Why does everything suck so much right now?

Research the 20 players that quit because of the stubbornness and harassment we have received for speaking out. Also maudlin more cursing you going to get rid of it????

@thewreck why don't you and FTX and the rest of your group quit as well.... Join the 20 others will you! My guess is FAF will flourish without you all.

Yeah that’s all I’ve done for FAF. For a guy spending years reading my posts you sure don’t know much about me. I can’t take you seriously when you say all I do is tear things down. Even in my current level of practical inactivity I still try to tinker with balance ideas because I find it fun.

Call me an asshole as you like, but denying me my contributions to FAF is pure ideology.

We have been and sure maybe it will but why bother risking it. The simplest solution is to stop deliberately inflamming players who disagree with you.

alright mods lock the thread

Story time! And yes, I do tie this back to the thread.

To the surprise of no one, I'm a huge nerd and also the kind of nerd who has been into building computers since I was a kid. Around the lovely age of 13 I built my first rig that was capable of playing games, but to back up a little, my family wasn't well off. I knew I wanted to do this for a long time, so for almost 2 years leading up to that I did whatever odd jobs I could do as a kid to save money. Mowing lawns, dog sitting, whatever, until I could afford the parts myself. My dad then took me to GameStop, and the first thing I saw was the Forged Alliance gold pack that had very recently come out. It had a giant robot on the cover and was a strategy game. Sounded perfect. It was the only game I could afford, and the only game I played for a while on PC. This was late 2007.

I have quite literally been playing FA for longer than some people here have been alive.

I'm not the only person here who has played this game a long, long time. Of course people like me are somewhat resistant to change. Change needs to be damn well justified, because I love the game exactly how it is, perceived warts and all. Some things are no brainers. Performance updates have been amazing, they have no downsides and really do help keep the game alive. Seriously, thank you @jip for all the work there. Overall balance changes have been solid, the balance we have now might just be the best balance the game has ever had.

Other things like advanced target priorities, spread move, spread build, etc are great additions because they do nothing but add to the base game in a positive way. They add strategic depth, which is perfect for a game like FAF.

I'm not going into more depth here since this has been covered to death, but area reclaim doesn't add to strategic depth, it takes away. It makes all forms of reclaim other than factory attack move redundant and pointless most of the time. Good players no longer have to think "hey is it worth spending my apm on manual reclaim right now or is attack move good enough". With area reclaim, the answer is almost always area reclaim or factory attack move. It also does nothing for lower rated players, because for them the answer to that question already virtually always is it's not worth it and they should attack move.

Much like the rename debacle, I do not think communication here has been well handled. On both sides. Valid criticisms of area reclaim have gone essentially ignored.

All that said, out of the things I mentioned in my original post area reclaim was at the bottom of what I cared about. If anything the associated nerf to rock reclaim speed is worse than area reclaim in my mind, but I could be wrong there as I have so far done little more than watch the replay from Tagada. I have, at least, done that though.

Back to my first paragraph. I want FAF to stay successful. I also want FA Forever to embody the Forever part. This means changes that actually impact how the game is played need to clear a very high bar before they're implement. In some cases that bar is trivial to clear. In other cases not so much.

The idea that people should move on from FAF because it's a 20 year old dead game and there's no merit there is a depressing clown take that spits in the face of tons of great open source projects, not just FAF. Even if I don't agree with everything devs/mods/whoever does, I'm glad they try to help the game and put their free time in. Call me naive or whatever the hell you want, but I do think most here have the best intentions for the game regardless of if I agree with their vision.

Communication is hard, and I think we've had some of the worst communication breakdowns I've seen in the past few months on FAF. Hopefully I've added a bit of explanation for the views of people who might be more conservative with applying changes.

Oh, one last thing. Exactly zero people who are current high level players will have any issues still being top players unless the entire game is fundamentally reworked, and even then many of them would become top players quickly if they put the time in. Top players aren't top players due to some magic tricks or meta abuse, they're top players because they have great fundamentals. The idea that top players are against this because they'd have to relearn something and might lose their rating is comically wrong and misplaced.

No your just toxic!

@thewreck sign out and never sign back in!

Yea you lost it dude. You're throwing a complete tantrum and yelling at players telling them to quit.

@thewreck I'm not having a tantrum just sick and tired of you and your little group. You're going to try and twist my words because that's all you guys do. You've been doing it for years. I'm not the only one who's tired of you guys.

I'm not twisting your words that was a perfect description of what you said. You went on a curse filled rant about how my group which are all good nice people that have played for over ten years should quit the game. The irony in you calling us toxic is just plain hilarious and sad. Idc about what you think of us because this was never about you.

And I stand by everything I said. You guys should all sign out and never sign back in again. You would be doing the 99% a huge favor. I guess it's a matter of perspective but in my mind cleaning out the trash isn't toxic. It might be from your perspective but from the cleaners perspective it's the exact opposite of toxicity.

Great take that's all I have to say to crap like that.

@thewreck You're still here?.... Why?

Why haven't your post been taken down yet?

Last wish, ban those 2.

What did I do

Before the moderation gets flamed again for abuse of power I will close this thread as a neutral person here.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice