Summer League 2023 Event

finalv4.png

It's that time for the new Summer League to begin on the 1st of July till the end of August.

All you need to do to take part is play on the 1v1 ladder in the matchmaker tab.
a531ac3a-e41a-4e1e-b3a9-43436dd5e8ca-image.png

The Top 4 Brackets will be rewarded at the end of the Season.

Prizes
05a8b309-77cb-4d85-a863-e5ecbc5c5960-image.png

Total $50 Funded by FAF
$50 - Grandmaster

When the new season starts you can keep checking in on the Leaderboards tab to see where you are and other are in fighting your way towards that shiny new avatar
5fc0838b-0da1-4494-9603-ea261b366ea5-image.png

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Ah yes now the two dudes boosting each other also get money for it. Love to see it.

Also did that system get through now? I do remember a lot of criticism about it in the past months

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Boosting is bannable obviously so they won't get rewarded for an event either

Thanks for organizing this, looks cool

What do you mean with "split $50"
And will prizes be for the top of each league or for everyone in that league?

So what if you are a Diamond IV rank at the end of season? Do you still earn the gold avatar?

@fichom its for the top person at the top of the brackets specified

@rowey That is not really clear at the moment from your post. Maybe check with a few others to proofread/rewrite your post.

Cool initiative though, thanks for organizing!

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

What happens if two players have the same top score?
and tbh I dislike that idea cuz players will simply stop playing once the top score is reached and wait for the next season, basically achieving the exact opposite of what it should do

@rowey said in Summer League 2023 Event:

@fichom its for the top person at the top of the brackets specified

That's quite silly. So instead of playing the game and climbing I'm incentivized to actually just hog my top spot in divisions below as otherwise I don't get anything out of it? If you wanna give out avatars make it so you also get all the ones from below divisions. So if I jump from gold to diamond I get Gold avatar. And if I'm grandmaster I also get diamond and gold ones even if I don't get the grandmaster badge for being top 1 grandmaster.

Thinking about it, why exactly did they get added? There are the 1v1 tourneys in a certain bracket aka. silver, gold, diamond and then master+GM which already have a nice avatar. Or do they get replaced with this system?

I think that's a bit silly, that someone in grandmaster, who performed better than the #1 in master I, gets nothing. It also gives #1 in master I the incentive to stop pushing for grandmaster which is kinda counterintuitive

Yeah, a guy in gold 1 gonna see he is top, keep playing and then rank up getting nothing.

The embodiment of depression...

@sladow-noob I have the same concern. You're getting punished for winning too much.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

As everyone pretty much already suggested, maybe make it a "qualifying" type of deal, where if you reach Gold I or higher (and not even necessarily 1st spot), you qualify to receive the Gold I avatar. And then you have similar goals for each avatar. That does sound like a lot of avatar handout though, and I can see a concern with that.

Also regarding the avatar, would you like me to try and integrate a year into that? At least a ['23] type of deal.

God bless the moderators handing out 1000 avatars.

Or maybe something where it’s based on what bracket you were in when the season started and the person with the biggest improvement gets the avatar for that bracket?

@ftxcommando Pretty sure it could be automated somewhat easily. But I agree, if devops team doesn't have time to handle that, it would be quite the task. Idk how referent current state is, but the lowest rated Gold I player is 129th, so that means "only" 129 avatars. Still a bunch of work to be done manually, ofc.

You can add additional constraints, like at least 50 games played (or less the higher the rank, since it's harder to get games, but you get the gist) in the season or something. This would probably reduce the number of winners, but also be a good motivator for people to play a bit more games in total in that period.

If the mod client is still the hell it was when I was doing it, it’s like an 8-10 click process to give a single guy an avatar. Odds are you’re also going to be removing avatars every season so the work is also doubled.

@ftxcommando unless you make a script that does it database-level, instead of relying on any clunky UI that might be required to do it manually. You could also achieve automatic removal, though I'd maybe even go as far as propose to have a year-specific avatars, by simply adding a small number representing the last 2 digits of a year onto the existing avatar.
master_summer_23.png
grandmaster_summer_23.png
master_summer_23.png
grandmaster_summer_23.png

the Avatars can be given an expiry date

So as far as I get lots of people will receive Avatars, right? If u reach Gold I in ladder it means u wil 100% get an Avatar even if u r Diamond V by the end of the season?