Change TMM colors to be more legible

Currently colors are all blue-ish for one team and all red-ish for the other team.

While this color coordination makes it look cool in replays, it makes it really hard to distinguish between your's and your teammate's while playing.
And of course for the (partial-)colorblind among us it's even worse.

I don't have a strong preference about what the default colors should be exactly, probably something accessibility friendly that still looks nice, just as long as it's not blue, light-blue and dark-blue on the same team anymore.

I'm not colorblind but I seem to have trouble with light red and dark red when they're placed side by side in a match
Same with dark blue and light blue. So, yeah, that would be preferable.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You can change the colors of everyone to whatever you want by right clicking this:

8327befc-f5af-474b-bbd6-e8e95345bd09-image.png

Which opens:

968fdfa6-03ea-4b53-8707-a91803616bfb-image.png

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Oh wow, that is high up there on the "useful features not many people seem to know about" list. (Also TIL you can right click buttons in FAF, resulting in different behavior sometimes.)

I'd argue we still want to change the default colors to be more distinguishable as imo it'd just generally improve the default experience.
Changing player colors only on your end also has the downside of making communication slightly harder as e.g. "lets attack red together" doesn't make much sense anymore if everyone sees "red" as a different player.

Still though, knowing about that color menu makes TMM a lot more enjoyable 😄

I disagree with the notion that the current colors TMM are bad. Reds+warm colors are team 1, blues and cold colors are team 2. It's pretty clear that way. Distinguishing between the individual player colors might be harder, but it's also a lot less important than distinguishing between their team allegiance.

I'd argue we still want to change the default colors to be more distinguishable as imo it'd just generally improve the default experience.
Changing player colors only on your end also has the downside of making communication slightly harder as e.g. "lets attack red together" doesn't make much sense anymore if everyone sees "red" as a different player.

This was discussed and also my reason to reject it. But the entire idea of the change in question was to add support for color blindness. And once you do that the colors change regardless. So here we are 🙂

I also disagree with changing the TMM colors by default - as it is a never-ending slippery slope: the next color set may work for you, but not for someone else. And then the cycle repeats.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@xayo said in Change TMM colors to be more legible:

Distinguishing between the individual player colors might be harder, but it's also a lot less important than distinguishing between their team allegiance.

I disagree: Even w/o colors team allegiance would be pretty easy to tell at a glance from where units are, how they behave and from the fact that they don't provide vision.

Distinguishing between allied units is harder because all of those differences don't apply anymore, but still crucial because you can only give orders to some of them.

For me, the current color scheme fails especially when multiple armies meet at the same spot, as it's really hard to distinguish between a bunch off tanks in slightly different shades of blue, when you need to make quick decisions about how to micro them.

@jip said in Change TMM colors to be more legible:

I also disagree with changing the TMM colors by default - as it is a never-ending slippery slope: the next color set may work for you, but not for someone else. And then the cycle repeats.

Now that I know the local color change feature exists, I'll first see if it solves the legibility problem for me and the other people I've talked to.

If it doesn't, some research into color theory/Ui design on my part may be needed to find a 'better' tmm color scheme.

There was already a huge (by these forum's standards) debate on this whole issue, so please do your research and then post if you actually have something to add.

@deletethis said in Change TMM colors to be more legible:

There was already a huge (by these forum's standards) debate on this whole issue, so please do your research and then post if you actually have something to add.

I'm aware of both topics and they are about adding/changing/removing colors for selection in custom game lobbies, not directly about the adjustment of the tmm default color scheme.

While certainly related and valuable discussions in their own right, they differ from this topic in a significant way:
In a custom lobby you can choose whatever color distinguishes you from your allies/enemies the best. This is not possible in TMM.

But again, I'll first check if the local color change mode fixes the problem for me before making any more suggestions.

This post is deleted!

856e78a7-1682-4f96-8103-5b34e196ba32-image.png
My attempt at trying to remove the most confusing colour combinations while maintaining a 'team theme'

There was also relevant discussion here. FWIW, here was my suggestion for the color order:
701b0038-4b67-46e1-8a29-ac331297c45b-image.png

pfp credit to gieb

And no one can't do a normal color schema comparison by order =(

@penguin_ I miss all these good colours

"Good luck and a safe landing commanders!"

Images from a few games I've had recently... both showcase two different players.

4c1d9bbe-2e0b-41f4-a1e9-f16d4fe8eab3-image.png

909f2cb5-85ba-483a-97cc-8e1000336a45-image.png

As you can see, it is quite difficult to see who owns which unit or structure, at a glance

I can only imagine it being worse if you are of a similar color as your opponent.

On another note, I once had a game in which this happened, but not to me.
I thought it was my teammate's units yet they weren't.
I know... a skill issue on my part.

~ Stryker

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)