Non-Cybran stealth

It's not about making factions same, it's about the game not having a lot of surprises once you have radar coverage of your enemy. Let me remind you that broadswords had stealth.

@melanol said in Non-Cybran stealth:

Discuss.

Don't tell me what to do

In what percent of games do the players maintain good radar coverage of the enemy and scout + pay attention enough to see what their opponent is doing at all times? I watch tournament games where people are "surprised" their opponent built a lot of factories and spam over the course of several minutes because they never looked. I think the game is hard enough without intentionally adding more surprises.

All factions already have stealth units

@maudlin27 said in Non-Cybran stealth:

All factions already have stealth units

Stealth Fields & T2 Torps Launchers don't really count.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Radar coverage is easily sniped, people don’t pay attention to all radar blips anyways, and having mobile stealth should be unique to Cybran imo. It’s like asking to give Cybran mobile shields

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

Having some UEF units with stealth+jamming would be cool tho.
Still worse than pure stealth but better than jamming. Like a unit with stealth and a single jamming blip would be interesting.

@melanol said in Non-Cybran stealth:

Let me remind you that broadswords had stealth.

Also when was this?
At least in the FAF repository it never had stealth and the old supcom wiki also doesn't know anything about broadsword stealth.

Back in the day, Wailers had jamming.

I do not believe that Broadswords ever had stealth.

@melanol You can get surprised by plenty of other stuff, including sudden drops or hidden nuke, or a t4 going underwater. Having radar is not enough, you also have to notice what you scouted and remember about it.

I basically agree with the OP. I think it makes sense for labs to have stealth innately. Maybe one higher tech unit per faction, too. Maybe the Titan, Loyalist, and the sniper bots.

@funkoff Not sniper bots, though. They are not raiding units

@comradestryker (Re: Stealth field buildings being no use) Indeed... They might if stealth fields didn't create a radar blip.
It feels so counter-productive to drop a few sneaky builders, construct a stealth generator - and know that the enemy now has a structure blip on their radar telling them exactly what you're up to!

I'm guessing it was impossible to have a building under construction give itself stealth?

@sylph_ It would make more sense for transports to have stealth fields for these kind of operations

@sylph_

Structures under construction do not give off radar blips.
It is only when they complete that they give off a radar signature.

Stealth fields do not give a radar blip at all unless the actual structure, (whether being constructed or finished), is visibly scouted.
Or if in range of an omni, but it will remain unknown until vision is applied to it.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@comradestryker But what if you E-stall for one millisecond?
won't it also then show the structure radar blip?

@comradestryker I must have been energy stalling when I tested it!

[edit - actually might have been the CPU-controlled player upgrading radars when income went above 90 mass/second... For how unimportant that distinction is!]

Thankyou for educating me. Now I know that stealth gens are not as utterly junk as I previously thought!

@nex said in Non-Cybran stealth:

@comradestryker But what if you E-stall for one millisecond?
won't it also then show the structure radar blip?

If the structure is not completed, and your power stalls, nothing happens out of the ordinary.
No blip other than the engineers building the structure.

If the structure is completed and your power stalls for a moment, the stealth field will fail and it along with anything it was hiding will become radar-visible for a brief duration until the stealth field reactivates on its own.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

@comradestryker said in Non-Cybran stealth:

visible for a brief duration until the stealth field reactivates on its own.

At which point 'dull' blips will remain, to signify a structure that was once seen, but can't be seen right now! [edit - I was wrong about this! Ignore this post, and thanks for correcting me!]
And that's why it's incredibly important not to stall power when using stealth generators to hide buildings!

@sylph_ said in Non-Cybran stealth:

At which point 'dull' blips will remain

no, they don't