Can we fix harbingers?

SACUS for example don't have that problem, mb there is a solution

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Yes, please! Nothing more frustrating than playing random, getting aeon, and then forgetting to never attack-move your armies once you hit t3. I've lost some games in the past when my harbs started reclaiming random stuff in the backline of a hectic battle while their support units get massacred just in front of them.

The suggested solution of them behaving like SACUs would be perfect.

You guys just don't understand Aeon. It's not about killing the enemy commander. The Princess can only be appeased by stealing trees.

TREES FOR THE TREE GOD!

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

Tried looking into this, see also: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/pull/4218

It appears there are two solutions that are viable:

• (1) We remove the ability
  • (2) A magical engine patch that manages to isolate harbingers somehow to let them move like support command units

If you bet for option (2) then chances are it remains like this forever (pun intended). Option (1) can be done right away with the next balance patch. I highly encourage option (1) for the sake of consistency - it is a nice idea, but if it doesn't work then you've got to adapt.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip My main is Aeon and I vote to remove it. We can come up with a proper fix later, if ever.

@Jip is there a reason why it works with sacus but doesn't with harbingers?

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Yes, see the PR. It is the category.

@jip Wtf ? there is absolutely no sense to remove the cools features from Aeon units like this one.

If a feature breaks what a player expects then it isn't a feature - then it is broken.

@jip Removing one of the coolest thing of the Aeon just for the ai, I don't understand the point it makes no sense to me

This isn't about an AI, it is about unit behavior.

@Jip So if it is about units behavior it is even crazier like Aeon is the micro faction like u have to baby sit all your units (aurora, harbs, snipers, shields ans aa), i would just say skill issues if u wanna remove this for that reason

You can't answer 'skill issue' to 'inconsistent game design', it is not one of the options. Units need to behave as you expect them to. If they don't, then you need to fix that. One solution is removing the ability.

@jip Removing feature of a game??? Like it makes no sense to remove a thing which works as intended for skill issues problem like u attack move to reclaim and move order to fight, your point makes no sense

This man apparently never attack moves his army

@blackyps U know how to read I just wrote u attack move to reclaim with harbs

@jip Also a third option - increase the build rate of harbs so having them reclaiming is more likely to be useful (and less of an issue/delay when done by accident)

@arma473 said in Can we fix harbingers?:

Could we add a toggle button with two states:
on: "while this unit is on patrol/attack move, it will consider reclaim/assist/repair"
off: "while this unit is on patrol/attack move, it will not reclaim/assist/repair"

Is something like this not possible? @Jip
like the reclaim ability / buildpower being toggleable like salems amphibious?

What if we give them the ability to build T1 engies instead?

@Jip off the top of your head, do you think this could be solved by giving them a toggle button for their engineering capabilities? Like how movement for the Salem was solved.

Perhaps a little depth could be added by having the toggle just be the shields. They can't engineer while shields are up, but maybe boost them to 10 build power, just under t2.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!