Status report and new roadmap for the ICE adapter

Looking at this and all the problems I am surprised the old ICE lasted this long. Considering how outdated it all is probably also would raise a security concern.

In regards to: "But the idea started to mutate even further. Why would you want to see only your ICE adapter debug information? Maybe you want to see where a connection issue is happening right now between other players."

I assume you are referring to this from an Admin management sort of side where you (as an admin) could see connection issues and this is not something every player could easily look at. As depending on which side either user or admin will depend on what data is viewable.
Only mentioning this in regards to GDPR legislation as having all users able to see current IP's they're connected to mid game can cause a fairly large security risk.

Ras Boi's save lives.

@lord_asmodeus
The UI does not expose any ips or even any information not already available if you were to join the lobby of the game or open the client. It simply shows the connection status between players.

There are 2 independent layers:

• What the telemetry server collects
  • What the debug UI actually shows

The UI does not and probably will not show any ip addresses, even though as a participant of the game you are connected to all the players so you see their ip anyway šŸ˜‰
Even the telemetry server does not collect anything sensitive apart from user ids and user names so far, as it is a drop-in replacement for the current ICE adapter debug window.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Yeah, although you can find the IP's already if you look in the correct places, putting it all in one place would make things easier for someone to find if they wanted to.
As Sheikah said only show the status of the connection.

So my personal recommendation would be to keep the IP's not displayed.

The telemetry server I like the idea of as well.

My Kotlin skills are a little rusty but if I get free time from work I will check the GitHub and see what's going on.
As far the ICE adapter coding wise my Java is not terrible but I will leave that alone for now rather than interfere.

Ras Boi's save lives.

Progress Report

āœ” Release the Java17 ICE adapter to the world.

The Java 17 transition is done and already shipped with client pre-releases. So far we heard no complains, so it will come with the client update at the end of the month.

āœ” Finish the basic telemetry server and ice adapter logic and ship it for testing (keep the old debug ui for comparison)

The ICE telemetry server is actually running on production right now in a very basic version. It keeps no state and cleans up games after the last player left. So for now it only replaces the functionality of the debug UI window.

So here is how to trigger it (once released): Click on the tray icon and open the web ui.
c29d2f65-776a-4e53-946b-ed1e75a921df-image.png

And then you end up on the current ui:
accd1083-c58a-4313-98a6-84a612c8687b-image.png

Unfortunately not all features are supported yet (such as Coturn region or rtt), but some of these require more complex changes in combination with the clients.

We will release the first version with the client pre-release starting in November.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Awesome work on this Brutus! Takes a brave man to dive into legacy code.

Works like a charm

cf048a1c-c808-4264-bae1-9269b38b8ba9-image.png

Is this available?

faf.mabula.net maintainer.

7xlbo3.jpg

ā€“ Benno Rice

Again?

The previous non-java (I think c++ and nodejs) version were never fully working, so I wouldn't say that counts as a rewrite.

ā€“ Benno Rice