FAF Website Main Video

@rowey I guess I still have it

@Eternal how you downlod dircet from youtube ?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

@rowey You can google youtube to mp4, there's like a trillion options like: https://iyoutubetomp4.com/en/

the only issue a lot of them are limited to 720p Res hence why I was asking about if he had the original file

Give me a place where I can place 500mb file. After you can crop what you want on it.

Having an auto playing video on the website doesnt sounds like a good idea

@speed2 said in FAF Website Main Video:

It won't make sound - just an animation sequence like BAR has:

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

You can't put a 5mb+ file as a background video on the main page...

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@Brutus5000 can you explain why its a 5mb+ cap for the main page. whats the limitation ? the clip being use was ripped from the C&C website for testing and its 8.7Mb

@rowey i think it should be light to load it faster

Yeah, you don't wanna have a mobile user suddenly see 500mb disappear from their packet.
Though it's entirely possible to get this video 2 min video to like 30-40MB. Though I still think this is gonna be too much.

the current clip was using is 20 seconds and is only 8.8mb wich to me doesn't seem that much of a streach

can be used webp, or smt that is better. Or some other types of streaming content

You need to make sure it works on mobile. I’ve had videos like this cause all sorts of issues like completely freezing the page or crashing the browser or like others said just eating a ton of data. Don’t assume that you know what is “ok” for someone else’s data usage. Just because your mobile plan can handle it doesn’t mean that others can.

You also need to make sure that it scales properly on small screens and doesn’t make the whole website derp out. You can use CSS to load different resources depending on the screen size, so I’d recommend either loading a lower res version of the video or maybe not loading a video at all on mobile.

@jip said in FAF Website Main Video:

@speed2 said in FAF Website Main Video:

It won't make sound - just an animation sequence like BAR has:

It still has 7,5MB
So if you're browsing on a phone and eats that much data for news, in our case for a webpage. I'd rather have a simple image

Sounds good, for sure much better than an image from supcom 2.

Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 10

https://forum.faforever.com/topic/480/h-master-s-maps

Since it's a background video it can be scaled down and have reduced framerate. I remember back in the days people had contests how they could fit best looking videos into tiny gifs. No clue what can be reached today but I would aim for 2mb max on the main page.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

For context, the existing image is already 2.3mb.