Nukes should explode in the air

If the nuke damage is spherical the player would sacrifice some nuke damage area by detonating the nuke early, i.e., in the air, perhaps to catch a unit that moved.

@stlng said in Nukes should explode in the air:

If the nuke damage is spherical the player would sacrifice some nuke damage area by detonating the nuke early, i.e., in the air, perhaps to catch a unit that moved.

Can just give it a larger AOE

Make the nuke a selectable unit with a Detonate ability, allow it to be detonated at any point in its path.

@snagglefox said in Nukes should explode in the air:

Make the nuke a selectable unit with a Detonate ability, allow it to be detonated at any point in its path.

This might be open to some abuse - spot a SMD that will shoot you down? blow up early over some other structures / army to get at least some damage in.

Instead you could have a toggle on the launcher so the nuke missile explodes on proximity, to either land as it descends to get the maximum airburst size, or to experimentals and this would be a way to try and take down satellites. You would need to make the sat itself the expensive part instead of the novax centre itself to make this a good trade mass-wise.

@snagglefox
I really like this idea. Anything that adds a new dynamic to a strategy game is a win.

@desertwolf216 Then any time you have two nukes you are able to kill any smd by launching both at the same time, letting the smd shoot down one, then right before the smd missile hits the second nuke you blow it up. That'll be entirely too easy to abuse.

I think there would be plenty of micro abuses, would make for fun games though.

Shoot down an incoming Nike with your own by targeting the nuke launcher then when your nuke is close ctr k.

If we can seamlessly implement an airburst launch I think it will make great fun and help with t3 air losses

Anyone up to mod this idea?

“fun games” more like designated nuke player in any game over 4v4

Yeah just build a ton of nuke Launchers, you don't need smds lol

Lost t3 air, just nuke the area when asf are shooting it out and air Burst l, your player can probably keep the other asf in the area long enough.

I think it would be a fun mod no make the middle selectable and Ctrl k able

@exselsior build a second SMD? Or make them un-selectable once they pass over their damage range ring or in the last few seconds of flight.