FAF is using up a tremendous amount of power

I mean, until the latest release, or past few release I never had this issue. The client seems to get worse with each update, in terms of connectivity, UI lag etc..

It should improve and get better, not the opposite.

And yes I'm on the latest client 2024.1.0

@waterbottle 2024.1.1 is actually the latest full release.

There's also the newer 2024.1.2-alpha-1 if you want the actual latest client.

@sheikah said in FAF is using up a tremendous amount of power:

It is two fold. The first is that now that we have tracked away status on the chat server the number of users reported in the list went from ~1500 to >9000 so just more users to keep track.

The second is that the library we are using to interact with irc (KittehIrc) tracks users and their states using snapshots where it has an immutable user object and then whenever a change to the user is made it marks it stale and on the next fetch retrieves the new user object. And this happens for all the irc state objects. This combined with initializing all the player objects at the start of the client resulted in many state changes and objects being created.

This excessive state tracking is removed in the most recent version of the client as I wrote something that is more efficient for our usage since we don't care about all the information irc passes.

Why do we need to know the number of away players? We don't need to know this, every since this came to client it started using up all my CPU somehow, it's ridiculous. Causes horrible in game lag

@mostlostnoob said in FAF is using up a tremendous amount of power:

@waterbottle 2024.1.1 is actually the latest full release.

There's also the newer 2024.1.2-alpha-1 if you want the actual latest client.

Ok then the client is failing to notify me there is yet another update. Player's don't usually check the github for new updates, they rely on being notified in the client like me.

there is a box to tick in settings if you want to be notified of pre-releases

Why do we need to know the number of away players? We don't need to know this, every since this came to client it started using up all my CPU somehow, it's ridiculous. Causes horrible in game lag

Because this now allows people to message players who are offline and they will receive the message when they next come online which has been a desired feature.

@waterbottle said in FAF is using up a tremendous amount of power:

I mean, until the latest release, or past few release I never had this issue. The client seems to get worse with each update, in terms of connectivity, UI lag etc..

It should improve and get better, not the opposite.

I don't really have much to say to this outside of that it has generally been getting better as that has been the focus, and there was just one hiccup with the high amount of players that has been largely corrected now.

And just the truth that bugs with new features always have to be ironed out.

Just wanted to comment here that my client always lag if i switch to aeolus in chat. If i have aeolus closed there is no such lag. This is since we have everybody on away.
Why was this feature implemented by the way? I get that you can now send messages to people who are "offline" (if that would work stable), but who needs that? Feature might be good if faf is not a "laggy shitshow". I get that you can only test these feature if its implemented globally, but who asked for this? It just makes it way more confusing to see who is online.
Since this change i have to restart my faf client 4-5 times a day to have a functioning client that is not lagging (same with some of my friends)

It was mainly implemented to try and be helpful to the moderators so they could message people who were not currently online. And it was all set up as a bit of an experiment to see if it would work with the number of players that we have.