Presently, only stationary Tactical Missile Launchers (TMLs) have an economic drain (8 mass, 250 Energy).. What if all Tactical Missile platforms also had a cost while firing? I think this would add a bit of realism, spam dis-interest, and strategic value. Especially, it would encourage more barrages of missles, and not mean loosing navy = free missle bombardment.
Considering the UEF for example, (assuming NO STALLING, NO ASSISTANCE)
T2 TML "Aloha" - 800 mass, 4k energy to build, deals 6000 (300 dps) damage, range of 15-256
Other UEF tactical missile platforms are:
T2 MML "Flapjack" - 200 mass, 1.5k energy, deals (60 dps) 300 damage, range of 5-60
T2 Cruiser "Governor" - 2000 mass, 18k energy, deals (120 dps) 1200 damage, range of 13-150
T3 SMS "Ace" - 9000 mass, 80k energy, deals (200 dps) 2000 damage, range of 15-256
Using the TML as a basis, suppose the other platforms had lower production cost and an economic drain WHILE FIRING. For instance,
T2 MML "Flapjack" - 100 mass, 1.5k energy, deals (60 dps) 300 damage, range of 5-60, drains 0.25 mass, 90 energy while firing
T2 Cruiser "Governor" - 1500 mass, 12k energy, deals (120 dps) 1200 damage, range of 13-150, drains 2.5 mass, 300 energy while firing TM
T3 SMS "Ace" - 7500 mass, 60k energy, deals (200 dps) 2000 damage, range of 15-256, drains 3.5 mass, 750 energy while firing TM
I was in Discord with an long time player who was talking about a number of changes and on his suggestion, just posting this here to see if there's interest.
- I don't know if the engine can handle this,
- Hold Fire could be used to prevent wasting missiles on TMD
- Some races could have more efficient missiles (seems Nomads would, Seraphim cost more Energy, less mass)
- In many cases not much of a production discount makes sense as the unit serves other roles
- This would strengthen the value of lobbed projectile and energy weapons with less of a cost
- Engineers could assist or perhaps not, I don't know.