Why would you have left FAF?

@endranii For real, a new account and basically only trolls this thread with these questions and has no games played. Seems legit.

@Broker I have no idea what you're trying to say but no FTX isn't alone in the game. Sometimes you'll lose to a strat rush though not often unless you're playing clown games, just like sometimes you'll lose to someone rushing gun on acu or rushing a monkey or whatever.

It's a team game. You win some, you lose some. If you're on average better than your opponent you'll on average win more. I think this is something someone said from another game, but imo it applies to FAF as well - 20% of games are lost from the start, 20% are won from the start, the other 60% is up to your level of play vs your opponents.

Strats have been nerfed so brutally I don't even use them anymore and find vastly more success forcing air snowballs via t3 gunships. Which also goes into why washer needs to be strong, sera has no t3 gunship for incremental t3 stage value and therefore operates in the extremes of complete destruction following a total air win or minimal damage if air is contested.

In fact I might go so far as the say strats became kinda bad unless you are facing someone two tiers below you in game skill. Only reason they are so prevalent in dual gap is because:

1. you so often get into a 80/20 map control split and you make 40 strats to suicide rush some game ender and they'll drop because there isnt enough map control for sams to shoot them down
  2. you can hit double or triple mexes due to aoe since the map has a horrible mex spread, therefore doubling or tripling the value strats would get anywhere else in the game.

if you don’t want to change anything, then why these questions like proposals, discussions of balance, why are players leaving us?

let everything remain as it is. as you personally want. it's your right.

How is balance being discussed the sign of a dead game? This thread was made during the highest peak of players FAF had. Players leave for a variety of reasons, the biggest for FAF currently being the legion of connection issues/crashes cropping up during the last few months alongside more viable TA-like competitors existing.

Beyond that, FAF still needs to redo the onboarding test to see if signing up is still a disasterclass experience for the average user or not. Last time it was done, we had like half the test group fail to manage to get passed steamlinking. Dudes thinking balance is some problem for the game are delusional, the problems FAF has always had with regards for players isn't retention related, it's funnel related. Much of the players that manage to get through the current funnels are already too invested to face retention crybaby moments about balance, especially since they're irrelevant until they're hundreds of games in to comprehend the meta.

@ftxcommando you are not interested in any proposals other than your own.
It’s not clear then why these discussions are needed at all. other players have already written to you about this.

I'm sure that if I go into the game in five years, nothing will change.
I think you'll like it.
but others get bored.

There are 7 billion people living on earth, and how many do you have? this is a rhetorical question.

I think the discussion can end. bye

Nothing will change about the game in the next 5 years. Man, when was the last time you played steam or vanilla?

@ftxcommando said in Why would you have left FAF?:

Nah, you can make a game completely random. Can't tryhard RPS.

It always absolutely astonishes me that the same players win RPS tournaments from one year to the next!
I used to only imagine that 'professional' RPS games rely on some underlying community preconceptions about rock being aggressive, paper being defensive, and scissors being 'tricksy'; but having read about it a little, it seems that body-language 'tells' are probably more important. 😉

(Sorry for the digression - I agree with your point completely - the only way a game developer can cater to less-skilled players, IMO, is by introducing random elements. Game developers either cater to the best players, or make their game a dice roll!)

@broker said in Why would you have left FAF?:

the transfer of balance from single player to multiplayer

I assume you mean the balance from 1v1s, to team games?

(I absolutely don't mean to tell anyone how they 'should' play the game, and what I say in this post is simply trying to impart a bit of wisdom that has let me, personally, enjoy competitive videogames a little more, with a lot less frustration.)

I've always preferred 1v1 gaming. I had a brief stint of playing league of legends for a while, and it's ok for a shout, but at the end of the day, while I am delighted to lose when I've been outplayed, I absolutely cannot STAND losing because of something I was unable to control - it sucks all enjoyment out of a game for me.

I actually see this same dislike voiced often by gamers that play team games. I recognise that there must be some 'pull' that makes it worth weathering all those awful losses to RNG... But to be honest the only reasons I can usually see are "I like playing with my friends", "I like the free RNG wins more than I hate the free RNG losses", and a supcome-specific "I like a greater chance of someone building an experimental/lategame stuff".

I totally understand the motivation behind all of those reasons - except perhaps that third one - only because I've seen players quite able to force most of their 1v1 matches into T4, making me feel that the game is rather well designed to allow viable options for all types. Regarding the first 2 reasons - I encourage players that are at all annoyed to just play good 1v1 videogames. Playing team games competitively, for me, seems like an exercise in frustration, and the incredible rage in teamgame communities solidifies my thinking in this direction.

All that being said, I honestly don't see how FaF developers could 'cater to' casual players at all. Team games will still be won by the more skilled players, and weak players playing teamgames will still be losing... Granted, they'll get the odd 'free win' here and there, but thankfully FaF's efforts to balance teams seems to reduce that as much as possible - and I don't see a lot of players complaining about the automatic team balance not being accurate enough.

Still, if I better understood what it was, specifically, that you wanted from the game / devs, I could perhaps answer you better. I thought I understood you, and was answering accordingly, but I'm sorry if I was wrong. x

@sylph_ no . single player it is company.

I really want FAF to become a commercial project... It's a pity that these are just dreams.....
Although there may be a chance that IP SupCom now belongs to Embracer Group. A Nordic Games is a subsidiary of Embracer Group and publisher of SC:FA.
You could ask them for money in exchange for some obligations. @Deribus as you wrote, you would find use for additional funds.
Perhaps there are good negotiators in the FAF structure... Past negotiations with Nordic Games were, in my opinion, extremely mediocre...

Bring downvotes back you cowards.

single player it is company.

I don't understand what you're saying here...

'it is company?' - does that mean single player has company from the enemy players in a 1v1?
or?
What do you mean by 'it is company'?

(I'm sure a language barrier is a problem here)

What's rps?

rock paper scissors

You clearly haven't seen the princess bride then

@nflanders said in Why would you have left FAF?:

I really want FAF to become a commercial project... It's a pity that these are just dreams.....
Although there may be a chance that IP SupCom now belongs to Embracer Group. A Nordic Games is a subsidiary of Embracer Group and publisher of SC:FA.
You could ask them for money in exchange for some obligations. @Deribus as you wrote, you would find use for additional funds.
Perhaps there are good negotiators in the FAF structure... Past negotiations with Nordic Games were, in my opinion, extremely mediocre...

This is the opposite of what all contributors I know want. We have made FAF a non-commercial project on purpose, to make sure it can be free forever and not steered by commercial interests. Thus we also decided a long time ago to not get any commercial funding from ads, campaigns or whatsoever. If you make it a commercial project you will probably loose 75% or more of the volunteers on the project.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

you are not interested in any proposals other than your own.

Nobody in this thread is interested in any kind of proposal.
This is the "why you left?" thread and not the "what would you do to make it better?" thread.

Players are very good at telling you why they don't like your game, but they are notoriously bad at making it better.
That's general game developer advice. "Listen to your players complaints, but not their advice"

There might be some good advice mixed in there sure, but in general it's not helpful and will either make the game only better for that one single player or even make it worse for everyone.

I'm sure that if I go into the game in five years, nothing will change.
I think you'll like it.
but others get bored.

that's just a type of player this game is not trying to attract.
Chess also didn't change for a few years already and people are still playing it.

I actually never like that example because the game rules of chess itself might not change, but the game still moves forward through externalities. A simple one is just the introduction of bullet chess or ultrabullet. You kinda can't play those sort of time controls over the board, and these days I'd wager there are WAY more blitz and bullet casual chess fans than classical time control enjoyers.

@ftxcommando I'd say those new gamemodes are compareable to FAF maps maybe?🤔
And also FAF rules change so it's an unfair comparison anyway.
But that makes FAF still an upgrade from chess so 🤷

Hard to say what it would compare to, my gut feeling was something closer to having prebuilt bases in ladder games or something to get rid of the early downtime.