Fire beetle balance suggestion

@Pearl12
So... turn them into land-based mercies?

Well yes, it would be a different take on the unit then what it was before, worth a shot.
Tho i will say it will have to leave reclaim behind once it fires a single projectile.

Analyze, Adapt, Overcome...

I think it would be cool to see them "jump" at their targets. I'm not sure how they would leave a husk behind when they do this. Nor am I going to animate it. But it would be cool.

That "jump" idea sounds even better now.

Beetles were fine as they were then the balance team gave up to a few loud voices of irritated blind people that don't understand what a minimap is and what a radar is.

Ever since then its been an eternal question of how to not make the beetle a useless pile of garbage.

Previously a beetle snipe set you back 4k mass in the early-mid game (ALOT) for a potential com kill that relies on enemy blindness to work (A single Flacks fucks them).

That's right boys, you can counter a well prepared beetlesnipe and be retard blind by putting a 200mass unit on assist to your acu.

OOF

People also get frustrated when they die to mercy or nuke rushes. Its just neither of those are restricted to "Cybran" so they get let off.

Also people stating they can be used as "eco damage" drops. Build a Notha, its 'cheaper' and more reliable and can fire multiple times.

I've never seen a more wrong opinion about beetles.

A beetle snipe didn't set you back 4k mass when you could load up 4 onto a T1 transport and kill a full HP ACU 5 minutes into the game. You're not getting flak this early unless you're paranoid and immediately rushing T2 or keeping your ACU in your base the whole game. Flak doesn't work 100% of the time either. Mercies are a bit different in that people don't counter them properly, the best counter to mercies is scouting and suiciding in a handful of inties to kill the whole lot in 1 pass before they leave the base. Unlike a tanky transport, there's no defending that.

Unlike nothas, beetle drops can be stealthed and you can drop engies with them to steal the mass. I used to steal T2 and T3 mexes that way, of course it's much harder now with halved reclaim speed. It's also more cost-efficient than nothas assuming old beetle damage and much harder to stop once they land. Just like arty drops really.

I will still stick with my idea to make beetles jump or fire a single projectile on to target that does AOE dmg, so it would be like a mercy but for land.

@tatsu A video on linux installation?

Did you get the wrong video or the wrong thread?

it's called a signature

Perhaps it could be made viable by giving it a normal attack? Like a flamethrower or some shit. Move the kamikaze to a special ability button like that useless Aeon engi 'sacrifice' ability. Now you can incorporate them into a unit composition in a way where they can consistently contribute, and still have an extra special ability. Maybe make the suicide ability auto trip when they get low on HP, so as they get wounded they charge in the enemy and detonate. Add in the AOE DOT that MazorNoob said. I mean, they are a 'fire' beetle, why not have them set the ground on fire? Then they could even be detonated to cover a retreat.

I was actually tossing around a kamikaze idea to put on t1 labs. I desperately want them to be useful.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

The DoT idea and the name of the unit gave me an idea. I present to you the real firebeetle: https://imgur.com/a/rdL7f9q

if that's relatively low dps then heck yeah

Nice concept! Now that's a Fire Beetle!

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but I think this makes sense.

The problem with firebeetles as an eco drop attack unit (which i think is their primary intended role) is that T1 arty is just better.

One way to fix them might be to give them "eco attack" modes. You click one mode and they're set to target mexes, you click another and they're set to target power. When dropped, if they're near mexes or power they attack those structures automatically - no player input required - targeting the highest tier structures first.

With T1 arty you can just drop. You don't even have to watch the drop happen, its fire and forget, your T1 arty will start attacking things the moment they land. You can look back at the drop zone a few seconds after the drop happens and see how you're dong, but its not really mandatory. This doesn't happen with firebeetles. You have to micro them and they're expensive and they're often dropped into places where they will be attacked.. You have to split the say 8 beetles you dropped into groups of 3, and separately send them at mexes, or you have to clumsily just send all of them to each mex in sequence. This gives the enemy more time to respond.

You can get around this by queuing up attack orders before you load them into the transport, but I've tried this, and what happens is that the beetles get stuck on one another and you wind up with a traffic jam for several seconds. You're better off just microing it after the drop.

Anyway, I'm seeing lots of good interesting suggestions, but I feel like if you can make drops with firebeetles less clumsey to use, that might just be enough to make them worth using - and I really like the idea of firebeetles having synergy with transports and decievers. If they were useful as drop units - at least on par with say Zthuee drops I'd be using them all the time.

@BlackYps said in Fire beetle balance suggestion:

The DoT idea and the name of the unit gave me an idea. I present to you the real firebeetle: https://imgur.com/a/rdL7f9q

I like it, should make them more damaging to structures since structures can't move out of the way so it buffs them as drop units as well.

Certainly the Firebeetle may have not seen as much success as the ever so prevelent Units as the Mercy or the Corsair but it might be due to be being stuck on Land for the most Part and the Cybran transports absolutely not being the Best for huge Drops (given Seraphim transports have more slots and can still drop T1 Arty with good payoffs if the transports can fly through gaps in AA) there certainly could be place for the Fire Beetle..
if it were only that tad more durable and faster since even with a successful drop of a good amount of Fire Beetles they are quickly dispatched due to not being as blazingly fast as an Mercy and having to fight Land Fortifications like other Tanks, the ACU and maybe PD

on the Flipside they are about as cheap as some TML butreally arent worth their "wasted" Mass in Tanks

https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Terror_drone_(Red_Alert_2)

they remind me of these little guys for some reason haha

@BlackYps Did you change the lua to do that or is it just a graphical effect? If it's lua, maybe I'll try and pack it up into a mod to show some viability to the idea.

I didn't have to do some complicated lua coding, but I changed some blueprints. Not sure what you mean with graphical effect.
You can have a look here: https://github.com/BlackYps/Napalm-Beetle

It's a complete mod already? Please please please upload it to the vault so I can bug everyone to enable it for their games!