Removal of CPU scores in lobby

I have a computer made in 2010, a few years ago when I installed faf I got a 240 score. In all the games I've played I have been the slowest computer once or twice and the only time my computer has been a problem has been one huge survival game.

So when I get kicked from games because they ask me what CPU you have and I tell them don't worry about me or I have seen many people get kicked because of the same. Non of these lobbies had a CPU limit score. Every game I have played has had good sim speed because after the one game that played pretty slow I avoided them.

I know that this doesn't solve the toxic people and I foe them and never join them again but we also hide the ping score too.

Not having some way to gauge a player's hardware in a p2p game that can last up to 90 minutes (particularly dual gap) is going to lead to more toxicity, not less. Ping was removed because anything sub 500 is fine so long as you don't spike and most people do not comprehend that. It's why ping will show up as a yellow/red line if you do go over 500 ping.

What you could do is define some arbitrary cpu score value that is considered "bad" but that will always be subjective since it heavily depends on map and cannot be pinpointed objectively like ping.

Yeah I can play a 90 min dual gap game and not be the slowest player with a computer that i bought for $300. Cpu score is worthless.

Even if there are problems with it it is by no means a worth less one...

Do tests of fresh windows. Turn off all additional programs that using first thread

@veteranashe said in Removal of CPU scores in lobby:

So when I get kicked from games because they ask me what CPU you have and I tell them don't worry about me

So when they see your 240 and ask you, you give the typical laggers' hollow answer and yet you are surprised they kick you?

So definitely not remove the score. 240 is too slow for a lot of maps and the game needs a way to be played without the insane simlag. The introduction of this cpu bench was one of the best things to happen.

Host your own games or find folks to play with that can vouch for you are the only real options to avoid that, I have found (260+ cpu player here. I only lag on late game Dual Gap or big late game air engagements).

Removing the score would just allow people with terribleCPUs to ruin a game after it launches, and then if they upgrade their PC they might still have that shattered reputation as a lagger that they can't escape... all of this is bad. I think the current solution is less bad, even if people are jerks sometimes.

I don't have problems with lagging or my computer. My sim runs faster than the score suggests, why I say it's not useful. I have not been the slowest computer in any game so far.

If asked in lobby I just say don't worry about me.

I don't have problems with lagging or my computer. My sim runs faster than the score suggests, why I say it's not useful. I have not been the slowest computer in any game so far.

If asked in lobby I just say don't worry about me.

That is an answer that will just get you kicked, as it's beating around the bush.

That there are a lot of players (especially those with light laptops) that have a too low bench score is another problem. I've suggested just listing the CPU model...

But you get 240... so what CPU do you have?

2010... that predates 2nd gen i3/5/7, so that's maybe an i7-870?

Btw, bench scores have been reduced for the same systems some time ago, so it doesn't compare to older topics that well.

Gotta tell you man... 2011 was a good year for more efficient CPU's. If you upgraded in 2011 you might have recouped the investment on energy savings.

The benchmark map (that will replace the CPU score) is roughly 50% complete. I hope to complete it by the end of May, and integrate it with the client somewhere in June.

Fun fact: with comparison of the state of the game in May 2021, we already have more than 50% better performance 🙂 .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I could spend hours trying to tell what my computer specs are, if they don't believe me from me saying it's fine then they won't believe me when I tell them my processor.

It's something like a xeon e5 5680 3.3 ghz I think. Dell precision 7500 workstation. Still works good although I lost my quadro 5000 video card recently and the $100 replacement card doesn't work that great.

I can't make any guarantees, but if you just say you have a xeon e5 5680 3.3 ghz instead of a generic "trust me, it's fine", you'll probably find that things might improve.

Jerks will still be jerks tho.

I have a crazy idea. Show the processor name in the tooltip. 😃

So is that processor good enough for you to play a regular (not a gap type) 12 player game?

You can find the first version of the benchmark map, along with a description of how to use it in the #game-benchmark-timings channel in the official FAF Discord.

image_2022-05-04_183322750.png
R5 2600 4Ghz
16gb dual channel 2667mhz 14/16/16/16/48/54 memory.
10 UI mods.

Also I feel like we could make a new topic or move this to the old one.

Best to use the channel in question to put your results in!

And note that it has been updated, in particular:

### Tweak the client

We need to pass an additional program argument to the game. To do this see the attached screenshot and this description: Open the client, open the bar menu and open the settings dialogue. Then go to the `Forged Alliance Forever` tab and navigate to the `Command Line Format for executable` header. Make sure that it says:
 - "%s /RunWithTheWind"

Do **not** forget the " !

I could spend hours trying to tell what my computer specs are, if they don't believe me from me saying it's fine then they won't believe me when I tell them my processor.

It's something like a xeon e5 5680 3.3 ghz I think. Dell precision 7500 workstation. Still works good although I lost my quadro 5000 video card recently and the $100 replacement card doesn't work that great.

They won't believe you from saying "I'm fine" because that's the exact line all the simspeed laggers use. The most likely result is.... you get kicked.

For FAF your Xeon is way below even an i5 from a year later and I would not be surprised if Dell throttles it.

@jip said in Removal of CPU scores in lobby:

this Discord post.

The only thing that link takes me to is your post saying; "it is disgusting that you posted that publicly while you're a team lead or soon-to-be team lead"

Typical piece of Bloatware, that Discord. Unclear maze that it is.

@jcvjcvjcvjcv Go to the #Game-benchmark-timing channel, you will find all you need out there.