TMM Queue Same Game Opposite Team

Hello,

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I am stealling wafflez' idea for an option where if you all queue together you'll be guaranteed on the same match but could end up on opposite sides of the team, so it doesn't take 70 minutes to find a match but you can still play in the same game together.

Thank you.

Thanks for crediting me
+respect

Why this option, rather than just setting up a global?

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

What s the point of having tmm then? Could literally just host a custom and end up having a human map with a good preset of players instead of just chilling in pahntom q with 20 players below 1k

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko

wtf does custom games have to do with anything I just said?

@snowy801 said in TMM Queue Same Game Opposite Team:

wtf does custom games have to do with anything I just said?

Custom games are an alternative to TMM.

If host chooses to, the host can pick a map like one you get in TMM with a similar number of players and the host can balance it in basically the same way as you're likely to get from TMM.

all queue together you'll be guaranteed on the same match but could end up on opposite sides of the team, so it doesn't take 70 minutes to find a match but you can still play in the same game together.

What you describe is just a custom game.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

It's not just a custom game because the rest of the slots can get filled with random tmm queuers.

Also it would allow two high rated players to find a balanced game when not enough other players are online to get a custom game going.

Would be yet more implementation work and I guess also a tool for the evils of rating/game manipulation, but idk of the latter really matters.

What's the harm in having it as an option? I.e. if you're in a group you can check a box to indicate if you want to end up on the same team, or just the same game (but potentially opposite teams). It benefits the group that is queueing since if they want a game sooner they can; it benefits everyone else queing since it reduces the average wait time for games to be formed and allows more balanced games.

The only scenario I can think where someone ends up worse off is if people abuse it to deliberately throw the game - the risk of that could possibly be reduced by adding a threshold where everyone in the group needs to have played x rated games in matchmaker before it becomes an option.

In the party queue area just have a select box that either has same game or same team selected. Easy and does not effect anyone.

Besides the obvious work in implementing it, there is something to be said about complicating the queue process too much.

There are already 9 different toggles to consider when queuing, which is probably about 8 too many from a UX designers perspective.

The cost of adding another potentially confusing toggle (which other game has something like that?) is real, but it's imo worth paying.