Legend of The Stars 2021 Championship Tournament

Legend Of The Stars 2021 Championship

LOTS Player Collage.png

Introduction

This year we are anticipating to the have the biggest and most competitive event to date. As the event entries now rely upon the annual point system (see Helpful Links below) the details of players, substitutions, Group stage will be revealed at a later date. For now, expect FAF Live coverage, a handsome prize pool, the best players in the community competing, and plenty of eye candy artwork!

Challonge

IRC: LotS21

Current Prize Pool $1450

The donors thus far:

1. FAF - $1000
  2. LegendOfTheStars - $350
  3. Roboute01 - $100

Prizes

Prizes for the event are pending total donations, but expect a large portion to be given to 1st-4th place. A unique avatar for 1st-3rd will also be given out.

• Champion: $445 + 1st Place Avatar alt text

• Second Place: $325 + 2nd Place Avatar alt text

• Third Place: $215 + 3rd Place Avatar Unique 3rd Place Avatar

• Fourth Place: $145 + 4th Place Avatar alt text

• Fifth through Eighth Place: $80

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE: Please contact myself, Brutus5000, or post in this thread directly.

------------------- Rules ------------

For all phases of the event the Tournament Code of Conduct will apply.

Special rules will apply to the following:

Groups Stage

1. All matches that involve the RNG map generator are to be "TOURNEY" settings. Both players may use ONE roll each if the map that is generated is deemed unfit. Example settings for the RNG.

2. Any ties that happen at the end of a group stage will be resolved as follows: 2-way tie results in a BO1; 3-way tie will get decided by opponent strength victories, and if necessary, a condensed mini round robin.

3. Standard map and faction veto system applies.

-------- Tournament Details ---------

December 11th: 15 UTC: Group Stage, all 16 players participate in a standard, 4 Group Format

alt text

Day 1 of the event will be the lengthiest, involving a full, Group Stage round-robin format. Groups have been determined via a snake draft system by placement of total points acquired throughout the year for the 1st thru 12th seed, and 13th thru 16th by placement in the Qualifier event.

Each group will receive its own 15 map pool, follow the same map veto process (3 vetoes per player) to reduce to 9 maps, with faction vetoes. The top 2-performing players in each group will advance to the final stage, playoffs RO8 which will take place a week later.

SPECIAL RULES FOR THE GROUP STAGE

December 18th: 15 UTC Playoffs, RO8 BO5 and Semi-Finals BO5

wallpaper.png

And so our final 8 appear!

The second day of the event will consist of the initial RO8 with 4 BO5 matchups taking place simultaneously in a single-elimination format. The victors of these matches will move on to the semi-finals, a RO4 set of 2 BO5s to determine the top 4 places, giving way to the Bronze and Champion matchups.

Map Pool for the Finals:

5x5

Desert Arena (Blackheart)
crazyrush (Petric)

7.5x7.5

Map Gen (Tournament Settings)

10x10

Daroza's Sanctuary (Tagada)
Arcane (Nexus)
Open Palms (JaggedAppliance)
Frithen (Tex)
Amoor

15x15

20x20

Bermuda Locket (TURBO2)
Point of Reach v4
Krakens Nest (Yudi)
Ronoake Abyss

Special Rules for the BO5s (RO8 and Semis):

1. Anti-Cheat Mechanism: RezyNoob will be hosting a channel setup in the main FAF Discord where players must share their screen while playing. This is to ensure that no one is using any sort of advantageous material whatsoever.

2. Map Veto: Players will receive an additional veto (standard is 3) each, totaling 8 vetoes, bringing the map pool from 15 down to 7 maps. For the vetoes, the low seed will go first, then the high seed; for map picks, the high seed chooses first, then the low seed, and alternates.

3. Faction Veto will be used as is in other events

4. Ties will result in playing the same map with the same factions.

December 19th: 15 UTC Finale, Bronze & Champion Match BO7

The final day of the Official Tournament will have 4 players left. These 4 players will be playing a single BO5 (Bronze match) and BO7 (Championship) each to decide placements.

The same map pool will be used as was for the RO8 and Semifinals.

For the Bronze Match: Each player will get 4 vetoes.
For the Championship Match: Each player will get 3 vetoes.

Faction veto will be used.

Ties will result in playing the same map with the same factions.

Substitutions

Should a player be unable to play the event a substitution will be made. This will come to the next-highest point accumulation. Based on the point tracker, the 6 in line subs are as follows:

1. Blast_Chilled
  2. Reactive_
  3. Blodir
  4. Farmsletje
  5. Shen
  6. Raider-

Poster Samples

[ link to all the posters on imgur ]:

alt text

alt text

alt text

And a News Hub Side Banner Poster:

alt text

More Details to Follow Soon(tm)!

Helpful Links:

League Leaderboards:
https://www.faforever.com/competitive/leaderboards/leagues

League Months:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/332/faf-league-month-system

Nexus Series Thread:
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/1246/faf-league-invitational-series

Got inspired to try a bit more minimalistic poster too:

https://i.imgur.com/wqPqPfv.jpeg

f6dc2f9a-3e58-469b-94ee-9aa386713f17-image.png

I would appreciate some feedback on this design I'm currently working on, specially on the center text/piece

@morax I like the news hub side banner. I think the UEF commander might need to be a little higher to match the Seraphim one. Maybe in front of the logo though.

@Giebmasse Simple, not too much going on which I like. I wonder if the information could even be below the commander.

@Femboy I like this one the best but the perspective on the commanders needs a bit of a look.
Cybran looks a little small and probably shouldn't be on top of UEF but slightly moved over, Seraphim looks like it is in front of Cybran when AEON is behind UEF - doesn't make sense.

Former Board Member - March 2021 - March 2022

This post is deleted!

I think I’m going to ask to see a separate thread for artwork-related .

Please keep this post for questions about the actual logistics and funding going forward, please.

This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!

Updated to show Group Stage (used a snake draft) and provide details.

I will be adding the Group Map Pools over the next week.

Wait hold on, I thought the point was for the snake draft to involve each respective person picking the next person in their group?

Also why round robin when it is guaranteed to result in at least some dead games across 4 groups rather than double elim format with no worthless games?

@ftxcommando said in LegendoftheStars 2021 Championship Tournament:

Wait hold on, I thought the point was for the snake draft to involve each respective person picking the next person in their group?

Also why round robin when it is guaranteed to result in at least some dead games across 4 groups rather than double elim format with no worthless games?

Ah, yeah it's not really a round robin in the Group stage.

For the snake draft, just an automated one based on seeding rather choosing. Call it an "autodraft" or whatever.

LotS points are softly correlated with skill, it is a measure of both skill and activity with arbitrary weights attached to it. The point of letting people manually draft is that ultimately player skill is going to be determined by how their peers decide to stand them up against the rest.

I don't agree with round robin being useless for group stage especially when using a snake draft as it may lead to groups with all 4 players being able to compete for top 2 spots (look group D). I think that in case of the LoTS it makes sense to have it, as for other tourneys - usually no.