does anyone actually agree with moving away from visible rating to the league system? I remember like three people arguing for getting rid of global and quite a few, myself included, arguing against it.

It's the very outspoken "silent majority" that lobbied for those changes!

After 10 to 15 years of using the rating system i'd say it's way too late to change stuff like this tbh. Rating is way too ingrained into the faf culture and honestly it's kinda impossible to play without it.

I think global rating is flawed to the point of being almost useless. I am not convinced the league system will greatly improve matters.

Global games still dispaly rating changes. I can't think of a good reason to know the exact rating changes of matchmaker games.

Other than the subjective "it's fun" or "it's interesting", I know that people use it to report (and the moderation team to investigate) rating manipulation. Easy to look at someone's match history and see which games they lost 300 points in.

@blackyps said in Please show rating changes in replay vault:

Global games still dispaly rating changes. I can't think of a good reason to know the exact rating changes of matchmaker games.

It's more about knowing their exact rating rather than the exact rating change. And, it's fun and interesting

You can see the rating in the player's profile

...but not at the time of the replay. come on bro

I've never understood this push to hide the current rating system.

League system is going to be identically inaccurate compared to the current rating system, except now it's even more vague and just hides things that I think a lot of the community finds interesting. We are, generally speaking, nerds who like numbers and details, hence we're here playing a 17 year old RTS.

If you want to move away from the exact rating and towards the league system then it makes sense to do that gradually. Still, as someone who has enjoyed the exact rating system for 6 years, I will obviously dislike it. However that doesnt mean it couldn't be good for the game. The fact that most popular games hide exact rating and use a league system probably means its the right choice. Still, its completely valid to personally dislike changes in that direction. That said, I do wonder whether FAF has enough active players to warrant having leagues for 4 different matchmakers.

@stormlantern said in Please show rating changes in replay vault:

The fact that most popular games hide exact rating and use a league system probably means its the right choice. Still, its completely valid to personally dislike changes in that direction. That said, I do wonder whether FAF has enough active players to warrant having leagues for 4 different matchmakers.

Those games have more people between silver 4 and silver 3 than FAF has players. I agree with what you're saying, though I don't see how the league system has any benefit for FAF, but want to point out the truly massive gap in scale between FAF and any of these large and popular games that use a league system now.

Those games, starting with Riot and LoL years ago and then spreading to most other major competitive games, implemented an abstraction on the underlying rank to get people to play more. What would happen is if you hit 1600/platinum and then lost a game dropping to 1590 then you immediately also lost plat. Or would just be considered a 1500 or whatever. With the abstraction though you can now hit 1600 and plat, then lose several games, but still stay plat. Now people are less scared to keep playing at this point since they're not a single loss from losing their shinny new rank.

I have no confidence whatsoever this is impacting anything on FAF in any meaningful way, which means I also seriously doubt this is a real justification for the league system for FAF.

Maybe people like the idea of being plat more than 1600? I suppose that's possible, but it feels like a stretch to say that's going to actually have any noticeable change.

Going back to my first comment about scale, there's a glaring issue with purely having a league system. We don't have enough people to have leagues that are as meaningful as rating is currently, and rating is already questionable outside of 1v1s (even then). I don't see how this does anything other than exacerbate the issue. Even games like SC2, as far as I know, include the MMR along with the league rating for this exact issue.

We already have leagues, and we also already have ELO showing directly. I'd be all for having both showing as it currently is (was?), but getting rid of the ELO/MMR ranking in FAF or even just hiding it away more isn't the move.

Anyway, this became longer than intended but I've had strong opinions on this for a long time now.

Players: We need to make FAF more accessible for newer players.

Developers do something about it.

Players: :surprise_pikachu_face: :pitchforks:

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

If you want to move away from the exact rating and towards the league system then it makes sense to do that gradually.

Even if it is, it doesn’t help it. It doesn’t change anything how game works except hiding details for player who are checking particular replay for a concrete info about it. Why does hitting “download more replay info” provides me with every “team morons” record in the chat, but not with rating points? That’s just absurd.

To clarify: I mean showing the numbers at least after pressing the button “download more information”. It would be gradual enough.

The fact that most popular games hide exact rating and use a league system probably means its the right choice

I don’t see it’s as case at all. My guess is having “3rd platinum, 2nd gold” just more convenient for their user base instead of negotiating of what’s the difference between 3300 3600 MMR or something. Especially considering they are more casual and not as numbers-based as far.

And what about more numbers-nerdish games, btw? SC2 moved away from ranks for a few years already and uses ELO instead. Meaning there are no rank points at all. So other games experience can be argued both ways really.

I can see how FAF is a more "nerdy" game with numbers. And that could tilt preference more towards using exact number based ranking. I'm not defending the league system. Frankly Im not sure if it will be healthy for FAF in the long run. And I definitely dont prefer it either. Atleast not yet anyways. I'm just pointing out that people confuse their personal preference with what is good for the game. This because they want to find some more noble argument for their preference than "I don't like X and I want you to fix it for me".

@brutus5000 said in Please show rating changes in replay vault:

Players: We need to make FAF more accessible for newer players.

Developers do something about it.

Players: :surprise_pikachu_face: :pitchforks:

How does this contribute to accessibility?

And by "this" I mean removing seeing rating change, not the planned league replacement

Also, If my memory serves me right. Wasn't the plan to just remove the "in-game" ratings. Not the outside of games too?
Like the whole idea was that people get intimidated seeing enemy rating in-game. Not outside of it. So removing the information outside of the games seems like a pretty steep jump.

Cuz' let's be honest. If you are already looking up your replays then you couldn't give a shite about being intimidated by the rating.

So I guess in-game rating being hidden behind badge is okay, but removing this information from outside the game seems like a step backwards.