Can't start a game

This error happens because you never started the game from steam and do not have directx 9 installed.

Starting the game from steam once should resolve the issue

I was referring to "Solutions for common errors number 6" on the forums. Listed here.
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/4256/solutions-for-common-errors-with-the-faf-client-launcher-or-supreme-commander
I have to head off to work in a few minutes, I'll try the FAF additional logger this afternoon, thanks magge!

Sheikah, I can't start SC:FA from Steam at all, I hit the play button and nothing happens. I will check up on directx. SC will run from Steam just fine, but not SC:FA.

Have you tried verifying your files via Steam > Library > right-click SCFA > Properties > Installed Files > Verify integrity of game files?

What does the windows event say when SC:FA doesn't start via steam? Any crash/error event related to that?

The windows event shows an error in the application log.

Faulting application name: SupremeCommander.exe, version: 1.5.0.1, time stamp: 0x4e5c092e
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1928, time stamp: 0x4028fadc
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0007bc3b
Faulting process id: 0x0x3B48
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9C06808EEC57B
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\bin\SupremeCommander.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 06cae674-4643-44d4-a4e4-6845bb89cda2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This additional logger in FAF. Where does it live? Does it have another name? I can't find it.

If you can't launch from steam you probably won't be able to launch from FAF. You need to figure out why that module isn't loading

Am I looking at an ntdll.dll corruption issue? Because the info I've found on how to fix that does not fill me with warm and fuzzy feelings.

The fastest approach would be to install Windows on a second disc, installing the newest updates and drivers via Windows update, then install only Steam, SC:FA and FAF, then try again.

Those 0xc0000005 errors can take days of testing and debugging without any result. I wish I had a better solution like "just left-click on this button", but I have never seen one in the last years in FAF, except new window installations.

Could be related to so many things, which are out of our scope and end up in random guesses.

OK, looks like I'll need to re-install windows then. Thanks for the help everybody.