Connection issues never been this bad

This dude has no clue how hard DDoS protection on a platform like FAF is, and is an actual clown trying to say that the server devs don’t have the skills or aren’t putting in the time.

Even if they didn’t have the skills to start with, which to be clear I don’t think is the case, so what? They’re still trying and have clearly made progress, what the hell else could you expect from volunteers? Brutus (and team) has provided updates with clear steps taken, steps that aren’t trivial for that matter, and has clearly been consistently working on this issue while having a full time job and a family.

If you want more maybe actually learn something about the subject at hand, you’ll quickly realize that it’s not trivial. Otherwise stop proudly demonstrating how absolutely clueless you are, thanks.

I don't think there's much else worth discussing here, and the thread has dissolved into insulting each other back and forth.

Developers are aware of connection issues and were already working on it before DDOS protection urgently required their time.

@hoschmosch said in [Connection issues never been this bad]

I won't casually learn all aspects of IT just to solve a specific and highly granular issue.

Oh. But you expect it from us? Nobody here is an expert in network stuff. We all do learning by doing. But it takes a lot of time. And time is very limited if you work full time and have a life outside of FAF.

as you mentioned, the admins claim to know what to do, but their precious time prevents them from investing that time in their own project and the community.

First of all where do we claim that we know how to solve this particular problem? There are different issues and nowhere am I denying the connection problem. I even blogged about what we try to do and what is blocking me so far.

But then step aside and say that you don't have time for us. an admin who invests more time in constantly giving us long-winded statements instead of addressing the problem? And again, this is about a core issue, not the design."

If someone wants to take all of this over and solve this problem, I'll hand over the keys tomorrow. Where is the magical dude?

By the way prepare to also start maintaining 7 linux servers, a docker stack with 26 applications, with each of them needing regular maintenance and software updates. But we can also make a partial handover.

Considering that the quality has been in the gutter for about a year, and playing is hardly possible, you can be sure that everyone now knows that you either don't care anymore or you're trying to divert attention from your lack of knowledge and helplessness. The Russian has exposed you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I receive different feedback from people, that it's at least partially playable. Still we try to solve the issue. But unless an expert comes and fixes it, there's nothing else we can do. We cannot hire a company to fix it, that's a multiple weeks or month job with expenses going in to the 10.000$s of dollars.

So we have acknowledged the problem. We/I are trying to fix it. We/I are not qualified experts on this. Nor is anybody else who contacted me on this so far.

You can continue insulting us all day long, it won't speed up anything.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice