Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or fewer connection problems

hello guys, lately i have trouble with connection. before the ddos i never had connection issues or was never laggy but since the last week im struggling a bit about beeing laggy. Not everygame but 2 out of 10 games i'm the one that laggs or i loose the whole connection to other players so i or someone else have to leave. Im using an LAN-Cable with an provided speed over 15 mb in download and 10 mb in Upload.

@m20yaroslav said in Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or less connection problems:

Everything was fine, but at one point after updating FAF to version 11, it started to connect infinitely when connecting to games

Can you please provide us with an ice adapter log and/or client log. Thank you very much.
And maybe you can tell us how you connect to your internet and what your provider is.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Not sure why the title of the post is "perceive" as the issue is real, especially for me, where it was almost like the (nvidia driver issue stutter)from a few years ago...

My connections were MASSIVELY improved when I realized this:

bda54d44-c087-44f5-b7fc-59a85814fa92-image.png

was checked on. It even clearly states that it cause issue for some players, but there is no explanation as to why. So what happens is folks like myself do what we can: complain on the forums or reach out to devs.

Is there any chance we could get a quick write-up when there is such a large change on what to do? I still have to explain to people what the "ICE coturns" are, even though there is only one option now, because it is not really well perceived.

I would recommend that when the client is updated some kind of message like the one for game patches in a lobby is displayed.

That option defaulted to off for all players when it was introduced. So if it was on it just means that you had toggled it on some point in the past.

Both these and the coturn selection are intended more so as advanced troubleshooting options for advanced users, otherwise the defaults are what work.

@sheikah said in Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or less connection problems:

That option defaulted to off for all players when it was introduced. So if it was on it just means that you had toggled it on some point in the past.

Both these and the coturn selection are intended more so as advanced troubleshooting options for advanced users, otherwise the defaults are what work.

Right, but why have it at all? What is the point?

Internet service providers do weird things like shared ipv4 addresses between multiple customers and other fucked up stuff. So while IPv4 is in general more stable, there might be cases where ipv6 is the only option.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

In case you also wanted any feedback from non-wireless/vpn connections:

Using a wired non-VPN UK based internet connection that at the time of testing was running around 250 mbps, my first 1v1 game started fine, the next 3 all loaded the FA exe but resulted in a connection failure (despite at least one of them showing 2/2 connected - I didnt have the loading screen up for the other failures to see if they also reached 2/2). Of these 3 failures, 1 resulted in an error to me saying I was the cause.
This was done around the time of posting (i.e. when FAF is busier).

Previously (i.e. before the DDOS issues) connection issues in 1v1 games were rare for me (they'd be rare in 3v3s as well).

client.log ice-adapter.log advanced-ice-adapter.log

Edit: Just had another game attempt to start and stay stuck for a while at the 2/2 connected loading screen, so that makes 1 success out of 5 attempts.

@brutus5000 said in Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or less connection problems:

Internet service providers do weird things like shared ipv4 addresses between multiple customers and other fucked up stuff. So while IPv4 is in general more stable, there might be cases where ipv6 is the only option.

Ah, okay. I thought it was some FAF-unique thing. That helps.

@p4block I am playing over 4G (AT) which always worked pretty well. Most I had was a bad con to a couple of Australian players. However, since a couple of days I have trouble connecting to certain players which makes it kinda hard to play tmm and bigger lobbies. Refaf doesnt really help either.

@brutus5000 said in Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or less connection problems:

Technically speaking: IPv6 should be more stable, in theory that is of course.

Imagine that 2 peers whom both are behind CGNAT do get a server reflexive, or peer reflexive connection. Holes have been punched, connections are made, all is good. But then one of the CGNATs do some of these "fucked up stuff" like dropping the connection from their routing table, or whatever crazy thing (remember, thousands of folks share the same public IPv4 Address, and there are only 65535 ports to go around for them). Now the connection is lost. New holes need to be punched, the STUN server needs to get busy again for coordination, etc.

On the other hand, if both peers connect using IPv6, they get a direct end-to-end connection which needs only be routed, where the likeliness to mess it up is really slim. There are possibly only 2 router firewalls involved, which can make complications.

My experience with the enabled IPv6 support is actually very positive.
I made some logging modifications to the java ice adapter to see whenever I had an IPv6 connection realized with other peers.

I would actually suggest to make that option the default, and users would need to actively opt-out.
I think the world is now ready for IPv6.

@rigomate That setting actually was set as enabled by default when it was first introduced, but there were so many players that had connection issues because of it, that it was changed to not being enabled by default.

Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or less connection problems

Fewer*

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

works! AKS lol also get rid of turtle chases im done with having 12 t2 tanks and 20 lucky arty tanks slip by winning the game
make t2 faster and t3 faster then that..
real physics States the engines are too small on t1 not the tank is so light it can move faster hence T2 is faster in all instances of land air and sea!
Stop troll Nurfing to balance Aswell! or over nursing units into being t1 at the t2 scale.. and make t2 usefull again..

stop trying to make a hydrocarbon a Staple by messing with the resources to try and encurage a ONE PATH start system ware there is not 5 Build orders that work but a game standardized one to allow for no Flexibility starts (this is an example of troll nurfing) it was even flexible enough for slight mistakes with a nice 5000 on 1000 mass.. which if anything should be 1200 not Less now its like a misserable 650 which makes no sense.. (they based it on some lame standard like i can get 2 mexis with a hydro (wow) after a factory and Constantly producing any unit!

sir this is a Wendy's

Hello, I am playing over 4G/5G RAT and I am experiencing a worse behaviour in trying to connect to other players. When I try to join the lobby, it takes a long time before I can connect to the host, or to other players. I cannot report a pattern, I just try to refaf over and over and as a result I usually fix the connection to a player but a problem in connecting to others often raises

@p4block said in Looking for feedback on whether people perceive more or fewer connection problems:

We're looking for feedback specially from people playing over 4G/5G

I play via 4G and for a while I´ve been losing connection to one or two players in at least 30% of all games, especially during the day, when there was a high network load a dc was almost guaranteed.

Now it has become sigificantly better!
Within the last week I had one total dc to the entire FAF client, which made me drop ingame, but that´s it.
It does take a few refafs to establish connection to everyone in the lobby now though, but it´s not much of an issue.

Thank you very much for considering people who use unconventional methods for internet access xD

После обновления не возможно нормально играть. Подключиться без проблем к лобби из 10-16 игроков - настоящее чудо. А после, в процессе игры, без дисконектов не обходился ни один матч. Уж не знаю, связано ли это с происками "людей в сером" или разработчики ФАФ писали патч пьяными 🙂
Играю с территории России. Местоположение определяется или США или Швеция. Оптоволокно Ростелеком, никаких более "надстроек", вроде VPN, не использую.

Google translation, sorry, I don’t speak English 😞
After the update it is not possible to play normally. Connecting without problems to a lobby of 10-16 players is a real miracle. And after, during the game, not a single match was complete without disconnections. I don’t know if this is connected with the machinations of the “men in gray” or the FAF developers wrote the patch drunk 🙂
I play from Russian territory. The location is determined to be either the US or Sweden. Fiber optic from Rostelecom, I don’t use any other “add-ons” like VPN.

Queuing for 3v3 mathmaker in the last couple of hours I had 4 'match found' games, of which 1 proceeded to an actual game (for which there were no connection issues) and 3 failed with me noted as the cause - client log attached. Prior to this I've probably had as many 'failed due to me' messages in my entire time playing 3v3s
ice-adapter.log
client.log
(I removed entries in the client log from before the time I recalled starting to queue so it'd be small enough to upload)

Mate as a AUS player you have literally fixed the game, it was unplayable before for us!

Many thanks to you and all who helped contribute!!!!

More stable than during the worst of the DDos days, but still lots of games that never connect. So it's been better at points the last year. Also, quite often now I have to restart the client after a game ends as it thinks I'm still in game. This could potentially be because I am on a mac with bootcamp and have always had to terminate the game process for it not to freeze on normal exit (someone wrote that it's about newer macs and their SSDs). But it used to work before. And also, I am no longer Swedish, it switches between Danish and Norwegian.