Small suggestions topic

Here are my 2cents on several "small"? changes from a 1100 rating noob player:

• I understand there is strategy behind it, but please make upgrading a t2 mex->t3 the same cost as destroying the t2, reclaiming, and building a t3 mex.

• Maybe not "small" but if there's any way to fix the colossus beam targeting while moving that would be amazing. Many times I've seen people move a colossus into the enemy base but the beam turns 90 degrees and tries to fire at something behind itself. Often times it ends up attacking nothing except the ground. Yes you can stop the colossus from walking but then it eats unholy amount of damage and dies.

• If possible make engineering stations (hives & kennel drones) not assist anti-nuke's unless manually selected/assisted. If you build lots of hives nearby a factory or quantum gate without microing, most of the time the drones eventually end up assist building the anti-nuke and it becomes a waste.

• When going to reclaim/assist, is it possible to make it so we no longer need to put a move order at max range before reclaim order? Yes it would make the game more casual but I'm bad so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Is it possible to see a preview for the map generated maps? I would play more games with the map-gen if I could see what it looked like before downloading it.

• Also, this is almost 100% not a small change but more options for the map generator could be cool. Maybe the ability to select more than 1 "map style".
    Thanks!

@jip said in Small suggestions topic:

@quarterblack said in Small suggestions topic:

A way to insert a build order at the beginning of the queue.

Ironically this is quite difficult as we have little to no access to the command queue of a unit. It appears the original developers (GPG) never finished that part of the programming interface.

I really like quarterblacks suggestion. Too bad it doesnt work. Is it also impossible to modify the queues of a factory? I think this might also be really a quality-of-life change. I regularly find myself cancelling the whole build queue just because i need another engineer and have no way (that i know of) of inserting the buildorder at the beginning of the queue.

Thank you for all the effort - it is greatly appreciated! Still having fun with my friends even after a decade!

Would it be possible to prevent anyone to spamm the pause button?

How about we turn on by default all the "proplayer features" in options?

Make global switches so that I don't have to manually activate each Cybran ASF's stealth after it is built, but make it global for every switch in the game, if it is possible.

And make a switch for harbingers so that they don't stop reclaiming or assisting while having an attack-move command.

I meant "once and for all", not like "select every unit of the type and flip the switch". Like with fiends' web in Warcraft 3: If you turn it off, all new fiends will have it off.

@melanol the hotkey for that already exists.

@melanol that is kinda weird tbh.

1. Encourage Players to host games in Opti balance games. Allow host to choose their starting position all other players are Opti balanced randomly. This will encourage more players to host games if they get to select their starting position.

2. To prevent players from quitting when they are on the losing team which spoils the game for everyone a good solution would be the last 2 or last commander standing in the losing team to have no loss of ranking points.

@melanol said in Small suggestions topic:

Make global switches so that I don't have to manually activate each Cybran ASF's stealth after it is built, but make it global for every switch in the game, if it is possible.

And make a switch for harbingers so that they don't stop reclaiming or assisting while having an attack-move command.

Suggestion: When you have 1 or more Gemini selected, right clicking on the stealth button turns stealth on/off for ALL Gemini you own. To avoid unstealthing all of your fighters by mistake, maybe if ANY gemini is uncloaked, right-clicking will turn cloak on for ALL of them.

Or you could have right click = turn on for all, shift right click = turn off for all.

And add the same thing for Revenant.

Alternative suggestion: you could add buttons to the Cybran T3 air factories to turn on/off stealth for all Gemini and all Revenants. But I think it would be better to modify an existing button that's already on the planes.

@heavenly said in Small suggestions topic:

To prevent players from quitting when they are on the losing team which spoils the game for everyone a good solution would be the last 2 or last commander standing in the losing team to have no loss of ranking points.

This would be horrible.

"If I hide my ACU, maybe I can die last"

"If I let my teammate die first, I won't lose any points"

"hey, he's hiding in the north pond, kill him before you kill me pls"

RTS players are always going to try to use every mechanic to get every advantage they can. They will try to abuse every mechanic in a game.

@arma473

The majority of players hide their commanders during game play in safer areas such as water or under heavy shields they all try to ensure their commander survives.
It won't change game play whether or not if this was introduced. A much better game experience to see a game fought to the end that encourages players to see through to the end game rather than commanders mass quitting in the losing team if it starts to get too hard.

1st raing is not sth to boost your ego, but to guarantee balanced games. dont even consider messing with it for any reason thats not rating related, since unintended longterm effects could be introduced that break rating completely in the long run (do you even know how trueskill works?).
2nd fighting untill the end isnt a great think in every case either. if 1 player just drags out a game for no reason he can waste the time of 4-6 players for no reason at all.
3rd what you say doesnt apply to every map, or slot on a map (over the time of the entire game!), dont assume the map you play -which, from what I see is mostly dual gap ................ - is the only one. the only thing your rule would do is artificially tanking the reating of airslots etc., making rating an even worse metric in generic teamgames (Where the host can chose his slot and the slot of every other paly in the game!)

Forumpros doing balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTcguJZh3A .
When a canis player remembers to build more than 3 units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjp8xJHuyA .

@turinturambar said in Small suggestions topic:

do you even know how trueskill works?

I heard ftx does

Counterexample: You are needlessly ruining my games by incentivizing stubborn dudes that can’t realize game is over and I need to waste 10 minutes grinding out an already won game cuz they are hoping to be the lucky lottery winner to not lose points since my team went for them last.

@oblii said in Small suggestions topic:

make some mods ranked, like the ones that fix some of the games lagging issues (hive animation for example)

This mod in particular barely has an impact anymore after the performance change to the drones.

@oblii said in Small suggestions topic:

spread build - make it happen please

Example - make it happen please

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

a small suggestion that i would appreciate is the ability to sort maps during map selection by map size, it seems like currently you can search for a specific map size but you cant sort them based on map size

not the most important thing but might be worth adding

Two suggestions by @Emperor_Penguin that took me ~ 40 minutes to implement:

47ec4166-5713-4047-8c50-738ddb6ea5e8-image.png
Being able to see the list of mods that are enabled in the tooltip of the list entry. For more information see this pull request on Github. PS: starting the game with this combination of mods causes it to crash 🙂 .

78c43d8a-1bb6-430f-bd00-6a1cd294aa95-image.png
Being able to see the map version in the tooltip of the scoreboard. For more information see this pull request on Github.

And the suggestion by @Scout_More_Often :

eb20b31d-8e96-4f50-9884-ceec5ca6eb80-image.png
Where the button is increased in size and it remains enabled when you ready up. For more information see this pull request.

They still require translations - so they're not finished yet. But these are small suggestions that are nice quality of life improvements. Keep them coming.

@banan3 said in Small suggestions topic:

How about we turn on by default all the "proplayer features" in options?

Such as?

@jip said in Small suggestions topic:

Printing the team scores to the chat (host only)

Having deliberatly unbalanced games is very common thing in lower rating/experiance games. Once you get into rating and reputation that is high enough, it can change. And if you are part of the 100 best players who all know each other, you might forget about it, maybe.

But in lower level, one team having 2 times less score or 20 times less experiance is common. Host balancing enemy team, having all players with less than 100 games and hosts own team, having all players with more than 1000 games is not rare. Or a big difference in players score. Also game quality % does not work well in low level, making it easyer to make unbalanced games.

All that can make many new players leave, and they dont even know what happened. And of course it makes games that are not interesting.

What I try to say is: Team score and team experiance/number of games, should be visible to all players in lobby, not only for host.