I have proven myself consistent in maintaining my duties and responsibilities across 3 years and have over the time proactively taken additional responsibilities in order to keep the FAF Project operating at the highest level we can attain with the resources available to us. I will continue to do precisely the same for my next mandate.
Over the last few years I have worked with BlackYps to create a working structure to replace TrueSkill as a metric of players to identify one another. This is intended to give people a larger motivation to keep playing games as it gives people small scale goals that incentivize playing while also eliminating the inevitability of treating TrueSkill as a highscore rather than a gauge of player ability.
Essentially, you will need a certain amount of points to rank up or down from your division. Once you reach some arbitrary count, say 10 points, with a win being 1 point and a loss being -1 points, then you would rank up. In addition, certain division levels will be attached to certain TrueSkill levels and if you are considered "underrated" for your division (for example you are 1200 but your division is intended for 1000 TrueSkill players) then you would have your point gain inflated. This way, even if you maintain a 50/50 win rate you will reach your intended division for your TrueSkill level.
This in turn allows us to operate with "rating resets" or rather division resets across seasons as we can have people get a soft reset down 3 divisions and then work back up. There's more to the system itself and how it will work with other parts of FAF, but that's the general ideas.
I'm planning on hedging the FAFLive channel as a way to garner interest in external promoters for some of the bigger end of the year events. With about 100 reliable viewers at any general point in time and (hopefully) aiming for 250-300 during this year's LotS, we should be entering the realm where sponsors may be interested in helping support community events. Ideally this results in both more tournaments and more exposure for FAF through coordinated media campaigns and connections to real world firms.
Since there has been a lot of interest in revisiting the concept of polling for map ratings, I'll bring back the idea and see the level of participation for the next few months. In order to minimize work on my end, I'll have it primarily focus on new maps and have players be able to vote on which new maps they would be interested in seeing in ladder.
I also plan on working with BlackYps to create a better matchmaking algorithm that has an additional variable to account for range in TrueSkill between teammates. Mainly, it will give a bias to creating teams that are closer to mu when possible.
I also want to fish around and find someone to help create a no-repeat function for matchmakers. Askaholic and I have been talking about a way to make it work as it scales up for larger team sizes without requiring massive ui changes, but we haven't ironed much out.
I will be trying to fish for additional individuals to help out in utilizing tournaments as a way to promote the 2v2 matchmaker. Mainly, hosting events that are based around the matchmaker such as doing an invite for the top 8 or 12 players and having them choose teammates through a Captain system.
And to reiterate, I will be working on these new projects on top of the work I do in the link above. Nothing is getting dropped.
I commit to:
- Communicating with as many FAF players as is possible to gather, represent, and promote their ideas and interests.
- Organizing a schedule of the FAF community project events.
- Organizing tournament directors who run tournaments for players.
- Gathering feedback from the FAF project community to determine their top desires and problems.
- Presenting and represent this information in the best interests of the players to the Council of Setons.
I do not take the Councillor Pledge because it is folly and the current writing of it calls for several current Councillors to resign or be replaced. Read: "I understand that if I am unable to perform these duties, I will resign or be replaced" & "I will spend at least 4 hours per week working on These Responsibilities" in combination with "avoid bringing FAF into disrepute"
I will instead pledge:
- I will work to accomplish the interests of the FAF general userbase and FAF contributor to the best of my ability. When interests of the various userbases collide or the userbase clashes with contributors, I will work to create a compromise that best serves all involved. I will maximize the interests of FAF.
- I will maintain the same level of work ethic that I have maintained through all my years on FAF.
- I will act as the voice for players across all levels of FAF while also acting as their ears and eyes.
- I will pledge to work on both making a new Councillor Pledge and holding current Councillors responsible for their failure to uphold their current pledge. They should be expected to justify why they represent the best interest of FAF while failing to maintain their pledge minimum expectations.
And that last pledge point will be my first action as Player Councillor.