Make mexes and hydros ignore terrain

I'm sure at one point or another we've encountered the unfortunate circumstance of either a poorly made map or unfortunate terraforming making a mex spot unusable for the rest of the game.

Mexes and hydros are already limited in placement to very specific areas of the map, there's no need to check if the terrain would allow it to be built. I'm pretty sure this is possible since air experimentals ignore terrain when checking for construction. I've also seen a mod that does this, and I'll update this post if I figure out what mod it was and/or who wrote it.

EDIT: It was @Balthazar's mod: https://github.com/The-Balthazar/BrewLAN/tree/master/mods/BrewLAN_Gameplay/WonkyResources

I’m pretty sure units target the base of a mass extractor when attacking it so if their shots get blocked by terrain clipping you’d have a very resilient mex

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

Could we solve the problem of missed shots by making sure the mex/hydro is elevated high enough? The structure would not be allowed to have lower elevation than what would be allowed for the terrain its on.

We can also smoothen the terrain surrounding extractor points, instead of allowing all extractors to be build everywhere.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I'd rather we just move mexes'/hydros' hitbox targets up and allow them to be built on steeper slopes (within reason). Buildings doing terrain flattening causes undesirable results in some cases.

This post is deleted!

I'm fine with either solution - I agree with Deribus that the current situation is bad and should be changed.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Also, if possible there should be a SIM mod that undoes this behavior.

The point of that SIM mod is so that mapmakers could test their maps. It would obviously be better if mapmakers took the time to make the terrain correct. But for old maps and for mapmakers too lazy to do that with new ones, this fix would be very welcome.

Would be good if the ground around hydros and mexe were flat, sometimes you cannot build metal storage around mexes or airports next to hydros.

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!