Do i cause Desyncs? - how do i properly leave match after dying?

I know when you leave trough alt f4 there comes the disconnect screen. Is it the same like going to the options and click "exit to windows"?

Sadly most times i dont get the "score" button to click after i dieded, so i leave trough "exit to windows", now i wonder if the team always has to wait and watch the quiet screen when i do this.
And if it is like this, how do i leave properly?

"Exit to windows" is a proper way. But if you kill process through task manager it causes for everyone disconnection window.

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

aaaahhh thx, i was afraid im foed like 100 times bcs i play like a year like this =D but alt f4 isnt the same like exit to windows?

@poop_dynamics said in Do i cause Desyncs? - how do i properly leave match after dying?:

aaaahhh thx, i was afraid im foed like 100 times bcs i play like a year like this =D but alt f4 isnt the same like exit to windows?

Exit windows is processed inside the ESChandler.lua:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/deploy/fafdevelop/lua/ui/dialogs/eschandler.lua#L61

All quit functions, pressing the X at the top right corner and also [ALT]+[F4] are handled by this function.

This can be tested by disabling the Quick Exit option and pressing [ALT]+[F4].
You will see a quit dialog window before the game ends.

Also see the tooltip text from the Quick Exit option:
"Quick Exit-When close box or alt-f4 are pressed, no confirmation dialog is shown"
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/deploy/fafdevelop/loc/US/strings_db.lua#L1020

@uveso said in Do i cause Desyncs? - how do i properly leave match after dying?:

All quit functions, pressing the X at the top right corner and also [ALT]+[F4] are handled by this function.

But not including typing exit [enter] in the console?

@jcvjcvjcvjcv
typing "exit" inside the console window will exit the game directly.
This is not handled by the ESChandler.

Exit windows is processed inside the ESChandler.lua:
https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/deploy/fafdevelop/lua/ui/dialogs/eschandler.lua#L61

So as I understand it you are saying NONE OF pressing the x, alt+f4, or exit windows cause the disconnect window. Correct?

If not... rather than stating where they are processed, can somebody just list out the different ways to quit and whether they cause the disconnect window or not?

Well, i tested this in LAN, no clue if this is also the case online:

No disconnect window on:
[ALT]+[F4]
close windows with X
ingame menu -> Quit
"exit" inside console window
removing game task with task manager

disconnect window on
game crash
pressing reset on PC (hard reset)
turning PC off
unplug Network cable (game continues when i replug the network cable)

Hmm I always thought alt f4 causes the Desyncs windows to show.

So when players rage quit they either are

1. Hard powering off their PC
  2. On laptop shutting the lid
  3. Disconnecting from wifi / unplugging Ethernet cable

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!

@thecore said in Do i cause Desyncs? - how do i properly leave match after dying?:

So when players rage quit they either are ..

Unlikely. It's more likely there are simply bugs in the game that sometimes cause desyncs to happen, even if the player exited in a "safe" way.

It will be interesting to start sharing this in game chat. Often when someone leaves and disconnect window shows up people start complaining they left the wrong way. I also think it's unlikely people are just doing a hard shut down.

Desyncs have become a lot rarer ever since it now nixes the controls after someone drops.