The new colossus is a beast

In my tests, it kills 25 marching percivals and has 20% HP left after. Was this tested before release?

@melanol let’s gooooo alien power

FAF Website Developer

Also, it occasionally lasers a beamed unit, with no damage. And was there really no way to kill beamed units on collision with the arm instead of the ground? Looks silly.

@melanol said in The new colossus is a beast:

Also, it occasionally lasers a beamed unit, with no damage. And was there really no way to kill beamed units on collision with the arm instead of the ground? Looks silly.

Some units have death animations - I had to find a way to let those run before they'd turn into a wreck. Hence, they get destroyed when colliding with the ground. Personally I really enjoyed the physics part of it all.

@melanol said in The new colossus is a beast:

In my tests, it kills 25 marching percivals and has 20% HP left after. Was this tested before release?

Yep, it is a lot stronger. The statistics did not change, I just made sure the behavior was reliable. Luckily there's a balance patch coming in soon, then they can adjust it accordingly.

Note though that when testing:

• The longer the distance, the weaker the tractor beams
  • If you move all units to one side of the colossus, one of the tractor beams may not be able to reach a target

Moving towards the colossus is a very bad idea with these changes.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in The new colossus is a beast:

Moving towards the colossus is a very bad idea with these changes.

Usually he comes for you now what :psyho:

another "percy noob trap" change poggers

@ftxcommando

Just build Continentals and drop all the percies right behind the GC :^)

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

wAs tHiS tEsTeD bEfOrE rElEaSe?

@zeldafanboy Can the colossus use a tractor beam to grab the transport just before it drops?

@arma473

I hope so lol

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@arma473 said in The new colossus is a beast:

@zeldafanboy Can the colossus use a tractor beam to grab the transport just before it drops?

It can grab one that is landed, but I don't think it can when it is trying to drop.

I wanna see it grab a Continental

@veteranashe I just tested. It grabbed it, but cannot grab if at least 1 unit is on board (because it cannot land).

It should really stop lasering a unit being tractor-beamed, it can even rotate the colossus.

Last time I checked it does.

The real question here is who wins, a Continental Getto v a gc?

I just noticed the gc kills reclaim as it walks, has this always been a thing and do other t4's do this?

its due to the gc dose stopimg damage like you cna damges units by walking on them

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Its nice to see the GC get that annoying bug fixed. Still can laser pulled units though. Being objectively weaker than the Ythotha in 99% of situations while costing more was always a sore spot. Hopefully this will encourage counter play. E.g: Flanking to exploiting the GC's firing arc.

However, it looks like the bug was fixed by completely removing the Tractor Claw fire cool down. It was previously supposed to be ~6 seconds if memory serves, but because of the bug it was longer and buggy. The result is the GC hoovers up units as soon as the claw is free. This in turn results in the claws firing faster the closer units are to the claws themselves as there is less distance for the unit to travel while pulled towards the claw. This was mentioned by @Jip in post #4.

Full disclosure, I'm an Aeon main, so seeing the GC be revamped is very nice. This was a change long needed. That said, it pains me to admit that I think it may have gone too far. As it stands the GC is too effective at fighting T3 armies, especially if they move in close.

My suggestion would be to keep everything the same except the speed at which units travel while pulled by the Tractor Claws. By slowing down the speed at which the Tractor Claws pull units towards the Claws themselves (time of flight if you will), you effectively reduce the DPS of the Claws while maintaining the nice interaction between the distance of enemy units to the GC and the effectiveness of the Tractor Claws.

TL;DR - Basically, make it take longer for a lifted unit to reach the claw itself and the problem goes away while keeping the best aspects of the new change.
Please consider my suggestion @Jip.

Also, I noticed that spinning percivals somehow manage to shoot the GC, but this doesn't happen often. Shouldn't their weapons be disabled? Maybe EMP everything being pulled.