Can we Pleaassee have 1 v1 random map only queue?

I was fighting for this exact thing in the past, here the results:
There were some mapgen-only weeks in 1v1 ladder in the past. The amount of games stayed equal or was even a bit lower than usual. So there is basically no evidence of mapgen only 1v1 queue being more liked. I've tried asking players, creating threads where they could rank 1v1 maps etc. but again, not enough players participated. So there's no reason to change it to MapGen-only

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

This would also split up an already tiny group of players into 2 groups, making games even harder to get

I generally support this idea. I'd definitely play more 1v1s with mapgen only. Right now, I've only played maybe 5 1v1s in the last year or two, so I am simply ignore of the current meta builds and optimal build orders.

Rather than splitting up the groups of players willing to play 1v1, I'd rather just have more mapgen maps added to the pools, especially at the lower ratings.
(When I was lower rating it bothered me that mapgen maps were so rare.)

I agree, increasing mapgen ratio in the pool sounds like an easy way out without needing to change much

There is no evidence that the majority wants more MapGens though

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

I think there is a logical fallacy here.

I'm suggesting AND logic not OR logic.

The faf client can queue multiple queues at the same time - no split just another queue "1v1 Random Map".

If there are not many players online just queue both. We just give the players more option.

This post is deleted!

@dgun The extra option splits the cue.
The 'and' vs 'or' can be read 2 ways;
Adding (and) an extra queue splits 1v1 players into those that want constructed maps, OR those that want mapgen maps.

So a new cue splits the (already small) playerbase, and forces 1v1 players to make a decision between mapgen OR pre-constructed.

My thought to add a few more mapgen maps to the current list tries to satisfy both (and), though as Sladow-Noob says there's no evidence that the majority wants it. (Personally I'd like to have seen a few more when I was in the lower levels, but certainly not more than 25%).
I assume a poll happened sometime (recently?) and apologise for not seeing it...

@sladow-noob said in Can we Pleaassee have 1 v1 random map only queue?:

There is no evidence that the majority wants more MapGens though

When searching I found this quote from april: ""Especially seeing MapGen being in the top or at least in the upper half in nearly each tier list". From the topic it seemed as though you meant that most people like mapgen, but I might be misunderstanding, and apologise if I am.

Thanks, but why does it split if you can just queue both?

@dgun said in Can we Pleaassee have 1 v1 random map only queue?:

Thanks, but why does it split if you can just queue both?

Because if 5 players want to 1v1, but 3 are queueing for generated and 2 are queueing for mapgen, then there are 2 queues (and no games!).
The 1 queue is split into 2.
5 players are split into 2 and 3.

Yes and that would be no problem when lots of people are queuing. But if there are just a few players online and the queues are low and the player wants a game the player will just queue in both. Generally people queue for 1v1s when there are not enough players online for 3s it seems currently.

Your assuming people will only queue in 1 of the queues, not both. I think people would just queue both if they don't mind either mode, especially when there are not many players online.

Generally people queue for 1v1s when there are not enough players online for 3s it seems currently.

Speak for yourself!

Your assuming people will only queue in 1 of the queues, not both. I think people would just queue both if they don't mind either mode, especially when there are not many players online.

I assumed you meant that because the other option didn't make sense - if you can describe how the suggestion of adding both queues and people always queueing for both is any different from just adding more mapgens to the 1v1 map pool, that would help me. (I'm sorry for needing it explained.)

(I don't think there are ever enough players to make queueing for choosing one or the other to be a good idea. Bear in mind that matches are selected to pair similarly-skilled players, and I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 players in queue.)

Speak for yourself!

I don't know where to access the stats but I think 3s since launch has been far and away the most popular queue.

I assumed you meant that because the other option didn't make sense - if you can describe how the suggestion of adding both queues and people always queueing for both is any different from just adding more mapgens to the 1v1 map pool, that would help me. (I'm sorry for needing it explained.)

Sure thanks I think the key point is when the servers are dead then people will just queue what ever they can to get a game if that is what they want (queue everything). And when the queues are pumping then expressing a preference (only queuing the game you want) will actually lead to more games played than currently. This is because there are players (me included) that are reluctant to play 1v1s that don't want to play pre-made maps. This has been my experience chatting in the 1v1s ive played recently.

Mangen is where the true skill is. Read the map and identify what to do when and where. To bad faf felt in to static map disease. Some games like AoE2 competitive play is only mapgen.

@karlhoffman 3v3 is pure map gen and very popular now.

@sladow-noob Time for a poll. Put it on the news tab, see if we can get some actual voting going on.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

Why is a poll more relevant than the actual results of trying it out and looking at the player numbers?

Yea I don’t see any harm in trying it out for a month or something and then having some real data to make a decision on rather than speculating how people might behave. Mapgen week isn’t really comparable because everyone was forced to play mapgen only and some folks didn’t like that.