[Discontinued] Ethereal FAF Client 1.0

@nuclear_justice i was lazy to remake them in lobby cards XD I will fix it with next release

@Nuclear_Justice
if there will be at least one player with ava, will be added extra space
175cbf4e-a8f0-4a6b-af59-9be393cf2e16-image.png
9accb7b3-7e05-4682-af40-0196701eb809-image.png

Improvement of UI update

Can show context menu on host

abcef4ca-73bb-4d7a-a97f-6e546b289358-image.png

@Eternal you're awesome, thank you 🙂

I see that this was written in C# and uses WPF. That means it won't work in Linux or Mac. Why are you developing a new FAF client? Whats wrong with the one written in Java?

@eezyville why? Because it's interesting. What's wrong with official one? I don't like it, that's all

@eternal Well thats a good enough reason. I may try to help since I know a little C# and want to contribute to projects. But I use Linux and WPF doesn't work in Linux. Maybe I'll try to port it to Avalonia UI and see if that will work.

@eezyville You can try to launch it with Wine at least

@eternal no luck with wine sadly. I throws some sort of dot net error. Maybe proton tricks or some shit can fix it, I’ll try to mess with it in a bit.

@spikeynoob Can you send me error messages? Does it even launch?

Just realized there is a Beta out. Client looks very nice. I was pleasantly suprised by the intro video. I think that adds a lot to the first time experience of the client.
Some things I wish for:

• easy way to migrate friendslist from Java client to this one
  • the homepage looks very cluttered I prefer the layout from the Javaclient a lot. Forum is a nice addition, not sure if nice enough to break the clean layout.

Keep up the good work!

@bangernoob hey thanks for feedback. What do you mean by "cluttered"? How I can fix it. Because there is ambitious plans for additional functionality

New release https://github.com/Eternal-ll/Ethereal-FAF-Client/releases/tag/v0.3-beta

Changelog:

1. Updated user-agent to matched client name. Now we can look how much users use this client.
  2. Fixed chat lag on load or on channel change
  3. Fixed chat bug on leave from channel
  4. Added possibility to watch live replays.

From player context menu will be launched selected player live replay.
From game context menu will be launched replay from first player in list of players

The newspage for the old client has a handcrafted layout every week, kind of a shame to throw that out. Also I dislike the transition into the backgroundimage:

cc33a4f7-306e-4117-b922-11299327d4c8-image.png
these forum topic links:
873affd2-76c1-4c4b-a7ca-1ea60f54db6e-image.png
catch my eye faster then the images of the news page for instance. I think it is also questionable to put them there bc they will have to be maintained. Threads get outdated etc.

Also the online player search window does not belong there imo. Just takes up space/ attention and is redundante cause of chat feature.

I would suggest to copy the original newspage and mb add the forum window below.

@bangernoob

1. the embedded browser will not be implemented because it is a waste of performance.
    1.1. API give me ability to watch old news
  2. I will update links directly from /newshub in next release.
  3. Online players search is alternative. User can still connect to IRC but not sitting on #aeolus to see all players.
  4. i can highlight news images

c1e9d58b-1df9-4a38-b8b9-f656db845c09-image.png

9d3972dd-e431-4cab-8237-207522a1140b-image.png dc2439fb-2843-4e23-943e-616b829a50a8-image.png

alternative
c18ca0cb-2c2c-4452-86fc-e8bc84bf4529-image.png

@eternal the issue is that the news on the actual News hub is Order in a spesifc ways in priority so when we have a hero post wich need to get across to more people that it the more important news article their no way to tell this on your and their not in the same order of posing from the new-hub page. as well as the fact we work on a weekly scheduled so having lots of the old news in their is fine but should not be as front and center as the new news for that week that were trying to get people to look at.

EG mined the quick number squiggles. each news post is weighted to the most important and to the lest important on the news-hub. the way your importing it the first news item to load would be 600 weights when the 1000 weights is the more important one.
1ce5534a-87e5-4497-be17-af2af274ddb8-image.png

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@rowey i took less API data as i can. I will look into these values on API for next release

@eternal said in ★ Ethereal FAF Client Highlights ★:

@rowey i took less API data as i can. I will look into these values on API for next release

I dont know what is inclide on the api data but as you can see below is where we sent the position of the article to show
08f9bb19-c684-414b-86d6-e8110f73040f-image.png

@eternal Nice all news articles will have a value thier