Individual rewards from teamgames

There is a lot of salt coming from players that believe they did a better job in game than there teammates and therefore believe they will lose rating becouse of their teamates.

So my idea is to reward or punish player score based on a more individual basis.

lets say a player wins there slot and beats their mirror, but their team loses the game, that player would lose points even if they played really well and most of the time take this out on their team mates.

so why not reward that player individually lets say as an example, there will be -20 points for each member on the losing team but that one player would be given 10 points for defeating their mirror opponent and ten more points for most enemy mass killed ect so if a player does really well in game but still loses the team game they are not punished like their team mates who didnt do so well. they could actually still gain in points even if their team loses.

There could be other reward factors other than sniping acu's like best kill/loss ratio or something.

This i believe would minimize most salty chat in teamgames becouse that person cant blame others for their loss.

You'll end up with people flaming about kill stealing and accusing one another of stealing rating.

@mazornoob said in Lower toxic chat in teamgames with individual points:

You'll end up with people flaming about kill stealing and accusing one another of stealing rating.

Not just flaming about it. You'll end up with people doing those things.

And: intentionally not supporting teammates. Why donate power to a teammate if that means they get more rating than you?

Why should a beach player walk their ACU to mid to help the mid player? Just walk to mid, steal some mass, and walk away.

Why make ASFs when you can make strat bombers and take all the glory?

For team games we want people to rise and fall as a team. If you care about rating, you should only care about helping your team to win, not about glory for yourself. If you want to get a certain behavior, you should incentivize it.

Good point, maybe points can be given for another factor like kill/loss ratio or something that isnt so direct?

@arma473 Hey this looks like what happens in some of my games anyway! But yeah you're 100% correct, this'll just make that issue that much worse,

@Zukko Unfortunately I really don't think there's a way to implement such a system in a way that isn't going to lead to more cancer in games instead of less. There's a reason why there's nothing like this in other team games that I know of, people will try to game it for rating and care more about getting rating rather than actually winning as a team.

What about a system for you to freely give a point to your teammates for being good teammates after a game? Getting a certain number of points could lead to getting an avatar or some other rewards. Sure this will be gamed, but at least I don't think it would lead to more cancer unless I'm being naive or missing something.

I conducted an anonymous survey on the topic of toxicity. So far, only in the ru-segment ( it's easier for me to perceive the answers this way ). Most of the respondents suggested giving mutas in the game chat. You can see the discussions of this topic here: https://forum.faforever.com/topic/1813/collaborative-contribution-in-faf/2
Or read it in the FAF offline discord in the FAF Association section

@kitenoob said in Lower toxic chat in teamgames with individual points:

Most of the respondents suggested giving mutas in the game chat.

You can already mute other players in your game...

@archsimkat Nope
Function has been broken for years

@archsimkat yes, this function is really broken

@archsimkat said in Lower toxic chat in teamgames with individual points:

@kitenoob said in Lower toxic chat in teamgames with individual points:

Most of the respondents suggested giving mutas in the game chat.

You can already mute other players in your game...

Really? How?

good point.

to avoid making the games more cancerous maybe we can use several objective indicators to add or deduct the score change after the game..

for example. you can use the already available data in "end of game report". some objective indicators would be ranking in terms of mass income/kill/units/total buildings(mexs).

so if you won your mirror and moved into their base while your teammates lost and you end up being flanked. you would still have had the highest unit count/total mass reclaimed or kills and if these indicators affect the score. you would still be rewarded. (clarification: I am suggesting we use how well you did in these indicators compared to other players. so having the highest mass income/kills and losing would still mean you did something better than everyone )

as an added bonus this would make the rating more realistic and prevents players from being underrated.

Playing a teamgame is about winning as a team and not about "everybody win their lane and if you don't, I will blame you for losing". With these incentives you are incentivising that people try to maximize their indicators even at the expense of their team instead of promoting team play.

Why would you want to play teamgames anyway instead of 1v1 if you just want to win against your "lane" opponent?

Exactly what BlackYps said, this is a team game. I said this earlier in their thread and I’ll say it again: there is no possible way you can set up a system in which some players on a losing team still get points that wouldn’t increase the amount of people cancering to get points every game.

You want points? Win the game for your team. Don’t do a 1v1, playing to win vs your mirror. Play to win all slots, not your slot. Players generally aren’t underrated when they have hundreds of games. Sure they might be underrated at times due to a string of unlucky games, but otherwise that’s not really the case.

No other competitive team game that I know of gives out rating to the best performing players on the losing team.

Toxic people should be underrated already. Destroying team morale is pretty big in team games.

made the "noob team i played epic" joke one too many times and now I don't have enough FAF social credit score to ride the bus, what should I do?