Code Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

But that was more than half a decade ago. Things might have changed. Also I guess the hardest part is even finding the right person to talk to in such a big company. I don't know if visionik ever found the right person.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

The only way to get them to budge on that one is if we all stop playing and casting. We keep generating sales and until their sheets read 0¥ for awhile they probably won't shift position.

And heck this source code. If I had enough money to pull this off Square I'd have enough to hire devs and make something more modern to read in the blueprints and map files.

Otherwise look at obscure leftover laws that allows the seizure of assets held by foreign corporations.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@kalethequick I doubt they'll even bat an eye for it, I worry more about the fact that they will sell it to someone else because they think it became obsolete

FAF Website Developer

FAF funds are so minor I doubt we even pay off the interest that the original 35 million could have been getting in a savings account, even if you assume literally every dollar of supreme commander since 2013 was due to FAF.

Square Enix bought it for cheap as a AAA title during a bankruptcy sale, they aren’t going to keel over from community action. In fact, we aren’t even certain if Square Enix themselves even HAVE the source code for this game and if they don’t the entire discussion is totally pointless because who cares about the ip.

This post is deleted!

Even if we somehow had the money, and SE was willing to sell, it'd probably be better to just put that much money towards developing a new, modern game.

@snagglefox said in Code Wars Episode IV: A New Hope:

Even if we somehow had the money, and SE was willing to sell, it'd probably be better to just put that much money towards developing a new, modern game.

That wouldn’t be very forever of forged alliance forever.

@ftxcommando I care about the IP. This game is what got me through that one time I accidentally made ISIS. Sorry, Middle east...

Though I'm willing to abandon it if we made a community built knockoff. With the United Dirt Entente, the Cyberon, and Eon Glowocracy.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

Buying just the IP without source code would be already a major leap forward out of the legal grey area we are operating under.
We could not just distribute the mods, but Forged Alliance itself as all-in-one package.

Also theoretically we could reuse all assets in an open source rewrite attempt.
Using the original assets is an important aspect to keep the flair. If you rewrite something and use different assets, it's just a new game.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@brutus5000 Well, there is really only one way to find out, reach out to square enix and see what they say. I think this is their contact page https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/contact.html

Maybe a partnership deal could be made or something. We can speculate on what they might say or do but at the end on the day the best way to know is just to ask even if it is a longshot.

Never Fear, A Geek is Here!