What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?

Let me get this right, you want Nordic games to first make the game free, and then pay for its development?

@blodir said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

Let me get this right, you want Nordic games to first make the game free, and then pay for its development?

Yes, you got it right.
For example StarCraft II is available free to play.

@defiant said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

@ftxcommando said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

Do another user group study to see the onboarding issues now since the steamlink page was made more steamlined. If it's still a big problem, we're probably losing half the retention thanks to that. If nobody cares about that being a problem, then it's pointless to cite retention as a problem holding external promotion back.

YES

What about having an ACTUAL UX assessment of the onboarding process across say 20 people onboarding. Then iterate with improvements.

We already did that with one of our user doing that with professional background in that field around 3 years ago. But the insides improvements are still not implemented and probably never will be...

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@brutus5000 said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

But the insides improvements are still not implemented and probably never will be...

What were the suggested changes, and why have they not been implemented?

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

Lack of time is the main reason for everything

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Paying someone to finish the Mac version would greatly expand the number of possible players. The game is old enough to be playable on macbook pros from the last 5 years or so. As some of the most popular computers on the planet, it could allow more players to join.

@thegman121 said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

Paying someone to finish the Mac version would greatly expand the number of possible players. The game is old enough to be playable on macbook pros from the last 5 years or so. As some of the most popular computers on the planet, it could allow more players to join.

pretty much only answering cause i think you are exaggerating
• PC is surely more popular, mac is probably only popular in US
• new macs use ARM processors that cause desync (at least with players on X86 in multiplayer)
• You'd need a PR campaign to let mac users know that they can play FAF

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

@thegman121 said in What would be an efficient use of FAF's funds to improve FAF?:

You seem to be massively biassed or are trapped in the Apple bubble. "Greatly expand", with a market share of <10% on desktop segment? Eh nope.

Also Apple has killed gaming on its platform itself:

• They moved away from GPU standards such as OpenGL and Vulkan.
  • The forced all users to ditch 32bit. Even steam tried hard to support Mac, but 32bit games no longer work on M1/M2++ platform.
  • It's only a matter of time until you can only install stuff via their app store.

I assume Forged Alliance and FAF will never run on a Mac. (And I write this on a M2 Pro btw.)

– Benno Rice

go all in. buy bitcoins.

Expressing my doubt that we need to keep all these millions of replays on the servers.

Mac users don't play games on their Macs

So it's a waste of time to make games for them

Most game devs don't bother. It's so much extra work to increase sales by less than 1%