Fix cybran T3 shielding

@blodir A related annoyance I have is that assisting shields isnt limited by eco meaning at high BP assistance levels you end up restoring much more shield health per mass than it costs (thus incentivising massive assistance further).

@jip said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

@blodir said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

Only tangentially related and idk if I'm the only one who thinks this, but shield assisting with 10 hives is lame af. Building a good simcity with lots of t3 shields should be more efficient than putting ur mavor under 1 shield assisted by 10 hives

At the moment overspill works such that:

• shield that is hit takes full damage
  • on top of that, surrounding shields take a bit of that damage too

But we can change it to:

• shield that takes full damage disperses it over neighboring shields, depending on distance to that shield

That way it is better to have a lot of shields than having 1 shield being assisted. It would also add a lot of value to the lower tier cybran shields: they collapse sooner due to the dispersion damage and can recover quickly to support the higher tech shields again

And while we're at it, the engis/hives shouldn't stop assisting once the shield is at full hp. It just forces u to stare at ur hives for the rest of the game in an arty/sat war

Engine behavior I'm afraid

Sounds good imo, though requires some testing/experimentation. Shield overspill was added in FAF iirc, so I assume that it was added for a reason. I seem to recall it being added mostly about bulwark stacking making navy unkillable, but could be wrong. Mby bulwark stacking could be nerfed some other way...

@blodir said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

Shield overspill was added in FAF iirc, so I assume that it was added for a reason.

stacking shields in general is op without overspill, you take out one shield and another full hp one is behind it (and another one after that, and another after, and...), in steam FA bases can become basically unkillable other than with nukes or air crash

@jip would be cool way to make arties less effective but that would be a fat buff to firebases and bulwarks

profile picture credits to petric

Don’t forget parashield and asylum stacking god bless

@waffelznoob said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

@jip would be cool way to make arties less effective but that would be a fat buff to firebases and bulwarks

You could make it work only for artillery. Wouldn't be unique - the xbox game even ships a UEF Artillery shield. All of the logic is all in the source code already, just unused

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Overspill only working for arty would still be ridiculous buffs to mobile shields, to the point Cybran is probably completely irrelevant as a faction.

Its actually insane that there was no downside to nesting shields into shields in base FAF, that sounds like an unplayable game

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@jip said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

You could make it work only for artillery. Wouldn't be unique - the xbox game even ships a UEF Artillery shield. All of the logic is all in the source code already, just unused

Petition to bring all Xbox units and structure into FAF.
😁

An another hand, the overspill damage rework for only base shields, sounds like a great change.

Would this be only made available to Cybran to "Fix" their shields? Or to all factions?

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It would be common to all (structure-based) shields - or we shouldn't do it. Otherwise the game becomes more difficult to understand.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@comradestryker said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

Petition to bring all Xbox units and structure into FAF.

Many people are saying this

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@zeldafanboy said in Fix cybran T3 shielding:

Its actually insane that there was no downside to nesting shields into shields in base FAF, that sounds like an unplayable game

You don't need to go as far as base game, go back a few years in FAF and a double/triple stack of UEF T2 shields would not even break to a GC taking a walk into them.