Questions about the new map generator

I don't understand why you repost questions that have already been answered in the original thread where you first asked them.

To answer the question that is left over:

@zhanghm18 said in Questions about the new map generator:

I prefer maps like "heaven reaf" which are dark in color and have more reflective water. But there is no color option in the generator. How should I set up to generate a dark map?

At the moment you can't select the biome that you want to generate. I would like to create this option, but there is a disagreement between developers if this should be added, as it would iirc remove the option that some biomes can spawn a variant that has much more reclaim than normal.

How does it determine to delete a map from mapgen and would it be possible to make it not do that for a certain map?

@redx said in Questions about the new map generator:

How does it determine to delete a map from mapgen and would it be possible to make it not do that for a certain map?

Generated maps are auto-deleted when you close the FAF client & there's no way to change that.

To save a generated map, you'll need to either move the folder of the generated map to a safe place & copy it back each time you start the client or copy the name of the generated map & paste it somewhere safe, then when you want to play it again, copy that name & paste it into the Map Name field of the map generator.

Deleted how? By name? How does it know to delete them is what I am asking?

IIRC, any map that start with "neroxis_map_generator" is considered a mapgen map & thus auto-deleted; however, I won't say that's 100% correct.

@RedX The following code runs a function called deleteGeneratedMaps(). This function looks at the names of maps in a map directory. If a name matches a certain pattern that indicates it's a generated map, the code deletes it.

The method is here:

https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/blob/8da6989fe928f55b1a382541718611e53c84925e/src/main/java/com/faforever/client/map/generator/MapGeneratorService.java#L70

You could fire up your IDE and comment out the specific code to keep the maps all the time if you prefer, but they accumulate over time, causing unnecessary clutter and probably performance issues later when you have thousands of maps.

I'm not the one who was originally asking, just trying to help. It seems to me like you could then simply rename the map file and have it stick around, right? Would that cause issues with others being able to download the map?

@redx Yes, it would cause issues as players get maps & mods they don't have from the FAF servers, not from other players. The only way to get around that with manually renaming the folder is to use file sharing to send or allow access to the renamed folder to other players. This is not ideal & some may not want to deal with that.

The proper way to handle mapgen maps is as stated earlier; copy/paste the map name someplace safe & then copy/paste that into the Map Name field of generator when you want to play that map again. The other method would be the folder copy/paste procedure stated earlier.

There is of course the method that magge pointed out regarding amending the generator code, but I don't know if that's a long term solution as that could be overridden by client updates.

What is needed is a way to add specific seeds to a favorite or 'saved' list. Should allow you to regenerate the map on demand from your personal archive. Add a button for "add latest generated map to your saved maps" and a manual input field for the seed with the same function and you've got a pretty nice feature.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png