AI Suddenly Sucks?

Did some patch in the last few weeks completely neuter the AI? Or is it just me?

Friend and I have been challenging each other to fight more and more ai at once. Used to be they put up a good fight at 2v10 they were absolutely swarming us with units, though their comp was sometimes iffy. Then at some point in the last few weeks they completely lost it and have been nothing like they used to. Tried with both regular adaptive and AIUveso. They mostly sit in their base maybe sending out a little trickle of guys and eventually start building experimentals much later, but they totally pale in comparison to what they used to be.

We tested out some mods and survival maps during that time period but have gone back to regular play with all mods disabled and the problem persists. Could I have changed some mystery setting that's messing with things, or are other people experiencing similar issues?

Do you have a replay for us (before / after)?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

After review it seems that the difference was whether Nomads were turned on and perhaps whether starting buildings were enabled. The AI seemed more aggressive and proactive with them on. But it may also have been that after turning them off we were also just building up and ending faster on on our part. Could be fooling myself.

Have you tried M27 or M28?

@reckless_charger
I just tried M28, but unfortunately it's neither challenging nor fun to play against. It just annoys the player with kiting arty and missiles rather than sending actual attack waves. I suppose it's better at picking apart defensive play, but like the rest it seems incapable of defending its commander and has no answer for experimentals.

Well if M27 is too easy either turn up the AIx cheat multiplier or play humans.

Plenty of other AIs in the vault, give them a try.

I'd also like to mention that M28 is being actively developed by @maudlin27, so I recommend leaving your feedback in the thread, possibly with a replay.

M27 is probably more capable as of now.

@sandwhale
There is an issue affecting the AI currently that may have been impacting the AI in your games. I noticed the issue is affecting both the default AI and Uveso currently. Due to be sorted with a hotfix tomorrow.

But as Jip said, providing us a replay of issues will really help us identify whats going on. You can just post the replay ID or link that you can get from the faf client.

I would suggest some of the other AI's as well, though it seems like your after something that would send large armies against your defensive positions which not many of the newer AI will do. The Uveso Rush variant is probably the most fun for that play style.

@relentless
We fell into a defensive playstyle given that harassment just wasn't very viable when outnumbered 5 to 1. We've tried experimenting with AIx now and that seems to be the way to go given how many options it has for tuning. Thanks for the feedback.