On the upcoming removal of a map uploaders power to 'unrank' a map

Barring any compelling arguments to the contrary, in order to ensure players continued ability to play maps that are still considered to be 'balanced' in ranked play, in an upcoming update to the API, map uploaders will no longer have the power to 'unrank' a map after the initial choice to rank or not-rank the map on upload.

Maps can still be uploaded as either ranked or unranked.

Maps can still be unranked on request for any reason that would make it unfit for ranked play, such as balance, functionality, or exploitation reasons.

Maps will still, by default, auto update if a new version is available regardless of the ranked state of the old map, and authors can still hide maps they uploaded at will.

This change will ensure that players continue to have the option to play any map in ranked providing they still have access to it and that said map is still considered balanced and functional going forwards.

Is that an GAP hype with off rating or what? xd

DONT BELIVE BH HE IS LIEING

By extension beyond just Balth (modder) this was a decision made and agreed upon by the entire creative team. Myself (Modder), Madmax (Mapper), Jip (Mapper) and Sheikah (….a Sheikah?). We believe a player should have write to play any map they desire as long as both teams/participants involved have an equal chance of victory. And the act of uploading a newer map will not in that regard invalidate the prior statement as being true.

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

Originally map ranking was used to signify whether a map was balanced or not. The ability for authors to unrank their map was given to be a way for authors to unrank a map if it was later found to be unbalanced due to bad terrain or bugs.

@espiranto said in On the upcoming removal of a map uploaders power to 'unrank' a map:

Is that an GAP hype with off rating or what? xd

That discussion did inspire this discussion: before this change the author of a map was able to leverage the rating system to force players to play on a specific version of a map. That was never the intent of said functionality and in my opinion it conflicts with the longevity of the project as a whole.

A more proper word usage would be to consider a map balanced or unbalanced, as Balthazar states. That is something the author can fill in when he uploads said map: at that point he / she considers it balanced or not. That map remains balanced until it is (objectively) proven that it is not balanced. At that point the vault team can unbalance (unrank) it accordingly.

To re-iterate what Balthazar said: you are still free to hide your map.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

pretty much what jip said the system has been abused one too many times now, authors still have control over their work just no more post upload leveraging will available, there will be an appeal process for legitimate reasons.

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

If the ability to rank and unrank is removed and is replaced by the ability to contact vault moderators with suitable requests and response times, I'm fine with this change.

how about we just implement a new system?
make all the (new) maps unranked and in order to rank them up,you can make an appeal.
that would prevent the upload of broken/cheaty maps/unbalanced maps and we get some quality control as well,the existing m&m ruleset is decent so you can get a good point of what's supposed to be in the vault and what's not.

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

@rezy-noob said in On the upcoming removal of a map uploaders power to 'unrank' a map:

how about we just implement a new system?
make all the (new) maps unranked and in order to rank them up,you can make an appeal.
that would prevent the upload of broken/cheaty maps/unbalanced maps and we get some quality control as well,the existing m&m ruleset is decent so you can get a good point of what's supposed to be in the vault and what's not.

Unfortunately this would require a lot of admin time and man power to ensure all maps are ranked. So it is better to trust the authors know what balanced means and then act accordingly if there is a habit of uploading unbalanced or cheat maps and saying they are balanced.

Yeah that sounds like way too much administrative overhead.

rezy-noob said in On the upcoming removal of a map uploaders power to 'unrank' a map:

A whitelist comes up more or less every month here, but noone here seems to realise that at best you now have a single maybe two people who actually bother to put the effort in to hide maps.

having to create an appeal and thus have your maps wait until it is processed could take your maps mutiple months to become rated.

What will you do when you think "you're not like those astro mappers" and yet your map is sitting in the pile buried underneath them? Cry to my former team? ask for special treatment? OR maybe you think that the people in the team should just do the admin faster? Sorry buddy but "they work for free." And I don't see anyone else signing up.

Maybe get off the forum and stop making up fantasies that are impossible to achieve -
like you're in the association subforum lmao

Agreed with Biass, If I had to appeal every single one of my maps I wanted to be ranked I probably wouldn't have stuck around, or at least not for this long. Plus MadMax would hate me even more

Agreed - both from a mapper perspective and an administrative perspective: it is undoable. Let alone that we create an unfriendly environment where as a novice mapper your work will essentially never get played or considered simply because it is not rated.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned