Time to become more friendly to new people as a game

Is it possible to play recorded video in maps to explain concepts like reclaim, adjacency, power stalling, regen, sniping, area of effect?

A "new player" co-op campaign might be a good way to go about delivering this. A single point of focus that teaches the basics that existing players or community people can point beginners to?

I have zero coding ability so im probably not much help with it.

It kindof annoys me that most of the coop missions are really long. My fav ones are the ones from the og campaign that you can only build some t1 units and finish in like 10-20 minutes. IMO we should have something like that but better geared towards teaching FAF.

@askaholic said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

It kindof annoys me that most of the coop missions are really long. My fav ones are the ones from the og campaign that you can only build some t1 units and finish in like 10-20 minutes. IMO we should have something like that but better geared towards teaching FAF.

100%

And if each of these missions was designed to teach just 1-3 new skills, then people would have a much better idea as to what skills they need to work on in order to advance through the campaign.

How hard is it to change the first supcom mission? Could we duplicate it then make a munch of scenarios out of it.

Just change the start to what we are trying to accomplish

2 pgen build order
Hydro rush build order

Then maybe work on things like
Mex upgrades
T2 hqs

Vanilla supcom campaign wasnt designed to teach you play, and it wasnt designed to teach you play FAF at all. It was designed to slowly introduce units.

It would be much better to create a new campaign or missions with FAF balance in mind and clear things you wanna teach the player, it's possible to combine it with some sort of story so it's a still fun mission.

@derpfaf said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

Is it possible to play recorded video in maps to explain concepts like reclaim, adjacency, power stalling, regen, sniping, area of effect?

It is possible

@speed2 said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

It would be much better to create a new campaign or missions with FAF balance in mind and clear things you wanna teach the player, it's possible to combine it with some sort of story so it's a still fun mission.

Btw, there were a bunch of suggestions about the specific contents of such missions by me and others in the noob matchmaker thread, starting here: https://forum.faforever.com/post/14449

@katharsas said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

@speed2 said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

Btw, there were a bunch of suggestions about the specific contents of such missions by me and others in the noob matchmaker thread, starting here: https://forum.faforever.com/post/14449

Yeah, those are some decent ideas šŸ™‚ And I would much rather see something new that is designed for that purpose than trying to force the change into the existing stuff that was never meant for that purpose.

@veteranashe that was exactly the plan.

In the first supcom mission it has you build 3 mexes, then some pgens or something, then a land face

That is exactly teaching you to play, and teaching the wrong starting build order

The problem with the campaign isn't that it teaches the wrong build order, its that it teaches you not to even think about build orders. Just do whatever, build up some point defense, upgrade your mexes until you're ready to advance the scenario. There's no pressure to be efficient. You can learn basic gameplay mechanics but you can't learn how to become a t1 tank spammer.

@veteranashe said in Time to become more friendly to new people as a game:

In the first supcom mission it has you build 3 mexes, then some pgens or something, then a land face

That is exactly teaching you to play, and teaching the wrong starting build order

That was correct/somewhat correct BO in Vanilla Supcom

Iā€™m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

I remember vanilla supcom, and played online, was still factory first

Maybe instead of a new campaign you could do something like what age of empires 3 DE Art Of War did. At the end of each mission you are given a gold silver and bronze medal
Each mission focus on learning a new game mechanic.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kg7-dGUhArI/maxresdefault.jpg

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!