^ key crashes the game. (under linux?)

I'm pretty sure this isn't limited to linux but the ^ key will crash FA on a 100% of my systems (laptop and desktop) 100% of the time.

does not do this on the steam version but it does on FAF version.

can something be done about this?

thanks

game_22138094.log

EDIT: personal solution for now is switching the layout in ubuntu to "French alt. no dead keys"

this gets rid of the circumflex (^) capture which normally requires you to hit it twice to output that key. you can no longer make letters with the circumflex but I don't require that anyways.

543f7fcf-0bc3-4a64-98f6-a087c7f9c48d-image.png

this effectively gets rid of the crash. it seems whatever system normally captures the accent keys isn't being handled correctly by FAF. I actually noticed that the ^ gets a little cutout and display in the steam version of FA in the bottom left corner of the screen. I don't know what system is doing that but it seems to work correctly over there.

Took you just 4 and half months to find FAF forum and post the logs. Pretty good for an ex faf dev lmao.
Anyway, it's not something that really happens to other people as we tried reproducing it last time and had 0% reproduction rate.

I remember someone speculating it might be something with national keyboard layouts or config related.
Hopefully someone else can help you out now that you managed to post the logs.

image_2024-03-25_223453129.png

There's this in your logs that's highly unusual:

warning: UI layer has not been initialized.
warning: stack traceback:
warning:         [C]: in function `GetFrame'
warning:         ...aforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\maui\effecthelpers.lua(34): in main chunk
warning:         [C]: in function `doscript'
warning:         [C]: ?
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(61): in function <...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua:41>
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): in function `import'
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(137): in function `import'
warning:         ...e\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\chat.lua(4): in main chunk
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(61): in function <...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua:41>
warning:         ...
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): in function `import'
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(137): in function `import'
warning:         ...\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\keymap\hotbuild.lua(8): in main chunk
warning:         [string "import("/lua/keymap/hotbuild.lua").buildAct..."](1): in main chunk
warning: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/maui/effecthelpers.lua'
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(77): in function <...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua:41>
warning:         ...e\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\chat.lua(4): in main chunk
warning:         ....faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\gamemain.lua(35): in main chunk
warning:         ...\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\keymap\hotbuild.lua(8): in main chunk
warning:         [string "import("/lua/keymap/hotbuild.lua").buildAct..."](1): in main chunk
warning: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/ui/game/chat.lua'
warning:         ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(77): in function <...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua:41>
warning:         ....faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\gamemain.lua(35): in main chunk
warning:         ...orever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\construction.lua(20): in main chunk
warning: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/ui/game/gamemain.lua'
warning:         ...orever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\construction.lua(20): in main chunk
warning:         ...forever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\commandmode.lua(12): in main chunk
warning: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/ui/game/construction.lua'
warning:         ...forever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\commandmode.lua(12): in main chunk
warning: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/ui/game/commandmode.lua'
warning: Error running lua command: ...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): Error importing '/lua/keymap/hotbuild.lua'
         stack traceback:
         	[C]: ?
         	...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(77): in function <...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua:41>
         	...\t\.faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\system\import.lua(161): in function `import'
         	[string "import("/lua/keymap/hotbuild.lua").buildAct..."](1): in main chunk

The unusual part is that this errors out before the game has even launched. It also marks various Lua modules as corrupt. It appears the origin is from a hotkey. Do you have other game logs where the game crashes for you?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip

here's a plan of action if you'll validate it :

1.) I delete all logs, this way i know what was generated after what events
2.) I set my keyboard layout back to the default french layout
3.) I play a game and hit ^
4.) if no logs are generated i repeat until there's one and upload that one

All game should create a log; they're synced to disk as you play. Beyond that, plan sounds good 🙂 .

Also check and confirm that it really is ^ (e.g., shift + 6 on my keyboard) and not just 6. And check and confirm that there's not else attached to the key combination. For example, some graphics drivers listen to certain keys and trigger all sorts of behavior such as starting a recording or collecting statistics.

@jip
no no it's a different key :

IMG_20240325_193611.jpg

this one

Ok the plot thickens.

after launching it on steam once and also changing the keyboard layout to and back the same feature I saw on steam happens on FAF and the circumflex gets correctly captured.

So for now I can no longer reproduce the crash.

I checked with iczero, it's not due to the game.prefs file, there already was one.
I don't know what provoked this change in behavior. my guess is running the game once in steam generated some other added files more than just game.prefs

That's a great discovery 👍 , thank you for taking the time to find it

game_22182918.log

new update to the FAF linux script (new FAF client vestion) removed whatever steam files made the game not crash so the crash is back.

this time running FA from steam does not fix it.

and the log file didn't generate. for this second crash

@tatsu Look at this guide for the section titled Doing your own home work - using the log that provides instructions on how to add logging to your vanilla Steam SCFA install.

@mostlostnoob .exe

read the title of this thread. I'm on linux. I can only use the tools FAF provides. plus I have no issues whatsoever under steam.

@tatsu said in ^ key crashes the game. (under linux?):

this time running FA from steam does not fix it.

and the log file didn't generate. for this second crash

My apologies as I was replying to this post which indicated that you did have a crash when running from Steam but were unable to get a log for that Steam SCFA crash.

In any case, for future reference regarding logging Steam SCFA on linux, you should be able to go to Steam > Library > right-click SCFA > Properties > General > Launch Options > add /log "C:\supcomlog.txt" or whatever path & file name you want.

@mostlostnoob sorry, that's a missreading of what's written.

the operative "it" in the context of this thread was the FAF crash.

I said "running it from steam". which implies it did run.