Connection issues never been this bad

Hey Guys, I understand that there were some DDOS attacks by some idiots on the FAF Servers and that the new client should hopefully solve this but it still needs some work I think because I cant remember a time having connection issues this bad.

Came back to faf some weeks ago (you know, family, life etc. makes it difficult to play it regularly) and I tried to have some random Team and custom team games in the evenings but I managed to play maybe 3 games in a week of trying. In most games someone drops within the first 3min and the game gets restarted. Every time waiting another 10 min until the game fills up, balancing etc. just to re again after the first minutes.

Quite frankly, this is killing the game. If we can't find a stable way of playing team games again this will cause the playerbase to die out. No one want's to spend the little free time he has trying over and over to get into a game just to be canceled after a few min again.

Just sharing my experience and hope there will be a stable way of playing soon again. Or has anyone some solution? should we all just focus on 1on1's or something instead or 2v2 custom maps?

Mate, all I can say is keep persevering. I get the impression that the team is doing their best to resolve the issues. I had a good game last night with no drops and minimal lag. We're getting there...

faf.mabula.net maintainer.

Who exactly is responsible for the DDOS? Some asshole who got banned and is angry? Sanctuary Devs trying to eliminate the competition?

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

Connection issues predate DDoS. We are working on it but keep getting interrupted.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Could not play FaF for a week - very sad.

Noticed that relays are always dead, so one should use only p2p.
Unfortunately, I have public static IP but still can not connect to most of players.

I can host a game but don't think anyone can join and cannot join any other game in the lobby. Did some testing on 2 pcs game will connect in the lobby if I choose in the settings>FAF>prefered coturns for ice> the IC adaptor for US on both PCS. When you change and choose Australia or allow default Ice adaptor I can no longer connect to join the game in the lobby on the 2 Pcs. Is this a known issue with the settings or Ice adaptor?

@heavenly I had the same issue. I set the Coturn to Germany 1 in Settings > FAF > Preferred Coturns for ICE and could connect better. I also had Force Relay Connection OFF.

v.10 of the FAF client seems like a step back. Had many game crashes + FAF client crashes. Gonna have to wait to see if v.11 any better. v.10 unplayable for me.

After not being able to play I set Coturn to Germany 1. Can now join games.

Thanks @ginandtonicbot I set Coturn to Germany 1.
I logged into 2 games and both were connecting successfully.

@heavenly thanks for that suggestion. setting my coturn as US seems to have worked! Germany and Australia didn't.

hmm, both US and Germany are working for me now. Germany wasn't working for me yesterday.

I notice the coturn servers have changed. yesterday there were 7, today there are only 3.

Well, it's terrible. I haven't played a single game without disconnection today. I agree, players will leave faf if nothing changes.

What about the little sad Russian whose ego is shattered?

Unfortunately FAF is still suffering from DDOS attacks which are causing issues - see the announcements for further details. A solution is being worked on, but will take time:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/6680/ddos-update

More announcements and more monitoring. a year to late. the damage is done.

How about releasing the player statistics for this year. I have a suspicion

Yeah let's not fix it because we couldn't fix it on day one. We must stay consistent after all!

Why are you writing posts like this?

@maudlin27 said in Connection issues never been this bad:

Unfortunately FAF is still suffering from DDOS attacks which are causing issues - see the announcements for further details. A solution is being worked on, but will take time:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/6680/ddos-update

Well, I am grateful that there are people working on it. After all FAF is a "community project" of people loving the game and help to ensure we all can still have fun and enjoy it. There is no monetary motivation behind it. As long as this community has awesome people like this, I am hopeful we can get through this tough time.

@blackyps said in Connection issues never been this bad:

Yeah let's not fix it because we couldn't fix it on day one. We must stay consistent after all!

Why are you writing posts like this?

Because we are all frustrated, because I am frustrated. Because we waste entire evenings. The problem isn't even the Russian. He actually just highlights the level of incompetence this project is in. After reading the nonsense post in which even the Russian is given respect, I'm not exactly sure what's more absurd here.

The yelled frustration on the forum or at the developers about the DDoS is not helpful either. If you, @HOSCHMOSCH, want to assist instead of venting your anger, you are very welcome to contact the developers and contribute your IT expertise and coding professionalism to FAF. Even if you lack those abilities, the team is always open for constructive critic.

Everyone wants to have it fixed asap, just give it some time and it will be resolved like it always has been in the past.

If I had these skills, I would start working on it today.. Unfortunately i dont habe them, I don't possess them, and one should also admit it when that's the case. It's apparent that you don't have them either. Don't accuse me of not wanting to participate. I was even willing to donate specifically for this issue. I applied to be a moderator because no moderator has been online for weeks, but I didn't even receive a response. So much for that.

But, in the end, it's not really that important anymore. FAF is just a shadow of its former self. Only hardcore gamers like me and the FAF team remain. Everyone else is already looking for other games, and many have already found them.

Sadly, mentioning this trend is perceived as an attack. And unfortunately, everything that stands between success and FAF is the team's complete incompetence and their utter lack of direction."

Engaging the Russians could be a solution. Whoever finds irony can keep it.